Sign in to follow this  
Guest glidernut

A splash of bright red in Seattle.

Guest glidernut

There are no beautifull red pixals in the Seattle models palette.And as a consiquence, non of the models in Seattle has a realy beautifull red.Even if the other of a model wanted a beautifull red for his model, by the time the model gets into Seattle, its a dul red, or even a dul blouw,dipending on which region is serlected just bifor selecting Seattl to fly in. Confusing isant it!Anyway, I edited the Seattle models palette and changed its best red to a brighter red. Nouw lots of models in Seattle hav a much brighter beautifull red, unles I forget to serlect Sanfran just bifor I selecting Seattle to fly in, in which case the models apeer blouw. But at leest its a beautifull brighter blouw.Can anyone think of a way to get Seattle to bihave as if Iv just cum from Sanfran?So that I get red models by difalt, insted of blouw by difalt.Ps, As if to complicate maters even mor, the red wind-sok you see in the snaps has a history to it.Normaly the Seattle wind-soks are broun or if you hav just cum from Sanfran thaycan be paile blouw or even gray.But this wind-sok has had its RGB reordered by Agtim and was intended fot the UK-South region, but I used it in the Seattle region, not bicous it was red, it wasant, it was blouwor gray, but that was an improoment on the difalt broun.Anyway, sins I changed the Seattle models palette to hav a beautifull bright red pixal,this wind-sok bihavs the same as other models, ie, a beautifull bright red ora beautifull bright blouw.Althow, (and this only aplys to the wind-sok) the wind-sok is on rair ocashions gray!Can anyone explain how with only 2 palettes involed, can the wind-sok aper in 3 diferancouers? Dont forget my arigenal question: Can anyone think of a way to get Seattle to bihave as if Iv just cum from Sanfran?So that I get red models by difalt, insted of blouw by difalt.The only diferans between thees 2 snaps in Seattl, is that the red models one was taken after selecting the Sanfran region and then selecting Seattle region.Inserdentaly, the trees are jon's modified ntrees, I just made them a bit lighter.glidernut.

Guest fu3

John,It's a problem, this blue vs. red thing!There is NO easy way out, as the 2 regions use different colour mapping. One uses RGB, the other uses BGR. As you can tell, this swaps over red and blue if you use the same model in both regions. To me, this was a 'feature', allowing my non-mipmapped gliders to look different in each region but it certainly is a problem for those that like to share models between regions. This is a problem for my upgraded FBOs 1, 2 & 5 in Sanfran - the chimneys are red, instead of grey/brown.As to appearing in (yet) another colour, this may be caused by shading. When the sun moves across an object, it's colour changes somewhat. Due to the limited colours available (especially the 2 reds in Seattle), the 'next closest' colour will be displayed. In Seattle, if you use the bright red, you have 2 levels of colour available, if you use the darker one, it quickly becomes brown or grey (depending on whether it was red or blue to start with).As to the trees, I've redone both regions (Sanfran has slightly different trees now). I tried MUCH brighter mips but they still display dark because of the vertical surface of the tree model. Facing the sun in the morning or afternoon and they lit up like, well, Christmas trees (and looked a bit stupid, actually)! Part of the problem is the 'phong' shading used in the models (which cannot be altered without problems), the other is the way that each side of the tree is stitched against the opposite side^^ (i.e. they are NOT double-sided textures like 'jtrees' and 'strees'). That's why we get 'Chinooks'. ^^ This breaks all the rules in the book. Normally, a double-sided polygon would have separate points for each side but the trees only have 10 points total...So, I've gone back to matching them up with the landscape* and they seem to blend in better.* This works (but is time consuming):1. Convert the 8-bit tree texture to 24 bit. 2. Take a screenshot (in FLED preferably) of an area covered in trees (without too much shadow).3. Open the screenshot and create a palette from the 'visible' colours.4. Open your tree texture and, using the palette just created, convert it to 8-bit.The tree texture should now look more like the right colours.5. Convert the tree texture back to 24-bit.6. Convert the tree texture back to 8-bit using the correct FU3 palette.7. Mip it and try in FU3 ;)As they say; 'Viola!' A bit larger than a violin but still cannot be played like a guitar...:-wave

Guest glidernut

jon,This is the therd colour of the wind-sok, gray! You will hav to take my word for it that the sun in all thees snaps is mor or les overhead,but that is erelavant as the 2 extreems of being lit from the back and being lit from thefrunt only makes it a darker or lighter gray, its still gray, it dus not chang its colour.Woww... hang on, yes it can, your right, Iv just been testing your theary by increesing thelightnes of the one bright red pixl by very small increments at a time and checing eech one out in the game, and ges what, long bifor the red pixl got to look any thing like pink,all the blouw models and all the red models sudanly fliped to gray.Yes I hav notest the shading on the trees being sumtimes all or nuthing dyou to the vertical surface of the tree model, which makes it dificalt to get a hapy meadeom. I look forword to your new ntrees.glidernut.

Guest R_Driscoll

It would be easy now to write a program to flip RGB's to BGR's, but I suspect agtim has already done this!

Hi all, no there is no program for this, I have used a hex editor to flip the colors or edit the e code if available:-wave agtim