Sign in to follow this  
Guest markyc

Force Feedback and AI Models

Guest markyc

Hi, Having spent many hours sifting through the contents of this forum, I have been really pleased to see every one living in harmony for once:DAll the other forums I've visited/belonged to over the years have been inhabitted by some VERY sad people indeed:( Perhaps you civil flight simmers are more 'civil':-lol than the combat sim boys and don't feel the need to be macho towards each other? Now I've got that off my chest. I've been reading a lot about FF sticks and the fact that they can cause stuttering in certain situations. I was wondering if, although I own a 'Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold' the FF settings could still affect my frame rates? If this is the case how do I disable the FF? At the moment I'm running FU3 with Seattle 2005/Setac_Extra. This isn't running too badly with most settings on/Set to full. If I add Ansgar's Ai package V1.0, it's all to much and my frame rate drops to 10/12 fps on take off/landings and life becomes very jerky. I must say that with this package removed take off/landing at 15/13 fps is far from smooth but I feel that the extra detail far outweighs that. What I am actually getting at is; Is it possible to turn down the ai modelling. I realise that you can adjust terrain detail, building density, etc. These seem to have very little effect unless they are virtually turned off. By the way, my system consists of: Gigabite GA-7VT600 MoBo Athlon 2000xp Gainward FX 5900xt 512mb 333 ddr ram Thanks for listening to my ramblings. MarkyC:-)

Guest glidernut

Hi MarkyC,Iv not used FF in FU3 for yers, I carnt use it nouw cus I got the rong stik, but whenI did use it in FU3, it didant work as good as it should.How ever, I remember one chap saying whow it worked perfectly in FU3 fore him.And sumone els sed thay had a FF seat working in FU3.While we are on this subject, try this link. I hope the lonk works, if it dus, it will blow ypur soks off.http://www.force-dynamics.com/video/force-...rallyschool.wmv Anyway, if you want to tern the FF off,Start "FU3", choos "OPTIONS", "controls", and put all the FF sliders to the far left,that should tern off the FF compleatly, I think.To help with the frame rate, in "OPTIONS", "graphices", put the VIDEO RESOLUTION douwnto 800X600, if you havant alredy.glidernut.

Guest markyc

Thanks for the input glidernut. I've pushed all the FF sliders fully left which doesn't seem to have any effect on the overall performance.I've been switching to 800x600 but I'm afraid I don't like the picture quality in that resolution:-(One thing I have discovered is that for some strange reason, if I turn up my FSAA to 8x and AF to 8x the frame rate increases a couple of fps and of course the picture quality is great:-lolI,ve also tried out the fu3 cfg file which came with 'Hennies' C-172 trainer. That seems to have improved matters slightly as well.(once I'd convinced it to default to SeaTac, and not some God forsaken airstrip somewhere on the SanFran map)Has anyone got any Idea why settings that ought to be bringing things to a near stand still are actually improving things?MarkyC:-)

Guest fu3

Marky,Try ALL the settings for your video card, one by one and note framerates. The reason that turning FSAA up may improve framerates has to do with how your card implements AA (mostly in hardware). My Radeon XT shows no discernable difference in framerates at any FSAA setting (on my Athlon64 3000/512meg Ram/Gigabyte MB) above 'application controlled' (i.e. off for FU3 as it doesn't invoke AA itself).You can select 'aircraft' from the 'options' menu and set the 'aircraft traffic' slider lower, to reduce the amount of AI but don't do it whilst in the game or you'll see no difference. Exit to the main screen and set it, before going for a fly. You should get a noticeable difference. In fact, set to 'minimum', you'll get very few AIs.Watch the other settings against framerates. Some airports are worse than others, depending upon taxiway complexity and surround models/packages. I always try to pick a simple strip with lots of models around it for comparisons. Other things like clouds, rain and snow will have a marked effect and so do haze settings.And when you DO get it going just right, put the line 'set_terrain_detail 499' into your cfg file and enjoy the slideshow :-lol It looks great but the speed really su..., sorry, withdraws very hard!:-wave

Guest markyc

Thanks for that Jon:-)I'll carry on testing on some smaller airstrips and see what happens.Just one other query. Any Ideas why my groung textures 'flash' every now and again while on the taxiway/runway.(doesn't do it in the air)Is this a common problem? If so is there a fix?Thanks again.MarkyC:)

Guest glidernut

Thats a new one on me.

Guest markyc

Only small odd shaped sections.I now have another problem to add to my list.After FU3 said he used different small air fields for testing, I gave it a go. Unfortunately I haven't got very far as every time I press 'current location' I get a big fat CTD:-( So far I've been unable to isolate the problem. All I know, is that it is something to do with 'Seattle 2005', because when I change back to the original game files all is working correctly.Any Ideas?MarkyC:)

Guest markyc

I can now answer the last question for myself.Having done a quick search of the forum for 'seattle 2005'. I found a post that refered to the same problem that I was experiencing. Chris Lowe the producer of 2005 suggested that the problem was related to too many airfields in the outer region, as mentioned in 2005's readme file:-dohHe was of course correct. I removed the suggested airfields from the 'airfields' folder, and 'Hey Presto' problem solved:)Next time I'll read the instructions more thoroughly.MarkyC:)

Guest glidernut

My dad sed he never read the instructions first, he sed he only read the instructions to fined out what whent rong,he sed thats what instructions are for, to fined out what whent rong.A clever man was my dad.He was so clever he bicame an electrition, but it was a very short careaer, bicous he had a shoking acsident.glidernut.

Guest markyc

Spooky,Because I too am an electrician.MarkyC:)

I'm glad that you solved the problem.Now, if we can get Jon Point's e-mail working properly, I might have a chance of releasing SanFran 2005 before 2006 ! ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest markyc

I'll look forward to that. I recieved my copy of 'Flight2' from 'Sold out' software this lunch time :-beerchug I've done a complete re-install of 'Flight 3' and included the San Francisco region from my new purchase. All I have to do now is trawl through the available addons and see what takes my fancy. While I have your attention; I seem to have a compatability problem between Seattle 2005 and Hennie van Rooyen's C 172 V 1.1. Every time I start off in this aircraft, as soon as I go from the first view to another, my system locks solid and I have to re-boot. It doesn't seem to matter whether the first view is inside or out, the next interior view locks every thing up. Have you any Ideas?MarkyC:)

Guest fu3

Chris,I'm working from home today as it appears my internet problems are fixed (fingers crossed...)!Just have to re-setup my email program. Now where's that CD gone?:-wave

Jon,I am also at home today. You would instantly become my bestest friend if you could send me all of that stuff that I have requested :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I haven't used any of Hennie's planes, so I have no idea why this one doesn't work properly with Seattle 2005.Does anyone else have a suggestion ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png