Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

A question regarding SanFran 2005..........

Jon and I have almost completed the SanFran 2005 pack, but I would like some responses to the following question:-Users of my previous SanFran packs will know that there are two large scenery packages included near San Francisco itself (GOLDEN GATE PARK and PRESIDIO). The presence of these two packages causes problems for those users who do not have powerful PCs (the simulator freezes for several seconds when taking off or landing at Alameda NAS).I had decided to remove these two packages from SanFran 2005, thereby eliminating the problem. However, I would like to know what you all think. Should I bin them (they aren't essential items in my opinion), or should I keep them and provide a cautionary note in the readme file ?I have already removed several other scenery packages that were included in previous versions of the SanFran upgrade pack, since they were rather GENERIC packages (everything in SanFran 2005 is based on specific objects and locations in the region).I will not be using the Golden Gate Park and Presidio packages myself, but that shouldn't prevent anyone else using them if they occupy a soft spot in your heart :-)Let me know what you think.Chris Low.PS. I have removed the Crissy Army Airfield package altogether, since this no longer exists in 2005.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

Chris,I'd leave the old ones in (maybe in a separate folder with a warning readme), in case someone wants them but I wouldn't bother 'sprucing them up' to 2005 specs. That way, users can choose themselves (and the '2004 package set can be removed from the Avsim library whilst still allowing users access).I'd leave Crissy out anyway, as I think it's a housing estate now!:-wave

Jon,Crissy Army Airfield has already been removed, and it will not be returning (although the approach to runway 24 was rather impressive). As for the other two packages, I still have a copy of GOLDEN GATE PARK in "reserve", but I might have to download a copy of SanFran 2004 to retrieve PRESIDIO :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Seadog

Hi ChrisThanks to you and Jon for all the work you're doing.I have just the soft spot in my heart you ask about in regard to the Presidio and Golden Gate Park. If there's any way to make them optional for those whose computers stumble over them, that would be ideal, I think. I would use them if they were available.-Seadog

Seadog,You will be happy to know that those two packages have now been added to SanFran 2005 in a separate OPTIONAL folder.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Motormouse

"Chris,I'd leave Crissy out anyway, as I think it's a housing estatenow!"Not yet a housing estate according to this web-pagehttp://members.tripod.com/airfields_freema..._CA_SanFran.htmand this onehttp://crissyfieldaviation.org/homepage.htmlThe site is officially under the care of the US National Parks servicehttp://www.nps.gov/prsf/history/crissy/crissyaf.htm:-wavePetePs leave it in!!

Pete,My decision to remove Crissy Army Airfield was a result of Hans informing me that having a runway lined with huge logs was decidedly dangerous ! Nevertheless, perhaps I should replace these logs with tractor tyres ? They wouldn't be quite as scary to look at when making a landing approach, and they would also sit better on the slightly sloped terrain.I might just do that tonight :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png