Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Sold Out version of FU3

I have just received my very own copy of the Sold Out version of FU3. Who could have imagined that this was ever going to happen ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have just installed the Sold Out version of FU3 on my work PC, and this is what I found.The standard Sold Out menu screen loads up after inserting the install CD, except that you are now presented with a MAD4GAMES advert (mobile phone games). This is probably because (as far as I am aware) MAD4GAMES are now the owners of Sold Out Software.Clicking on the INSTALL button at the top left of the screen presents the EULA, and then a message about exiting the Sold Out menu screen so that installation can begin. Clicking on "OK" activates the standard FU3 installation procedure that we all know and love so much ;-)The same message regarding Windows 2000 is displayed (you know the one), and then the standard install options are displayed. Installation is identical to the boxed copy (the same screenshots are displayed, and the same audio clips are played throughout the install process).When installation is complete, you are taken back to the Sold Out menu screen. You can then select PATCHES, and this opens up a new window with the FU3Patch executable, and the patch readme file. I suspect that you all know what to do from there :-)The manual is provided in .pdf format, and (just like the boxed copy), there is NO Seattle map....which is a shame.Double clicking on the desktop shortcut to load the game reveals no problems with respect to "intro movies". The Electronic Arts and Looking Glass Studios logos are displayed in succession, and then the options screen appears. Everything about the game appears to be identical to the boxed copy, which supports the information provided by Sold Out Tech Support that the software has been provided "as is". In other words, don't expect UKS to be included !One aspect that I will be checking with Tech Support at Sold Out concerns the patch. I am pretty sure that "FU3Patch.exe" is the designation of the US version of the patch. I suspect this means that the budget release is the standard US version only, but I will try and get confirmation of this.The game works fine on my work PC (with Windows XP Home Edition installed).Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Tech Support at Sold Out have responded to an e-mail that I sent regarding the patch. It seems that there is only one version of this budget release, which presumably means the standard (US) version.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Robert_S

>The same message regarding Windows 2000 is displayed (you know>the one)...No, I don't. I never attempted reinstalling FU3 after I switched to Windows 2000. Are they incompatible? I recall some discussion about this in the forum, but I don't recall the details. Memory, y'know... it evaporates with age. :-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Guest twsimfan

So Chris does it allow you to install the FU2 scenery?

Tom,Yes, it is exactly the same install routine as the boxed copy.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Bob,If you are using Windows XP (or presumably Windows 2000) a small box appears, stating that the product was released before Windows 2000 existed, and therefore you might experience some problems.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Robert_S

OK, thanks Chris.Now that I think a bit on it, if I recall correctly most folks running Win2K didn't have any trouble with it.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Guest twsimfan

Tom wrote: "So Chris does it allow you to install the FU2 scenery?"Chris replied: "Yes, it is exactly the same install routine as the boxed copy."Good deal Chris. I always felt that one of the strong points of FU3 was the ability to use both areas. Even as a Tacoma native I feel that in many ways the SF stuff is even better than the default FU3 scenery. :)

Tom,I am currently only interested in the SanFran region, and this scenery area will be transformed when SanFran 2005 is released :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png