Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy9164

Latest BGL2E problem

Guest fu3

Got it OK (but on the 'wrong' address - try 'jonpoint' instead of 'jpoint').The radio towers are done and the Stanford dish (and surrounding buildings) are nearly done. The dish has taken ages, primarily because I tried some 'shortcuts' which didn't work out as I'd planned. Basically, I needed a very fine mesh texture (out of a 256x256 mip...) to cover the dish and I tried using a dedicated mesh mip repeated across the dish surface. The result was a lot of rendering artifacts and up-close it was obviously a single mipmap (with the mesh all running top-to-bottom - yuck). The same applied to the dish 'basket' - I tried just using a single square for each end, with the mipfile doing all the work but the polygon corners appeared every now and then, not to mention the combined effect of all the mips meant you couldn't see THROUGH it - most important for a mesh dish I think ;)The result is that the dish is now ~650 polygons (with 3 mipfiles...) but it's worth it as it looks quite the part now (considering it was all done from a few photos and no drawings were available...).I just need to finish the buildings mipfile (some changes) and do the night mips and we're done ;) As with the radio towers, Carquinez, Pillar Point and Berkeley, the level of detail is good enough not to show ANY obvious weaknesses up close*. This may be overboard for FU3 but I hate it when you're enjoying the view, then you see a building 'floating' or daylight through a supposedly solid object.* Well, as close as one would fly to them :-rollAll things being well, I should be sending the Stanford package over the weekend, together with the radio towers.:-wave

Jon,Thanks for the info. I look forward to receiving that stuff over the weekend, and then sending you a beta copy of SanFran 2005 itself :-)I will amend the e-mail address right now.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Problems!!My MSFS 2004 installation has no zip files, and the disk only has cab files. So, copied a few likely bgl files to a working directory and ran bglanalyze.exe on them. All (so far) give this message "Error: Compressed BGL File, uncompression failed, file not compressed".I guess I've got something wrong - I usually do! But I do not know what. Any ideas anyone?Incidentally I downloaded BGLAna31.zip yesterday from Agtim's link in his bgl2e_18.zip, so it is the latest.My only thought is that FS2004 has a different file format to earlier versions.Ches

Guest glidernut

your BGLAna31.zip should be ok, thats the one I use.Open a BGL File in BGLAna31, and clik on Disassemble, and then save it as a sca file.But it dont always work.