Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Byron Municipal screenshots

Andre,You cut off the most prominent landmark ! That reddish-brown patch at top centre is part of Hoad Hill, and there is a monument on the top that is supposed to be a reasonable copy of the Eddystone lighthouse (it isn't really a lighthouse, but it certainly looks like one). Could you possibly get a close-up screenshot of this area ? I might even be able to see the monument itself.That feature that winds its way from upper left to upper right (and crosses the canal) is the railway line. Just beyond the upper right section, the line crosses the estuary (part of Morecambe Bay). You should be able to see the bridge in the scenery textures. If you follow this railway line to the east, you should be able to see a SECOND bridge across the sands (at a small town called Arnside).You should be able to see a green field to the left centre (with a couple of reddish looking buildings near it). These buildings are part of Ulverston Victoria High School (where I was educated between the ages of 14 and 16). You can see the main school buildings to the lower left of here. The white building just above the reddish looking buildings is the sixth form college (yes, this was my second home between 1983 and 1985) :-)The built up area adjacent to the south-eastern section of the canal is the Glaxo chemical plant (it would be nice if someone would vaporise this place, and start growing a few flowers and trees there instead) ;-)You may also be able to see a light brown looking road to the left of the left edge of the canal "kink". A bit further along this road, you will notice a dark line that SEEMS to connect this road with a small green field at the opposite end (it doesn't; there is a wall where the two roads appear to join). Anyway, this is Burlington Street. You will see another (shorter) dark line to the right of this street, and parallel to it. This is Ainslie Street. To the right of THIS street is an even shorter dark line (it has no southern exit, since there is an auto repair garage at one end). This is Clarence Street, and I live on the right hand side (about 90% of the way down).If Andre would be so kind as to post one or two other screenshots of the general area (perhaps some shots of the bay and coastline), then I would be only too happy to carry on my geography lesson :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Andre,That airfield in the first picture is on Walney Island. You don't see many planes there, although the odd Beechcraft KingAir has landed there when I have been in the area. The built up area to the right of the picture is part of Barrow-in-Furness, where they build nuclear submarines and various surface vessels (the Trident subs were all built here, and also HMS Invincible....one of our "aircraft carriers") ;-)Picture #2 shows Hoad monument ! Look for the object that "appears" to be a lighthouse in the lower right hand corner of the screenshot. It is around 100 feet tall, and is sat on a hill around 400 feet above sea level. The view from the top is fantastic :-)I can hardly see the railway viaduct itself in that bottom picture, since it is located directly over the water channel itself. The bit that LOOKS like a bridge (just to the right of this channel) is actually a built up causeway.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Here are a few pictures of the Ulverston area.1. Market Cross in Ulverston itself.2. Distant view of Ulverston from Birkrigg Common.3. Hoad monument.4. View from Hoad Hill. You can see the railway viaduct across the estuary in the distance.5. Bardsea village, with Chapel Island and Morecambe Bay in the background, and a stone circle on Birkrigg Common in the foreground. You might just be able to see the chapel on the island....which is a folly, by the way :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Andre,Yes, that is definitely low tide. During the majority of high tides, ALL of the sand that you can see in that screenshot would be covered with water.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png