Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Impressive ATC

I am always impressed by the ATC system in Flight Unlimited 3. It certainly isn't perfect, but it is nice to see some clever programming in action now and again.For example, I have just made a quick circuit of the pattern at Livermore Municipal in my Beechjet. The normal route to the runway 25R threshold is via "One, Bravo". However, this time ATC instructed me to taxi to the runway via "One, Charlie, Two, Bravo". This seemed to be something akin to a scenic route, and at first I thought that I had accidentally deleted an AI taxiway connection on the normal route when using FLED. However, I then noticed that a Cessna 172 was making its way to runway 25L from the East Ramp. I decided to watch this plane.....and it came straight past my parking spot on taxiway One.So what ? Well, the AI planes that taxi to runway 25L from the East Ramp normally use taxiway Bravo to cross runway 25R at the threshold. However, this plane had evidently been told to use a different route (probably "One, Charlie"). Now, because ATC had instructed this Cessna to use taxiway One, it "realised" that I would normally use taxiway One to get to runway 25R....but that I would be travelling in the opposite direction. By instructing me to use the unusual route mentioned above, it had eliminated any "face to face" confrontations on taxiway One.Clever, eh ? :-)It might seem trivial, but it always impresses the #### out of me.On a side note, is anyone here familiar with the ATC system in MSFS ? If so, is it more sophisticated than that in FU3 ? Does it exhibit "clever" behaviour ? I would be really interested to know.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Pieter

> On a side note, is anyone here familiar with the ATC system in MSFS ? If so, is it more sophisticated than that in FU3 ? Does it exhibit "clever" behaviour ? I would be really interested to know.Yes, I do fly more nowadays with FS than FU, but no, the FU3 ATC seems more intelligent than FS controllers in most aspects. Both has its advantages and disadvantages, but I find FU ATC much more strict and informative. Just as one example, after landing Tower controllers just repeat saying "Cessna xxx, please exit next taxiway when able..." until you do, then they hand you over to Ground control. Also, Ground control usually just inform you to taxi to the hold for takeoff and leave you at that and you have to contact Tower when ready. You can actually take a short-cut straight across the grass and they will not even notice that (mowing the grass again? ;-)). However, sometimes FU3 ATC just "lose" me in the air. FS ATC controllers never do that to you. Last comment (many finer likes and dislikes, of course, which is applicable to both sims): FS ATC, naturally, stays with you from KSFO to KSEA as high as your flight plan goes. Thus, with FS you can file an IFR or VFR flight plan and ATC makes you follow that... from ground level to flight level and down again between any region!If you have specific questions I may try it out and report back.RegardsPieter

Thanks for the information, Pieter. It seems that the ATC system in Flight Unlimited 3 can still be regarded as a very impressive piece of code.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I agree, the atc in MSFS. will not take the advange of you to to put in the numbers in the ordered frequencies by yourself when asked to,-it is doing this task automaticly,without the "player" doing mutch.In MSFS. you only hit the one button to accept.If you try to do this manually, the software often loose track of the plane, an never change frequence again from the last used ATC region or airport, and that's a pity. That said this MSFS. software has the whole world of regions to fly into, and may be this is the case of what's happening to the Atc.. .Like Pieter says, the ATC will not know if you are off the track both at the runway, or in the air doing unexpected behavior,. The FU2/3 ATC will guide you, or even treatening you to put you into a prison as well if you don't listen to them, hehe.The FU3 type of ATC will keep you on the alert all the time, trying to perform a flight both VFR and IFR by the numbers, an have a good feeling doing more than a " in game flight performance".I personally find the MSFS.ATC very stereotype, but I hope this will change in later versions along with the glider's advantage of real ridge lift and thermals included.that will of course mean another source codec written.That would be a big step foreward for all simmers.I am not afraid of people doing new aircraft's or sceenery within a new written sourcecode. I just hit some leg's at MS.corp saying this.It is only the imaginations/fantasy that can stop that, and I have seen it many times, A lot of talented people out there doing amasing new stuff for all of us, both FU-series and MS.Just my wishes.Take care.Lars Peter.-