Sign in to follow this  

$780 to Spend, What Would YOU Do?

Guest Max Cowgill

Hi everybody, I'm in a bit of a quandry here, as I have some money laying around and *NEED* to spend it on PC components/peripherals (what can I say? I'm an addict ;)). Here is a list of components I can purchase (hopefully tomorrow) *note* all prices retail:-MSI KT3 Ultra ARU $150-MSI 845 Ultra ARU $160-Athlon XP 2100+ $220 ::drool::-P4 NW 1.6GHz $150 (massive o/c potential)-P4 NW 1.8GHz $190 (same as above)-Arctic Silver 3 $11-512MB PC2700 DDR RAM $170-2xWD Caviar 60GB HD $110 ea.-Chaintech or EVGA GF4 Ti 4400 $289-UCPS 400W P4-approved PSU $100-Sparkle 400W AMD-approved PSU $90-2xCoolermaster 60mm/80mm case fans $10 ea.-Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 6-channel PCI sound card $90-Creative Labs SB Audigy Gamer 5.1 $98-cheap speakers + subwoofer (for now) ~$50-16x Pioneer DVD drive $60-32x12x40 Lite-on CD-RW drive $70Quite a quandry, eh? Obviously if I go the P4 route I'll have to wait on a massive o/c until I can find a good HSF (since no local stores have any) and I'd just end up selling my AXP CPU :( Another option that I didn't list above is to go with some sweet-@$$ speakers for a killer DVD system.Current system specs are in my sig (for a reference point). I'm leaning towards sticking with my AXP system but if I do I'm not sure how I want to upgrade it... I want more performance out of it but there's not much more I can do to increase performance until I can get the stuff to unlock my CPU and get a killer HSF. Also, I can live with my current GF2 GTS 64MB card until the NV30/R300/Parhelia are released so a GF4 isn't exactly necessary... Primary uses for the system are FS2k2 (duh), DVD (if I go that route), and internet access (with more gaming to come soon). I know this is all overkill for my limited usage but, as I said before, I'm an addict ;)I could go any route here folks, make your suggestions!Edit: forgot to mention that SETI@Home is another primary use for my system (I just love to crunch those WUs!)2nd Edit: just added AXP 2100+ to the list (1.8GHz+ out of this CPU should be simple)Thanks in advance,Max Cowgill

Hi Max,What input devices have you got? A yoke and pedals add *heaps* to the experience. Just trying to think outside of my square!Andy (YSCB)

Guest SoarPics

Well, Max, I have a box here that would just love to see some of your money :-lol Seriously, I would first opt to upgrade the hard drive and memory. Your current specs don't mention a sound card, but I've had enough of Creative's action and am quite happy with the Turtle Beach. You don't show this option on your list but I would definetly include a high end case, such as Lian Li or Coolermaster ATC (don't know where you live, but CompUSA recently started carying the Lian Li line and Fry's sells both). Don't forget the round IDE and floppy cables. Finally, I wouldn't build a box for myself without a Zip drive. Storing data to CD's works fine if you have alot of data. But the Zip drive is so easy to use and so much quicker.Good luck with whatever you choose to do,

Guest Max Cowgill

Thanks for the suggestions Andy and Greg. Andy - I don't think I'll go with a yoke and pedals, as my computer space is extremely limited and I wouldn't even be able to use them :( Thank you for the suggestion though (and please list any others you might have)Greg - My specs *do* list onboard sound, but I'm getting a new sound card almost no matter what. I'm happy with my current case for the moment, but I am definitely going to get a Lian Li case for my next system (or possibly even for this one sometime in the future). Zip drive isn't necessary, a CD-RW will be a lot more functional for me. Thank you for the suggestions, and as I said to Andy, please list any others you might have.note: upgraded parts list with Athlon XP 2100+ CPU (yes folks, I'm considering getting a new AXP CPU despite having a wonderfully overclocking AXP 1700+ in my system already. Guess I'm just that much of a techno-freak)Max Cowgill

Don't forget that the 2100 is a pain to unlock now Max seeing as you are obviously going to try :-lolRay

Guest Max Cowgill

>Going solely by the topic title, I'd invest it. I think the question is pretty clear... I was speaking about computer components, as was evidenced by the long list of parts in my first post. Max Cowgill

Guest Max Cowgill

>Don't forget that the 2100 is a pain to unlock now Max >seeing as you are obviously going to try :-lol I think I'm going to hold off on the CPU upgrade until the TBreds come out and if they prove to be good overclockers. I re-thought things last night and decided a 2100+ wouldn't really be worth it to upgrade unless I were to stick with it for awhile, but I know I would be switching to a TBred anyway as they're bound to o/c better than the Palominos.Max Cowgill

Guest Max Cowgill

>I know...It was a feeble attempt at humor. It will never >happen again. Good! Make sure that it doesn't! ;)Max Cowgill

Guest SD Sim

As much as I hate to say this Max, I can no longer resist. I would spend some of that cash on a membership to overclockers anonymous. :-lol :-lol :-lol And when you find a good group, please let me know as I suspect I'll soon be joining you in this neverending pursuit of more computing power :-wave :-luke Puting on my protective gear for the ensuing :-newburn

Max,You may already be a real pilot and if so this wouldn't apply but you could go out to your local FBO and get about 10 hours of REAL flying for that and possibly even solo. Just a thought. Neal