Sign in to follow this  
Guest Motormouse

Outer terrain textures

Guest Motormouse

Having a break from electrical theory and practice,I found that Jak Fearon has re-released the 'How-in-the-world'texture set that was originally freeware for Fly!2 as a payware item.http://www.howintheworld.com/index.htmlJust wondering if they could be used to brighten up the outer terraintextures?:-wavePete

Guest Pieter

Hmm, you see this is where I have my doubts about "re-living" FU3. That was about the first thing I did many ages ago, to try and "fix" the outer terrain, with absolutely no success whatsoever! :-( What's even worse, is that there is no way to do a full ATC controlled flight from any outer terrain airports to the hi-res areas. The flight levels and centre control are non-existent... Pity - FU is as it is no matter how many more new users we get by the reselling of it. It's like buying Falcon 3 (combat sim) with Falcon 4 available (he-he, and even the latter is totally useless regarding the latest graphic cards). The "new" MSFS development and release of yet another (FS10/FS2006?) is close at hand!Pieter

Guest juvat2

Hi, "dirtymac" had used some fly(1 or 2?) textures with his gtleditor. Didn't look all that bad. I missed out on the free-ware howintheworld textures; so will never know what it could have done for Flt3's outer terrain.It would take lots of work to completely replace all the o/t textures(day & nite), would also call for re-writing all aspect of rules.txt.I think Tomi Lito's Chicago were Fly textures(1 or 2?).***Would have been nice if he'd uploaded his site here at the library b4 he took it down.The JAS textures would work well in the Canadian provinces I think, like Victoria. The snow/mountain textures work well in the Rockies.I don't have UK hi-res, so never downloaded the UK models set. But I imagine those models(buildings) might look proper in Victoria area.JimB

why not just take this new pictures around the Seattle area and enlarge the Seattle high res area ? Now Seattle is 10 x 10 megatiles but fu3 can support much more as seen with UKS having 64 x 40 megatiles in size and still working well with full details at 4meters/pixel. Have take a look at the Server on the north of Seattle area, all missing parts are there. :-wave agtim

Guest juvat2

Hi Agtim,How far north, west, east, south can we go if color ortho's can be had of hi-res Sea UTM?Possible free-ware hi-res color ortho's is USA Photomapper to .5 megapixel. Color ortho coverage availability is limited though.JimB

Hi Jim,Unfortunately the lower left point is fixed to aaaa tile so:west nonesouth noneeast up to 6 degrees (UTM-zone limit)north up to ?? degrees may be up to Alaska :-) max. to Northpole.If you want to expand to the west and South, then you will have to rename all seattle megatiles and the references to it (airports, .mod files, FLED files all are using tile names an refer to the UTM locator of the lower left corner.I think expanding to Vancouver is easy :-) :-wave agtim

Vancouver would be a major improvement. Actually, expanding the area to the west or to the east would be far less interesting than including Vancouver. If we could get this British Columbia hub inside the Seattle hi-res area we would get a second major city to fly to and from. Needless to say, once the hi-res megatiles are available there would be a lot of FLED-work left to do and we might want quite a few new models to populate the area. Then we might want some Canadian liveries :-) Hans Petter

Guest Seadog

Hello - Including Vancouver, B.C., would be a great idea, not only for the scenery and the normal general aviation opportunities, but also for the seaplane activities. I would attach the following tremendous photo of two Harbour Air De Havilland Canada DHC-3's landing together in that gorgeous harbor, but it would violate the copyright, so please look for yourself at http://www.airliners.net/open.file/704411/M/This is an active harbor, full of shipping, pleasure boating and seaplane traffic toward the western end in what is known as the Coal Harbour area. The unique floating fuel docks add color and activity and are ablaze at night with their neon lighted signs and trim lighting, as I mentioned recently to Chris Low. See the following four photos, not subject to stringent copyrights, I gleaned from the web. This is the first time I've tried uploading images in this forum, and If I mess it up, I'll try again, as they're worth a look.:-shy -Seadog

Guest effyouthree

I'm 'all up' for any expansion to the Seattle area! Certainly, Vancouver would be nice, but who's going to make the models? I'm still doing Sanfran...I'd really like to extend East past Wenatchee to Spokane if possible. This is really pretty country as I have seen in photos sent to me by Blanik America (Vitek Siroky). It's their home base and I'd love to do some more 'glidery' stuff there. It would also make those short, 40 minute 'before dinner' jaunts much more interesting as you would actually have something to look at on descent to the East. These days I do them all East to West and just try not to look too hard until I'm over the hi-res terrain. It makes a nice flight, especially when the weather over the mountains is bad and Seattle appears through the clouds on descent. It's real nice in the early evening too with a red band on the horizon and the lights of Seattle fading in ;)Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

I fully appreciate that it takes a lot of time to create good models. However, if Vancouver (or any other hi-res extension) could start out with good scenery and a runway the models can be made little by little. We might start out with packages using stock models and get the more appropriate custom models later. Some of my UK buildings might fit in repalletized versions, even though the architecture of western Canada tends to be less "British" than that of the northeastern US. Actually, the stock Seattle buildings would fit and a lot of the SanFran buildings would fit too. The latter would imply repalletizing.My point is, once the hi-res area is available the creation of models and packages will commence and there's no hurry getting finished.Hans Petter

Vancouver will just fit in the leftmost column of the high res area but 8 megatiles up. We will need 8 x 10 megatiles to create this Seattle upgrade that means 80 new megatiles. Finally Seattle will the be a 18 x 10 area, near the double as now.Now we need just all this texture at 4m/pixel. :-wave agtim