Sign in to follow this  
Guest evansgg

Best settings/driver for ATI9600?

Guest evansgg

I am not sure if I can get better than this, but I changed over from an Nvidea 128mb 5200fx card to an ATI Radeon 9600Pro 256mb card recently and I am not too happy with the results. I first tried using Omega drivers because I had heard it made the fps faster. Result was pixelated and very yellow shots plus unstable using SanFran2005 and Seattle2005. I switched to the ATI Catalyst drivers and although the yellowish tinge went I was left with this multicoloured pixel effect in the distance. I have posted 3 UK shots in the screenshots section of the Nvidea, Omega, and Catalyst screens and would appreciate it if anyone else could comment on the visual quality, especially if they have the same card. Thanks :-shy

Guest twsimfan

I started with a 9700 Pro on this system. It died some time back... about 6 months I think? Dell quickly (2 days) replaced it but they couldn't get a 9700 Pro so I got a free upgrade to a 9800 Pro. I have always used the Catalyst drivers with both and have never had a problem. It all looks great and my frame rates are good also.

Guest evansgg

Are they just as good in all versions ie. with the UK version? No pixellation at all?Gary

Guest twsimfan

Gary,I have no pixellation that I see... and I'm using a 19" LCD... a good one. I have no knowledge of different versions. I'm in Colorado USA so if there is a version of the drivers specific to the UK I'm not using it. If you mean the UK version of FU3... well I use the US version.

Gary,I use the Catalyst 4.9 drivers with my Radeon 9800 Pro, and everything is fine. I also have FSAA set to 6x, and anisotropic filtering to 16x (I really couldn't use FU3 without these excellent image smoothing techniques) :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Seadog

I don't have quite the same card as yours, Gary. Mine's a plain 9600 with 256 MB. I get no pixellation and no discoloring.The absolute best place I've ever gone for help with settings on modern ATI cards ishttp://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.htmlThis is quite a long treatise, which is a good thing, because every setting is explained in fully adequate detail. Read this if you are serious about getting the most from your ATI card. For one thing, it convinced me to drop the fancy new ATI Catalyst Control CENTER in favor of the older (but fully functional) Catalyst Control PANEL. I hope it helps you and all other ATI card users.-Seadog

Guest evansgg

Thank you for your input. I unloaded and reloaded my program and it seems to be much better now. I must have accidentally changed a cfg setting somewhere!