Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Carquinez Bridge

Why does the model of the Carquinez Bridge float in the air ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Chris,Because it's anchored at one end? Dunno - were it anchored in the middle, it wouldn't (I don't think). Models CAN use negative values however, FLED always locates the lowest portion as 'ground level'. If this portion touches any part of the terrain mesh, THAT contact point is assumed as 'ground'.The only solution is to redo the model however, it would have to be deleted from the modelmip.tag file (after deleting in FLED), and the new one would have to be manually placed - although this last part could be done as a package and simply installed.Maybe, just release the corrected bridge in a package with an instruction to delete the original in FLED (and leave the original one in the tagfile)? So, you wanna new (corrected) bridge? ;):-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest effyouthree

Chris,'Corrected bridge' was a term I applied loosely :-rollIt looks NOTHING like the FU3 version! In fact, the bridge was replaced in 2003 however, the FU3 one still looks nothing like the previous one!!See the photos below, the suspension bridge is the new one. Do you think I should create a new one (I think so...)?Artist's impressionhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/106740.jpgCompleted!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/106741.jpgLet's bring this one up to date :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest juvat2

Is that bridge about the same dimensions as the Tacoma Narrows bridge?If close in size, convert TN bridge to 3ds then meshscale.exe and re-palletize to suite?Or to crazy?JimB

Guest effyouthree

Jim,I think that the Narrows' approaches are a bit lower but I'll check. Span is 5939' vs. 3464' for Carquinez Bridge. Likewise, height of the Narrows' is 195' vs. 156'.Of course, they're adding another one soon, so it will look like this in 2007:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/106744.jpg:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Jon,I would like you to add the following models (should you wish to do so)........1. A new version of the existing Carquinez Bridge....plus the new suspension bridge next to it.2. A new version of the Benicia-Martinez rail bridge (located near Buchanan Field)....plus the new road bridge next to it. I added a compromise (based on the Dumbarton bridge), but this can hit the garbage can if you decide to build us a new model ;-)3. The Dumbarton rail bridge. This is located close to the road bridge (near Palo Alto airport), and it can be clearly seen in the texture maps. It appears to have two trestle sections (one with seven trestles over the main channel, and another with a single trestle), but the majority of the bridge is open track with multiple pillar supports. I have attached three photographs of the bridge (the best that I could find).So, are you up for it ? :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Bridgebuilder,You can push the bridge model into the ground until the center is grounded. Just use FledViewer and decrease the z location value of the particular model. It's possible to do so for large buildings located on hill side also. Part of them are then in the ground and it's look better than corner floating in the air. :-wave agtim

Guest effyouthree

Thanks, Andre ;)I'd forgotten about our new technology! I will try this before I place the new bridges. At least it means I can ignore the fact that the water slopes by 6m from end to end :-eekQuestion is, if I 'push' mine into the water then release the package, is everyone else's like mine or do they have to 'push' their bridges into the water as well? If so, then I'd better make it fit as-is ;):-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Andre,I tried that....and the bridge vanished ! No, I don't mean that it sank into the ground. I mean that the model itself disappeared from the file (I checked the file size).Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

No, Andre's method should work - I used it a lot for setting the pylon heights (which have to be exactly equal independent of the ground height) for the Docklands Light Railway, and had no problem. You may have accidentally clicked on the bridge box Chris - there is a little box in agtim's viewer next to each object, and clearing the tick mark here deletes the model. Restore from your backup and try again! Unless its an original game object or on a tile boudary or some other special case ...RobD.

Hi Jon, The settings are retained in the mod file so all will have it and you must do it only once. :-wave agtim

Hi Rob and Chris,Yes it's as Robert says, try again, good luck :-) :-wave agtim

Guest glidernut

Yes, Iv been useing Agtim,s Fled.modViewer and MovObjViewer.exea lot lately.Iv been working with very big models on a megertile boundry and I got into all sorts of teoubl that thees tools got me out of.Not only that but you can do all sorts of things you carnt do withFled. Thay are a real god send.glidernut.

Robert,Maybe that was the cause of the problem. Anyway, I have already restored the model from the CD.Andre's FLEDViewer utility certainly is very handy when problems arise at tile boundaries. I have not yet encountered any "rogue" pylons in the SanFran region, but I have had to remove several runways ! This is because I use the "9kx150" runway model as a straight edge when placing pylons. It is a good way of working out the exact orientation of the line of pylons as they twist and turn in their journey across the terrain ;-)What do you mean by "setting the pylon heights" ? I do nothing more than add the models to the scenery, and they are always sitting pretty when I check them (unless I try to place a large pylon on a steep slope. Jon made the intermediate pylon pivotable around one leg, so these can be added on sloped terrain...which is VERY handy for mountainous areas, but I have to be far more careful with the larger versions. I prefer adding these on flat plains) :-)Chris Low.PS. The package is now 174K and rising.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

"Setting the pylon heights": for the London City Airport, I added the DLR, an elevated railway which passes to the north of the runway. This has a little train going back and fowards on it. The supporting pylons (mine, not Jon's excellent electricity pylons) for the railway must all be exactly level, or the train appears/disappears every time it changes to the next. I used agtim's program to change the height above sea level of each pylon to the same value.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/107232.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/107233.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/107234.jpg