Sign in to follow this  
agtim

Wake up 2: Full UKS area with NASA SRTM elevation quali...

Guest R_Driscoll

THREE POINT EIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gulprobd

Jon,ORAC was the small computer in Blake's Seven. The computer that came up with the answer "42" in The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy was called DEEP THOUGHT.As for having 2 CPUs......I doubt that is the case. A clock speed of 3.8Ghz presumably means that you have a Pentium 4/Pentium Extreme Edition processor ? If that is the case, then you might be referring to the "hyper threading" technology, which is supposed to mean that your CPU can do two things at the same time.Nevertheless, FU3 is not optimised for "hyper threading", and therefore will not use it.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Hi Chris,So, (ORAC) is from Blake's Seven, and (DEEP THOUGHT) is from the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.I kew that, of cors I kew that.Its just a simpl speling mistake, thats all.(ORAC) and (DEEP THOUGHT) are very simer words, you can see that carnt you?Its my new wierles kebord and mous, inspight of all this new wierles technologythay stil dont spel any beter than the old ones, aparantly."hyper threading" technology, two things at the same time. that sounds interesting. No I didant know anything about that.What led me to think I might hav 2 CPUs is this line I found in System Information.Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.80GHz (2 CPUs)I will hav to look into this, Iill even read the instructions, althow I thort theinstructions wer only ther to fined out what went rong.glidernut.

Guest R_Driscoll

And of course having found the ultimate answer, they had to go back and find out the ultimate question. And what colour should a wheel be anyway.Oh dear, this is degenerating into a hitchhikers forum. I cannot cope with this. I'm going outside to lie in front of this yellow bulldozer that's just pulled up there until the forum reforms.Now where's my towel,

Guest Quaxo

I just installed and tried the new elevation after a LONG off-line period... Well, I'm amazed, as much as anyone will be when trying this new elevation! Even relatively "flat" areas are so much more interesting now! And now you can find small "canyons" to follow here and there... :)I am still puzzled on the low fps I get though. I don't have a pc as powerful as Glidernut's (P4 3GHz, 1.5GB RAM, nVidia FX5700 256Mb) but at the airports (for example at Southampton) I get 8-10 fps. I think that's too low, considering that with the latest version of X-Plane, at full detail, I get 30. I would be happy with anything over 20, but 8 is unflyable for me. Am I the only one getting so low frame rates, or is it FU that can't handle all the power of modern pcs, or... ?Cristian

Hi Cristian,Just test Southampton:in final at about 20 fpsat tuchdown 2 to 4 fps, later rolling out at 21 fpstaxi with airport buildings in front 8 to 12 fpsUsing 800x600, Pentium 4 2.5GHz, 512MB RAM, NVidia GeForceFX 5200,Mainboard is just for AGP4X, card can support 8X :-(during flight mostly 16 to 21 fpsso you see you're not alone :-) :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Same, I get 20 fps at a distance, dropping to 9 fps as I line up, 6 fps at DP, then as the trees start to clip out to the side back up to 10 fps at touchdown, 12 fps on rollout.Suggest: use wide frame view on approach (SHIFT-x SHIFT-z keys), remove some trees if necessary, reduce AI level, look out sideways as you approach! (hmm, I still don't think I'd be a good pilot in real life).More drastic: move everything else except FU3 off the drive, then defrag the disk to bring all of the FU3 stuff close together on the disk.Also drastic - delete models - a few deletions can improve framerates a lot - there seems to be a critical level of models. Maybe above a certain amount the program starts to store on disk, I don't know.Here's a pretty pic of the new terrain: http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/115965.jpg

Guest R_Driscoll

The only thing different about Southampton that I could see was it uses a lot of my tree10.bin model, a very nice model to be sure, but heavy on framerates as it was designed to be visible from a plane (unlike other tree models designed to be seen from the ground only) - it is more complex and uses a lot of transparency. You could possibly improve framerates at Southampton by deleting a few of these trees.But i suspect the main problem is FU3 cannot cope with high model densities well. Pity. Maybe FU4 will fix this.Jstdreamin,RobD.