Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Don't read this (unless you make mistakes too)

Guest R_Driscoll

This is very embarassing. I suppose this is why I fly sims and pilost fly planes.I flew crosscountry from east to west, a long flight with lots of great conversations with the ATC, following VOR's etc. All very sophisticated, a beautiful sunrise on takeoff etc etc. A really great flight. I arrived at the destination airport, ignored ATC's request to join the traffic pattern and requested a straight-in approach, which they were happy with. Then I lined up, plonked her down so slow right on the centreline touchdown and went for the reverse thrust.Then I got this horrible grinding noise.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/114267.jpgNo U/C!!!!!I forgot!Cheers,Robert.

Guest glidernut

Thats Cardiff. Thats a coinsidans.I was ther at dorn, pontificateing as to wether them funy looking trees are only funy on my PC, I see now from your snap that thy look funy to others as well.If Id known you was going to be there later on, to do a bely flop, I wouldhav stayed and whatched the spectical.I dont make mistaks, Im perfect. glidernut.:-wave

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks for the sympathy, glidernut. I used to be perfect. Then I got born. Its been downhill ever since. The trees were developed by Captn Bazza I think, then recoloured by me for the San Fran palette. I thought they were hideous, but they look better at Cardiff for some reason than anywhere else. They are basically drawings rather than photo-realistic.So I did a flight last night from Bournemouth, along the coast (past your lighthouse), then north just past Weymouth to Cardiff. The scenery there is jaw dropping. If I lived in England, I would want to live in England. On approach, I put the gear down, checked the gear was down, F5 view and looked at the gear, counted the wheels, then back into the cockpit and checked again.I got the runway but missed the centreline. Too busy looking at the gear.Cheers,RobD.

Guest Pieter

More or less the sound your aircraft, and you as your soul is shot from your body ;-), will make if you leave any of this out...G - Gas: set tanks to recommended landing settingU - Undercarriage: yes even for a 152/172 the tower guys will ask you if they are down...M - Mixture & Manifold Pressure: set the approach power P - Propeller: set to flat pitch (balls to the wall for both M&P) ouch! but safe ;-)F - Flaps: set to approach configurationDon't worry happens to most sim pilots :-lol and quite a number of listings of real accidents as well! Although nothing really to laugh about!Pieter

Guest fu3

The vast majority of non-fatal GA RG incidents are due to forgetting to put the gear down! In some cases, the problem relates to putting the gear UP upon touching down. The most amazing thing about the last one is that again, the vast majority are multi-engined aircraft - and these folks are supposed to have MORE experience :-rollI like the Warrior I fly - I've not had one gear incident yet! Still do gear 'checks' on approach though, just to get in the habit (what for, I don't know :-lol ).I must admit, from where I stand, if I ever bought my own small aircraft, I would stick to fixed gear. And fixed pitch probably too :-lolI confess though I've had some bad experiences in FU3 :-roll

Guest Staggerwing

Some aircraft are equipped with a landing gear warning system designed to help prevent the pilot from making a wheels-up landing. The system consists of a throttle actuated switch which is electrically connected to a dual warning unit. When the throttle is retarded below approximately 12 inches of manifold pressure at low altitude (master switch on), the linkage will actuate a switch which is electrically connected to the gear warning portion of a dual warning unit. If the landing gear is retracted (or not down and locked), an intermittent tone will be heard. Some also have an interconnect switch in the wing flap system that also sounds the horn when the wing flaps are extended beyond 20 deg with the landing gear retracted. Perhaps it could be added to some FU3 aircraft as well..