Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Main Building at Vaca Dixon Substation

Does anyone know where I can find photographs of the main building at Vaca Dixon Substation in California ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Seadog,Yeah, that's the only one that Google can locate. It seems that we need a local boy to get on out there and take a few pictures :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Seadog

Chris -Absent Local Boy's availability, I took another, exhaustive, look around the internet with a couple of search engines, even tried going in the back door through the substation's owner, Pacific Gas & Electric, and the owner of the new turbine generator alongside the substation, CalPeak LLC. Then I searched the archives of the Vacaville newspaper, The Record.Absolutely no luck whatsoever. :-grr Sorry. The one Google finds appears to be the only anyone can find.-Seadog

Guest fu3

Seadog/Chris,Darn elusive, this thing - although why anybody would feel the need to post photos of a substation building on the web is anyone's guess!I used a few search engines too and, whilst getting lots of hits, I got no (more) pix :-( As it turns out, this sub actually DOES have a bit of history. But alas, no photos...D'n't matter though (it's OK, we Australians can leave out as many letters as we like - it's a sport here...), I have measured her up and, with the lonely photo we have (and a years of looking at power and sub stations), I'll have a go.Speaking about which, I'm just off shortly to go and look at a very large suburban sub. Unfortunately, the photos won't be of any use - unless you're actually interested in electrical distribution...:-wave

Guest Seadog

Hi JonThe local newspaper has a circulation of all of 17,000. You would think that if the substation got a fresh coat of paint, they would run a photo.But, nooooooo. :-roll -Seadog

Guest fu3

Yeah, but I found more about crop circles, the Nut Tree and surrounding objects. One wonders if they're just happy keeping it to themselves ;) Dunno if I'd detour a trip to see the place, so to speak!:-wave

If I ever get back to the San Francisco Bay area, I would love to take a tour of the entire region covered by the FU2 scenery....and I would consider it my duty to make a special trip to Vaca Dixon Substation ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

Well, if I was in the area :-rollTo be honest, the sub I visited this afternoon was HUGE. The site is 4ha, which is roughly 10 acres :-eekI'll try and post a preview of the Vaca Dixon model in a couple of hours. Just got to get through the evening 'domestics' and by 21:30 I'll be clear ;):-wave

Guest fu3

Chris/Seadog,No info? Well, with a floor plan derived from a GE shot, an old B&W photo (and a bizarre imagination :-roll ), VOILA!One substation building...I'm not sure it's accurate - I'm not sure about very much these days but it's done.Out front. Majestic huh?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/127650.jpgSame at night. Those floodlights must cost a b... er, I guess it IS a power company...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/127651.jpgOut back.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/127652.jpgAnd again at night.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/127653.jpgChris, it should be in your inbox by now ;):-wave

Guest Seadog

Very nice work, indeed, Jon. :-yellow1 How in the world did you find a floor plan? :-sun1 -Seadog

Guest Seadog

Just installed it two days ago, but had no idea it could be that useful as I hadn't yet begun using it. Thanks for the heads up.Cheers, Seadog