Sign in to follow this  
Guest glidernut

Cristian,s low fps.

Guest glidernut

Cristian,I was bigining to wunder where you wher, Its good to know your back.Yes, inspight of having a sooper fast, extra speshal, top of the range, pc,Im still geting as low as 8 fps at for example Southampton. fraime rates are in genaral a lot lower in the UK-South than in Seattle. I think its entiyerly to do with the high quolaty models in uk-south.With no models in vew, Im geting 38 fps, in bothe Seattle and in the uk-south.Is it only the poigon count? Or is it other things as well?My specs:Operating System: Microsoft Windows XPProcessor: Intel Pentium

FU3 is based on OLD technology, and presumably there are limits as to how much "stuff" can be on screen at any one time. The framerate near SFO on my PC can get down to 12-14 fps at the moment, and this is due to extra models in the vicinity of the airport (electricity pylons, radio towers, marinas etc). Mind you, I do run FU3 with FSAA set to 6x, and anisotropic filtering at 16x ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Quaxo

Glidernut,Well, I've been quite busy, between work, other responsibilities, hobbies and such... And I have to admit that in the free time I spent a lot of time trying X-Plane - by the way, you might like it, it has slope lift! :)Anyway, I too am having high fps in open terrain, and in Seattle and SF (without mega-scenery packages).What surprises me is that different processing power doesn't give different performances... The UK-South airports give me the same framerates on both my computer and my sister's (which is far less powerful). That's why I thought that maybe there's some error in the config files, or the tagfiles, or whatever...Now that I think about that, I remember one of the first versions of Stansted had something wrong on the runway lights models, which brought the fps to 5 or so... then it was fixed, and - without removing any model - the fps went to 20. This leads me to think that there's some underlying problem unrelated to the model count.Anyway, if the model count is the only cause, then I think I'll have to make a personalised, light-weight version of the packages - I can't land well enough if I only get 6 fps on final! :)Cristian

Hi Cristian,Do not remove models, just use 5 and 6 to switch the models away during the last seconds of the final and touchdown,I have tried XPlane with UK Scenery around IOW. I was not happy with it, just the smoke model looks fine.The autogen models, with cars running across the runway was not pleasant and the greatest deception was the message as I tried toset the resolution to maximum: YOUR COMPUTER IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH FOR THIS SETTINGS ( Pentium P4 2.4 GHz, 512MB RAM, AGP 4X, NVidia Gainward Card), have uninstalled XPlane after this tests to save space for new FU3 Regions.I never got such a message for FU3 ;-)compare the pictures below http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/FU3_XPlane.jpg:-wave agtim

Guest glidernut

Cristian,"X-Plane has slope lift"! I not know that, Iv tryed X-Plane 2 or 3 times in thepast when was no sloe lift, but if its got slope lift nouw, Iill try it agen.X-Plane,s seanary is not a pach no FU3, but it will make a change.Ps, All the models in the FU3 UK-South hav been dun by the gang hear.And most of them are very high quolaty, thers little or nuthing fromSeattle of Sanfran.Its the very high quolaty that knoks the fraime rate douwn.It must be very dificalt for a package diveloper to refraime from useinga good looking model and use a les good one insted.glidernut.

Andre,The FU3 scenery looks better than the X-Plane stuff....which I assume is the X-Plane equivalent of that VFR Photographic scenery from Visual Flight ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Cristian,my fps problem is just at a bad touchdown, then fps goes down to 1 so Ctr5/6 helps a lot. May be you can change settings of video card to preset it to 256 colors at fu3 resolution. With NVidia such settings are possible or have you tried the compatibility options for fu3.exe under XP ? My only mouse problem is the pointer picture after using FLED placement of models. The resource warnings in XPLane are may be when using UKS only. May be we will find a way to speed up fu3 after doing some reverse engineering work, but thats a long way without source code. :-(:-wave agtim

Guest glidernut

agtim,You got mouse problem with the pointer picture after using FLED placement of models. Yes Iv got that as well.glidernut

I assume you mean that the mouse pointer ends up looking like a sort of "target", or "steering wheel" ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Yes thats it Chris, and the only way to get rid of the targetmouse pointer is to restart the PC.If you dont restart the PC you hav to cary on useing the target instedof an arow until you do a restart.I wunder what it is?glidernut

Guest R_Driscoll

glidernut, I'm not sure its the goodness of the model that matters - I wish I knew what the real cause was, but it seems to be more related to number of models used (at Stansted and Gatwick it is over 1000) and the amount of transparency used (I don't think FU3 handles transparency well), and 'flat' (runway-type) models. It doesn't seem to be due to large MIP files or many polygons per se. Still, being able to handle a thousand models is not too bad for a 6 year old sim. RobD.

Guest fu3

Durn 'target mouse' problem!The only way i can get rid of it is to open "Control PanelMouseCursors" and set (any) theme, then put it back to 'standard'. It saves restarting ;)What annoys me about this is that the correct cursor DOES appear in some programs, but not others (!!?!), and NEVER the ones you nedd it in :-rollIt's definitely a Win2K/XP problem too. It never happened to me in 98SE. Thanks, Microsoft :-(

Guest glidernut

Jon, "Control PanelMouseCursors" and set (any) theme, then put it back to 'standard'.Yes its quiker than rebooting, youv told us that bifor but I forgot it.I sharnt forget it agen, Iv put a short-cut on me desktop to remind me.I did try finding a cursor the same "or very similer" to the one Im useing, then copying and pasting it to my desktop and then renaming it to the samename as the cross hair cursor used by FU3, I then droped it into the Flight3 folder and cliked yes to over right, and the cross hair cursor changed into an ordinery arow.But in Fled the darn cross hair cursor cum back.So apart from the cross hair cursor in the mane Flight3 folder, Where the dikins FU3 is there another cross hair cursor stored?glidernut

Guest fu3

John,It is stored inside fled.exe!I decided last night to try a 'fudge' for myself. I loaded the 'arrow_m.cur' file (standard windows cursor) into Corel and opened fled.exe in 'Resource Explorer'. Navigating down to 'cursor', I found the embedded cursor and edited it to make it look the same as the windows cursor. This means that you lose the 'target' cursor altogether in FLED but I don't really have a problem with that. It just makes using Windows afterwards much easier. It may not affect most people but, as a developer, I spend a lot of time reloading models and going back and forth between FLED and other programs. So, you may try that ;) I could send you my modified fled.exe if you wish but I'm having troubles with mail attachments right now :-(*** IMPORTANT***Don't forget that the target cursor's 'target' (hot spot) is in the middle, not at the point. If you duplicate the standard cursor, make sure that the point of the cursor is in the center of the icon, NOT as the standard windows arrow. This is because the target cursor's properties (which I cannot figure out how to change...) have the spot in the center.Best o' British :-wave