Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

AMAZING NEWS !!!

The unofficial word is that the Sold Out version of Flight Unlimited 3 will be released next month. More news when I get it.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Well eeven if its just the bog standerd FU3 like Tom Wunder says. Its still good news, I mean, I remember when Chirs low was toledby a magerzeen that thay wouldent print his artical on FU3 bicousthay thort it rong to print an artical obout a flight sim thatcould no longer be perchesd.Fortchoonatly that magerzeen changed its mined, but no one couldsay that agen if SOLD OUT start seling it.Lets keep ouwer fingers crosed.And legs, and iys, and every thing crassed.glidernut.:-wave

Guest R_Driscoll

Lets keep ouwer fingers crosed.And legs, and iys, and every thing crassed.`Sounds like the way I fly. Especially if its a low trip (fingers crossed), IFR trip (eyes crossed)or a long trip (legs crossed).I would love to see FU3 released again. Then we would REALLY have to tidy up the AVSIM library!RobD.

The evidence is getting stronger. I have just seen one or two internet sites that are confirming Flight Unlimited 3 as one of several new Sold Out budget releases for March 2005.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have been corresponding with Tech Support at SOLD OUT over the last few days, and I have been told that a direct link to this forum will be provided in the technical support section for Flight Unlimited 3 on their website.I have also been told that the budget version is basically the same as the boxed copy, except that the relevant patch will also be included on the CD. I mentioned the problem regarding the intro movie, and they replied that they had suffered no problems during testing, but that they would check this out. Maybe the intro movie was removed before the software was provided to Sold Out ?Anyway, it's no great loss. Who cares about the starter when the main course looks as good as this ? ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Pieter

Good news in some way, I just have to figure out what it is...Now for the but: if there are no improvements of the original package, as said above, what's the use? FU3 is still working on my PC, but the internal graphics code is by far outdated. No matter how fast the PC, I still get poor frame rates rendering the flight models useless when the weather gets complex... and basically any "new" aircraft use more or less the same internal code than the few default aircraft, no matter how good they look. To me, personally, FU3 is getting now very-very old..., er, archaic? The cockpit resolution, gauge clarity, etc. etc.Pieter

The important point to make here is that FU3 has been RE-RELEASED ! To be honest, I didn't believe that this would EVER happen, so this in itself is a cause for celebration.Another important point is that a lot of flight simmers have never experienced the wonderful world of Flight Unlimited 3. It was an amazing achievement in its day, and it is a credit to the developers that it can still hold its head high today. I suspect (based on the number of copies of FU2 that have been shifted since it was released on the SOLD OUT budget label) that there is a rather large market for a decent civilian flight simulator that only costs a fiver. In fact, that low price is significant. It would cost a new user

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

I second that,cheers,:-beerchug glidernut:-beerchug

Guest Seadog

Chris - Just a quick follow up on the legalities issue. Finally found the information I was looking for.FU2, on page ii of the manual, indicates the program is copyrighted in 1997 to Looking Glass Studios. On the other hand, FU3, on page 164 of the manual, states that software and documentation is copyrighted 1999 to both Electronic Arts and Looking Glass. Whatever the complexities might be of dual copyright holders, and assuming that it was legally valid, when LGS went into bankruptcy, it could conceivably have sold its portion of the rights out of bankruptcy to someone other than EA. That could have led to the protracted "ownership dispute" you have mentioned, a most unusual circumstance.In the event, any such dispute has clearly been resolved, all to the benefit of the new users and the community at large.I ran across this in the course of reading again the printed manuals for both programs. The manual for FU2 is a gem, extraordinarily thorough and informative.-Seadog

Guest R_Driscoll

I think having FU3 re-released is great, and I hope some users find their way here.Agtim, you are devouring UK at a great rate! As usual, the terrain looks excellent, and the hill edges look very accurate - better than the LGS default! I have gone ahead with Biggin Hill, knowing I will have to redo it once you get that far. I had to change heights (using your model editor) of objects several times, to match things properly. And I changed a model without deleting it first - the worst sin, so had to use your model editor program again to delete it. Southend I think is on pause at the moment until agtim flattens the seas (I know you told me how to, and I've done that for myself - painted it '0', but I'll wait until the 'official version' is at the correct height now. Agtim, I'd like to include Cowes in your IOW package and re-release it (no, not under any budget label). I've redone Osborne House (better gardens). But if you prefer I'll release Cowes as a separate package. Congrats Chris on your own recent releases - I do one airport and you do 30 - amazing. Cheers all,RobD.

Hi Robert,Ok I will flatten the sea at Southend.Caution Biggin Hill area is not done now and I have just finished IOW.The Biggin Hill area is the next part on my workbench so South East will be finished soon.No changes at Bembridge, Sandown and the Needles. The center tiles of iow has changed a bit (Cowes). For Cowes build a separate package please it is not in the same tile aniway and I will rework Bembridge/Sandown a bit. :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

OK, no problem.

Robert,Seattle 2005 does not include any NEW airfields. It's just that the existing ones have been tweaked into another dimension :-)Actually, it's the SanFran region that I am concentrating on at the moment. I am working with Jon Point to try and add lots of interesting models and scenery packages throughout the region. The electricity pylons are a good start, but there will be far more to see when the pack is finished.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png