Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy9164

Latest BGL2E problem

Guest andy9164

Agtim and all,I have just been using the new BGL2E program from the library and have noticed that when I close the program it is still a a "task" in XP and using 99% of CPU time (thought my framerates had dropped).I tried on 2 machines, both using XP and same problem.I went back to an earlier version of BGL2E and this closes down properly. Any ideas and anybody else seeing or noticed the problem.It closes down Ok in Windows task manager if you end the task.ThanksAndy

Guest glidernut

Hi Andy, its good to see you back, its geting a bit slow hear of late.BGL2E:Yes the same thing hapend to me, I am also on XP.So Agtim sent me a fixed vertion by e-mail, and it no longer keeps runing afterclosing, and Agtim sed he would uplowd the fixed vertion to avsim.Perhaps he hasant got rouwnd to it yet?In the meen time, Iv just sent you the fixed vertion he sent me.Iv sent it to your work e-mail.Ps, Agtim also has XP.Ps, I dont use the DOS links that cum with the BGL2E program, Iv not been able to get the DOS links of any vershion of BGL2E program to work.This is probably due to my genaral lak of PC knolage.so I tend to do thows sort of things manualy insted.Being as thik as 2 lianks dont help. But at leest I can spel good, and Im good at counting too.There is only 10 kineds of peopl on this erth, Them what can count, and them what carnt.glidernut.

Hi Andy,There is still the old version at avsim. The next version 1.8 is delayed.The version 1.7 will work but at closing task it's running in a loop.A total compile/link rebuild has resolved this.The corrected bgl2e v1.7 is available on request by email.Now I know you got a copy from Glidernut, so I don't send it again.:-wave agtim

Guest andy9164

Thanks Guys, but I dont seem to have received it in my email.Please try andy_rowson@tiscali.co.uk.Slowly getting back into FU3 and starting by converting a small set of Sussex piers. No.... not the sort you find at airports, silly.....the ones that go into the sea.:-lol Took me about 2 hours to make 4 models, very impressive.Only problem I have is they work ok in Modelview but crash FLED when I try and place them. Any Ideas?Back to work.Andy

Guest glidernut

Iv just sent it agen useing your new adeess, you should get it this time.Too meny polys. perhaps?Too meny polys in a flyabl aircraft model will crash FU3, so I ges the same thingcan hapen with a fled model, but you should not be useing any way near that numbr of polys on a fled model!Polygon Budget:The white papers recomend that you use no more than 9 to 170 polygons on a Fled model.Mor than this and it will hav mor than its fear shair of polys and will impacton the frame rate.Plees keep the number of polys, mips, and the size of mips, douwn so as not to impacton the frame rate too much.So far, just about every one that has ever dun a fled model has gon over the averige recomended Polygon Budget and as a resalt has lowered the frame rate too muchfor cumfort.For thows of us how like to bild and see fled models, 10 fps may be acseptabl.For thows of us how like to fly, Fled models are les important, and les than 20 fpswould be too low.But this is only my opinion, and its simpl inuf to delete a few models from a package,so it dont realy mater.Ps, you can redus the number of polys in a high polygon model by useing "BSP Cutting Planes" as discribed in the white papers.Iv used thees on a flyabl aircraft and thy can "dipending on where you use them"dramaticaly redus the number of polys.In one instans, just one BSP Cutting Plane redused the polys by 300.On another ocashion, adding a BSP Cutting Plane incresed the polys by 4.So sum triel and erer is called for.I see no reason why BSP Cutting Planes should not be used on Fled models.Althow at presant I only know how to use BSP Cutting Planes in a modeling program.I dont know if its posibl to use them without a modeling program by editing the e file?glidernut.

Hi Glidernut,Thanks for this hints and the new Glider :-)Never read this part of the white paper, I think it's time to do it.Andy, your .bin file must be less than 150k or FLED will crash.:-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Also check that your choice of model name doesn't clash with existing models. That could throw FLED into a pink fizzy.

Guest andy9164

Thanks Glidernut, I have the new file and will try it as soon as I can and thanks to all for the tips on why it might not work. I can look in Modelview and see how many polygons its got, so will try that.Unfortunately work has taken me away to the US again (its a hard life) so am away from the "model shop" at the moment.Will keep you updated.Andy

Guest fu3

As for polygon budget, it doesn't seem to affect FU3 too much (my Carquinez Bridges add up to hundreds and they don't cause a huge drop in framerates. Sometimes the sheer number of visible models CAN affect it but by far the most framerate-affecting thing I've found is... airports!As to cutting planes, they CAN work well in complex models (planes etc) but do little with smaller models. I use the "-l0" switch in BSP.exe to reduce splits and this does work well with models but... it can cause problems with double-sided transparent nite maps (phew).Besides, the white paper framerate limitations are waaaay too conservative. For example, they recommend 800 polygons for aircraft and nobody uses this few! Sure, go over 2000 and you'll have problems with anything but below that it doesn't seem to hurt too much (i.e. no difference!). All my aircraft are >>1000 polygons and many of my complex models (Carquinez, Pillar Point Marina) use hundreds. BTW, you know what 'kills' Pillar Point (i.e. framerates from 32 down to 18-21)? Not the 300+ polygon models, the 65 boat masts, the breakwaters stretching across the bay... It's the 300+ 6-polygon trees!Some framerate killers are:CloudsRain/snowModel_detail_scale >250Terrain_detail >199Lots of AILots of moving models (although slow-moving ones like sailboats and ships don't seem to hurt too much).Sheer huge numbers of modelsModels that cross one or more megatile boundaries ( I made some large forests that only had 120 polygons but when placed across a junction of 4 megatiles, caused my Kapowsin package to fall below 12fps :-(As to crashing in FLED, the main reason is a missing or mis-named mipfile. The mipfile name MUST match 100% to the texture name given in the model. Don't use caps or spaces in mipfile names. In fact, try to keep them to standard DOS/ASCII rules (8+3). Longer filenames DO work but are a pain really. If you are concerned about mixing-up mipfiles, prefix them with an initial (I often use 'j' in my stuff...).There is one other thing that crashes FLED (and FU3) but displays OK in Modelview - duplicated vertexes or convex errors in the 3D model. Sometimes BSP.exe picks them up and (with planes and complex stuff - axles etc) will spit you back to the desktop. With some models however, although you get the 'duplicate vertex...' error in BSP.exe, it still compiles, making you think it's OK (but it's not).The simple solution (if you use Anim8or) is to make sure ALL polygons are 3-point (using 'open' polygons such as 4-point are fine when perfectly flat - the slightest warp and you get convex/concave errors) then select the entire mesh and look for the weird colour! Basically, all vertexes should be white apart from those with one edge free (green) and those exceeding the radius limit (blue). ANY red vertex is either an axle or should be deleted!This brainwave was brought to you from hanging upside-down for 3 days without sleep* and little food*. Another Q&C event of course, since you mentioned work 'taking you away' :-roll I bet you get civilian transport in a nice comfy plane though...* It's hard to eat or sleep when the floor is constantly pitching 45 degrees either way and large sheets of ice careen about the deck just above your head...At least it explains my absence for the past while. Still feels like the floor's moving though :-erks

Hello to allThe old version 1.7 has been replaced by bgl2e v1.8 with much more functionality, enjoy :-):-wave agtim

Guest glidernut

Yipy, Agtim,s bgl2e.exe works a treat, I converted this house useing it.The Bitmap2000 tool and in particuler the BGL2E.html readme is just what was wanted.Thank you Agtim, I can see Im going to hav a lot of fun with it. Forgiv me for takeing this opertunaty to show off my growing colection of gliders.Non of the gliders hav mips, and thay are mostly very low polys, so I can aford touse lots of them with out having a big famr rate hit, aspeshaly if I use them awyfrom other models.Its my intention to eventualy do a pacage of 20 or more gliders all sercaling inthe same thermal so I can fly with lots of cumpany.I did a pacage like this bifor, useing 8 gliders, so I know it works.But I lost it when my old pc died.This time round Iv got Agtim,s MovObjViewer.exe to make a real good job of it. Ps, Iv fouwnd a Polygon Reduction Plugin for 3DS Studio MAX Modeller for vertions 2 and higher, thats almost all vertions, and it works a treat.Its on this sight. Do a serch for polychophttp://www.maxplugins.de/max5.php Iv seen all sorts of freewaer models on the net that was way too meny polys for FU3that I am nouw takeing another look at.glidernutGlider pilots don't go around.

Guest glidernut

Woops,I forgot to mention the multipl shadows.I was luky to get that snapshot, I only get the multipl shadows now and agen,and thay only last for a second ot tow.FU3 shoower cums up with sum funy things nouw and then.glidernut.

Guest R_Driscoll

Good grief glidernut, now you're making planes and objects and sceneries and packages and ... what can't you make? Thanks agtim for this newest and latest, and pushing the program to new heights. I suspect that you and Jon are the only ones left doing serious development work with the program. I started to make the Lloyds' insurance building, and it was just too hard, so I've put it away for the moment. So many bits on it!And glidernut, there's more to life than just gliding, you know. There's , um, I'll get back to you.RObD.

Guest fu3

Only ones? Gawd, I hope not :-rollBesides, wait 'till you see what Chris has done/is doing to Sanfran :-eek'Sall fun :-wave

Well, I think that you deserve a lot of the credit for SanFran 2005. You are the one responsible for the vast majority of the new models that are included in the pack. I just added them to the region. Of course, I needed to do a fair bit of research first, and actually adding all of them took at LEAST a full day ! :-lolI have just sent you an e-mail, requesting those final components that I need to get SanFran 2005 released.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png