Sign in to follow this  
Guest effyouthree

Jon empties his model closet...

Guest effyouthree

Dear All,Here's some previews of some things to come! On Chris' suggestion, I dug out some old models and spruced them up, whilst adding a few to boot! These will all end up in a new set of packages for Sanfran and will also be uploaded to the Avsim library.My apologies for not releasing them earlier but they were mostly unfinished or buggy. Chris' input made me get off my butt and finish them off.It's alright, though 95% complete, the S340 has driven me nuts *:-*Firstly, water anyone? These are just 2 - there are 4 tanks in totalhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109040.jpgAM radio towers are usually of interest to low-flying GA pilots!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109042.jpgTV towers, on the other hand, are something to avoid...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109043.jpgAnd these? Well, you can go over OR under them if you wish... First person (apart from Chris Low) who guesses where this is gets a bridge package ;)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109044.jpgThere are a few others as well - you'll see them soon :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest esveld

Very nice....Could you even add some flashlights for in the dark?

Awesome work, Jon. I can't wait to add those beauties to SanFran 2005.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'd be glad, if you could reedit the pylon package with these models, if it is possible, Chris.B.Adamski

These models would be the cream of the crop in any sim :-)All of this "verticality" will make low altitude VFR more interesting. The various masts will serve as splendid landmarks and if the radio/TV towers get a beacon on top they'll be great for night flights too. Hans Petter

Bogdan,These bridges are in a separate package from the pylons. I could certainly add them to the SanFran Pylons package itself....with Jon's permission (particularly as his installation instructions are so precise), but it is worth bearing in mind that he has plenty more goodies in the pipeline for the near future. In my opinion, keeping all of these models in separate packages is a better idea, since this provides more flexibility for the end user.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Esveld,Every single model you see here has a light on top! In fact, the bridges between them have 7!The bridges use nightlighting as well i.e. they are floodlit, and have streetlights down each side and a lit roadway.I'll post some shots tomorrow!...you may need your sunnies at night ;) Rob, you'll probably be able to see them from UKS :-lolRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest R_Driscoll

See them from the UKS? No way. Too foggy.But I will probably try to import them into the UKS - night freighter registered in Andaman or Panama, speedboats to ship them ashore at the dead of night, it'll cost millions but it will be worth it.Congrats again Jon - they are excellent quality models.RobD.

Guest effyouthree

As someone asked, yes there are 2 bridges.Here's a shot from the other side:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109161.jpgI suppose now I have to redo the Golden Gate (and Tacoma Narrows...) :-rollThe 'other' models are part of my own package and are not really part of the model set. And, why email me when you could post here? :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Jon,Is that a joke...or are you really interested in my suggestion to upgrade the Golden Gate Bridge ? It could certainly do with an upgrade (a new see through arch on the south side, a solid concrete structure to replace the arch on the north side (since there IS NO ARCH on this side of the bridge), and unique approach ramps on both sides), and it would blend in better with that scenery package of Horseshoe Harbour that I want to create.I have attached a screenshot of the north side of the bridge, and this clearly shows the solid concrete structure. Interestingly, it also shows the small lighthouse that sits at the foot of the north tower. That will have to be added to the package mentioned above :-)Chris Low.PS. Perhaps you could throw in a model of Fort Point as a bonus ? ;-)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

I seem to remember Tomi Lehto doing an 'improved' model of the GG bridge - he took the stock LGS model and added earthquake damage.Jon you do some very nice work - that is an elegant bridge. But what happened to the power pylon in the middle of the water in the first shot?RobD.

Guest effyouthree

Chris,Yes, I am looking at the GG. I actually have a lovely 3DS model of it - all 12,000 polygons of it (oh, the wires, the wires...) but I think I'll do it in the same vein as Carquinez. That method seems to work well and uses very few polygons.Biggest models I've ever done in Anim8or - it's nice to use 1:1 for a change. I'll put some night shots in another thread.Rob,Did you see my posting somewhere about earthquakes? I'm serious - I've been shaken apart a few times :-eek I tried last night to duplicate it but it never happened. Durn earthquakes never happen when you want them to...As to the power pylon, what do you think I was using as a racing pylon for the Saab? It was under the right wing :-lolRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest CaptRolo

WOW ! really looks nice ,good job mate .CaptRolo

Jon/Robert,Talking of pylons, I have discovered a "rogue" pylon between Palo Alto and Moffett Field that is proving to be a bit of a problem. I was busy adding concrete bases to those pylons that sit in water (or in salt evaporators....there are plenty around this location), and I clicked on the pylon to check the orientation. This resulted in a FLED crash.Fair enough, I thought. I'll just use Andre's FLEDViewer utility to get rid of it. The pylon sits right on top of the agac/agad megatile boundary, so I identified it in both, and deleted it (plus the concrete base, since this was also proving to be a problem). I then checked the location using FLED, and both the pylon and concrete base had gone.Good, problem solved.Er.....no.I needed to add a replacement pylon in this location. I appreciated that this would need to be offset slightly (to avoid the megatile boundary problem), but I then encountered a problem that I have not seen before. When I placed the new pylon in the scenery (and attempted to rotate it), an error message appeared. This basically stated (I don't have the exact message to hand at the moment, since I am at work) that the texture map t_twr2.mip can't be found anywhere !This resulted in FLED closing down.I have even tried adding a pylon somewhere else, and the same error message appears ! What on Earth is going on ? I have sent an e-mail to Andre, and I am now praying that a simple solution can be found.Any ideas ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

Chris, this is an old problem. I think the original San Fran database had a few errors in it - incomplete and unused models etc. When I recompiled it I went through the same issue, and in the end simply copied another mip and renamed it. There were two or three of them, and they were all mips for control towers. I forget what they all were called. And for some reason these errors didn't seem to matter until I had rebuilt the database. Now you are seeing the same problem. So the easiest solution is to just take another mip, copy and rename it to t_twr2.mip. That will work, provided there are no other bugs in the package.Hope this helps,RobD.