Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Unpinned Trial of Guide to Newbies

Guest R_Driscoll

Here's more of what I had in mind for the guide to newbies post. If there are any flameouts, oil leaks, unscheduled APU shutoffs or red lights on the landing gear, then I am very happy to listen to maintenance advice, do another loop through the traffic pattern, try again. Otherwise my intentions are a landing within the next few days, taxiing to the top of the pinned posts with help from Tom in Control.This sample posting contains the CHALLENGES and the PLANES listings.I would be very grateful for any notification of errors!GUIDE TO NEWBIESThis post contains links to addons stored in the AVSIM library.It is a selection from the best.Based on compilations of the AVSIM FU3 library by Andres Meystre (agtim).CHALLENGESRegion: (not known)P51 Challenge

Guest twsimfan

Rob,Make a version that points to my Skyhawk 2.1 not 2.0 and address whatever other concerns that others come up with and I will pin it.

Guest R_Driscoll

OK, will do. Thanks Tom. I'll add a link to 6157 (version 2.1), delete the link to version 2.0, and also add a link to 6158 (documentation).A few questions:Can a pinned post be made editable by everyone (so that developers can add their pride and joys to this).If not, can you (or me) edit the contents at a later stage?RobD.

Guest Robert_S

Rob,I'll stick my nose in here and answer your questions, since I don't have anything else to do at the moment. :-)No, I don't believe any post can be made editable by everyone, and I'm pretty sure that the original poster (you in this case, of course) can edit it for only the first hour after posting.However, either Tom or I, being the moderators, can edit any post at any time, and we'd surely do the job. Anyone can add to the thread, of course, but we try to keep pinned threads from becoming cumbersome, so editing is a better idea than stacking messages.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Guest twsimfan

Rob,I'll add to what Bob said only in that there probably wont be any additional posts on the thread because I'll lock 'er up. When new info either give the edits to one of us or keep your boiler plate and post the new one. Then we can pin the new and either unpin or delete the old one at your discretion. That work?

Guest R_Driscoll

Absolutely perfect. OK, don't pin this yet - other people will want to add comments or may find mistakes, and I will add the other parts as well - scenery, packages etc, asap. Promise! Thanks guys,RobD

Guest effyouthree

Rob,Just from a quick glance...The GeeBee v1.0 still needs to be there for those that prefer the original colour scheme!There is one Dash8 livery package from me (Horizon) and one from Andre (Jersey) that I cannot see here.The "DC3 'No dome' Package (2002) Jonathan Point " was obsoleted by the "DC3 v1.20 C49 Complete (2002) Ansgar Avermeyer, " version.I need to get my updated model sets together too. I've started on it and have folders for each region, full of models, old and new (>300 in each :-eek ). I am spending a bit of time each evening just opening each model in Modelview to make sure I have all the mips and that they are correct. I actually found that the power pylons seemed to use the Seattle mipfiles for both regions! It sorta looks OK (coz they're grey anyway) but I prefer them to be 100% ;)When I'm done, I'll upload them to Avsim and new users can avoid any confusion by just copying the entire sets into their gen folders :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks Jon, that's spot on. I'll fix up the points you mentioned. My listing is not exactly correct because in dividing up the files into categories, some have jumped into the wrong categories, and that's what happened with Tom's Skyplane 2.1 - I have already found and fixed the two Dash 8 liveries, and I will check the others as well. Twill be a busy weekend I think.RobD.

Jon,Is there no way that both colour schemes for the GeeBee can be included in a SINGLE package ? It makes more sense than having two different packages for what is essentially the same plane.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest george8

i see what you mean rob. good job. then again, there are over a hundred files linked there, which could prove daunting to a true newbie! why not have a small section at the top with the basic 'technical' downloads, with the rest of the list geared towards the best of the rest, which you've done already.for example: the patch, a 'final' fu3.cfg file, joykeys.cfg, resviewer, the updated seattle pallete and a region scenery package like chris low's seattle 2005?

Guest effyouthree

Chris,You are correct. I really need to tidy it all up and roll it into one version. The repaint isn't that simple because it replaces the cockpit textures as well, making it rather large. I will set it as a priority (amongst others - you know what I mean!) to re-release it as v1.20, with the yellow livery as an option.There were also some differences in the flight model on v1.1 which make it a little more stable on landing :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest R_Driscoll

OK, good points. I will try to cut down its size a bit, and put a top ten at the beginning.

Robert,It will be at least another month before SanFran 2005 has a link (and probably longer) :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Seadog

Thank you, one and all, for your work on this project. It is enormously helpful.You may wish to add the remainder of the link to Lighted Taxiway & Runway Signs -I can't wait to use it. I had no idea it was a best pick until seeing your list. Again, Rob, Chris, Jonathan, and everyone else working on this, thanks very much.-Seadog