Sign in to follow this  
Guest glidernut

A new glider , And an exighting new inovation for Fled models.

Guest glidernut

Iv just put another glider in the librery.This one has a lot mor deatail on it, and its my best yet.allthowe the F4 vew is not compleat, it went mad with the weel textuer, you take a look and see what I mean.Iv still not figered out how to do mor than one textuer yet. But Iv got ways around the problem by doing all the markings on the outside of the glider as seperat models with UV coulers, inclooding the pilot. I wanted to get this glider out of the way so I can consentrate on Fled models.Iv had sum sucses in giving a Fled model a mooving part, by giving it an axil.The blabes on my wind-pump model go round.God knows when Iill start on the package proper, I keep geting distracted bynew iderers.This model bilding bisines is adictiv.glidernut.-wave

Guest glidernut

About axils in Fled models.I may be rong but it seems to me that when doing a flyabl model with axils,we can only use axils that are alredy hard wiyered in FU3.In other werds, if we try to giv a flyabl aircraft an axil that dont allredyexist in at leest one of FU3,s originel aircraft, then it dont work.I think the same thing is troo of Fled models.The only fled model with axils is the wind-sok, which has 3 axils.So for Fled models, we only hav 3 axils to play with.We can use thees axils over and over agen in as meny models as we like, butall 3 axils are the same, in that thay are all activated by the wind, or one or more aspects of the wind. Im convinsed that at leest one of the 3 axils is only activatedby winds after the frunt, thats the last axil on the wind-sok, the one thatoperates the smallist part of the wind-sok.The best axil to use from the wind-sok on other fled models is the one that rotates the wind-sok,s pole, is the first one, the one named @x00** and its the one that is most reliabl in that any kined of wind at all and it moovs.Unfortunatly we hav no meens of controling the speed of its mooment.And nor do we hav compleat control over the amount of its mooment.But we can control the size and shape of the object it moovs.So we must pik the sort of model that best soots the mooment of the axil andnot the other way round.For exampl, I first tryed having the blades on Fu3,s difalt wind terbins rotate,you know the ones I meen, them with 2 blads, but it was orfal, it didant lookright at all, no good.I then tryed rotating the Cinook helicopter,s blads, thats the one with 2 roters on top, and the other smaller helicopter,s blads, and thy work well, thay look very good,but unfortunatly to hav the blads looking at there most realistik, the blads need to be partly transparant, which makes sum of thetextuers on the helicopters disapeer when seen throo the blads.My wind-pump uses no mips to render invisibl.So I tryed doing the helicopters the sme way I did my latest glider, ie with out useing mip textuers, but thay didant look so good, and the poligoncount was climeing higher and higher, so thay whent in the bin.So untill sumone finds a reliabl way of stoping sum mip textuers from bicuminginvisibl when vewed throo the partly transparant rotateing blades, we carnthav rotating helicopter blades.Insidentaly, a model such as a helicopter with its rotateing blades can alsobe flying, ie, used as a mooving object at the same time, Iv tryed it,it works a treet. The only other drorback apart from the invisibl mip problem and it needingat leest sum wind in order to moov. It also needs for there to be a wind-sok in the line of sight of the playerfor a model with a mooving part to moov.In other words, a model with a mooving part thinks its part a wind-sok, and only bothers to moov when it thinks the hole of a wind-sok is in vew.You dont hav to actualy be abl to see a wind-sok, just so long as there is onein your line of sight.For exampl, ther might be a wind-sok in the direction you are looking but toofar away to be seen, but not ferthrt than the next tile boundry, In this situation the model with a mooving part will work.It will also work if a wind-sok is hiden under another model, just so thata wind-sok is in the line of sight of the player at the same time as themodel with a mooving part.Note that my wind-pump model has been given a conveniant place to hide awind-sok under it, so the wind-pump rotates rigadles of what diection you see it from, clever ay!Anuther way of inshoowering thees models work is to put about 6 or mor wind-soksaround the outskerts of any package that uses thees speshal models.Ps, Has any one got any pictuers of them american swomp boates?You know them small flat botomed boats that go over the swomps of looeesianerbeing pooshed along by a big aircraft propeler on top of the boat.A bit like a hover craft, only its not a hover craft.I recon one of them would make an exalant Fled model with rotating fan.glidernut.

Congrat Glidernut, models looks greath,Thanks a lot for model and info :-wave agtim

Guest Seadog

John, if you go to Google.com and select their images search using the key word airboat, you'll be treated to nearly 10,000 pictures of them. These boats also ply the reedy marshes of the Everglades in South Florida. With a broad, flat bottom and relatively low displacement hulls (if you can call a flat sheet of aluminum a hull :-lol), they almost skim the water's surface. Hope that helps.-Seadog

Guest glidernut

Hi Seadog, agtim,Iv just realized Iv uploded the rong 1.3ds in the "for divelopers folder".Never mined, its not important.Yes I got sum images, mouw I can get to work on one.glidernut.

Guest fu3

John,Thanks for your work with the FLED axles ;) You actually had more luck than I did and I'd love to know how to 'tune' the axle speed and dispose of the 'windsock parts'. In real life, large wind generators turn quite slowly, even in high wind. And you can imagine I'd love to have 30 wind generators all spinning on a ridge. Problem is, if I saw a wind generator looking like my feeble attempt, I'd run away!"I may be rong but it seems to me that when doing a flyabl model with axils,we can only use axils that are alredy hard wiyered in FU3."No, you can change them and add new ones! In each aircraft resfile, there is an 'axle' file that you can edit. In the 3D model, you nominate the numbers you want (there are some restrictions), together with the axle range and whether it slides or rotates. You then edit the axle file to match and 'Voila!'OK, there are some restrictions but of this is covered in the white paper. I can email you some examples (like the L-13 build files) and you can see what I did. Same goes for applying textures. You need to use a 'materials' file when you run bsp.exe and it will sort the textures and 'key' the binfile properly (for use in a resfile). The reason for this is that, for 'normal' (i.e. FLED) models, the game engine looks for the model and texture file by name but in aircraft models (and AI planes), ALL the textures must be loaded whilst the model is 'built' and as such, are loaded by address position in the resfile. Why? Dunno... Guess it's more efficient in the game.I'll email some files if I can find your address. I think I've had too many email account changes :-wave

Guest fu3

Durn, hit the 'post..' not the 'preview...' :-rollNice plane too, I'm getting quite a few gliders in the hangar now. I still use the Blanik for sightseeing but having the new ones to choose from adds a new dimension to FU3 ;) BTW, it's real nice to have someone else building aircraft! Now that Chris and I have almost destroyed the smooth SanFran skyline, I get the S340 finished :-roll:-wave

Jon,Altamont Pass would look amazing with dynamic wind turbines, although I'm not sure what 200 rotating sets of blades would do to the framerate :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

"I'm not sure what 200 rotating sets of blades would do to the framerate :-) ":-lol :-lol :-lol My attempt turned too fast and jittered back and forth. Come to think of it, kinda like a windsock :-lolActually, John hit the nail on the head by using different axles and hiding the rest of the 'sock. Didn't think of that...Oh, if only we had the source code :-roll

Guest glidernut

Hi, jon chris,Hear is my Fled wind-pum model, just put it in the game useing Fled and put anordinery wind sok in the wind-pums whight box or sumwhere close.Hear also is my wind-pums .3ds and *.e fils too.Sum one like RobD or agtim can get more out of an *.e file than is siantificaltyposibl.No, we carnt tune the axle speed, nor can we tune the axles range, the windsocksaxles bihave like a windsock, so all we can do at the moment is choos the sortof model that this mooment looks good on.Yes the axle Iv used on my wind-pum only jiters back and forth, but used to best afect, it looks mor or les like rotating.I also hav a fled model of a bat with 4 axles on its wings. When this bat0.bin file is looked at in the VIEW.EXE, as aposed to ModelView.exe, "I use the VIEW.EXE insted of ModelView.exe bicous the VIEW.EXE can sumtimes animat the axles and show much moer info about the model".Anyway, in the VIEW.EXE this bat0.bin model flys butifaly, but in the game only 2 of its axles work, and its all lopsided, and dus a very good impresion of a woonded bird.Do you want the woonded bat?In the white papers, the part about axles, there is a piktorial diagram givinga demonstrateion of mixing axles, but I carnt read it, its a bad pichtuer,we could do with sumone that understands axles to do a beter diagram.Jon, you say, there is an 'axle' file that you can edit in the .res file.Do you meen the flight dinamics file?In the flight dinamics file we can only set the flaps range, and in the cace ofthe stemme, set the nose cone range, we can not "for exampl" set the ruder rangeor elevateor range.Acording to the white papers, we can set the range of an axle by editing the last4 numbers of the axle name in a modeling program, or in an *.e file, but in myexpeerians this has no afect at all.If only we could fined an editabl windsock axle file! glidernut.

Guest glidernut

I considered doing the wind-pump model in 2 parts, a top part and a botom part,so I could use the top part as a mooving object, sort of wether cocing in and out of the wind at the same time as the fan is rotating, that would look realy good.But I thort it would be too complicated for peopl to bother useing it in therepackages.A waging tail on a frendly dog would work well.I considered useing FU3s goat model but when I got it out of the bodelmip.tag the goat uses a mip, and the model is crap.A cow is no good for waging tails. Peopl like to use several cows in the same location, thats normal,but if all the cows tails wag in unisan, thats not normal, that wont look so good. I recon the flikering flames of a fier would work too.But to do realistik flames without useing mips, emmmmmmmm?.We can do smoke rizing from it, and I bileev I hav a way of makeing the smokedisaper at a given hight.Iv put a fan on my second paraglider model too. My first paraglider got terned into toset when that Chris Low refused to tern offhis electrikery. Iill never forgiv him for that.I might put a fan on my hang glider too.For enyone that is interested in doing models with axles, the model at its birminimum must hav 3 componants, 2 objtcts and an axles.For exampl, a tracter, a weel, and an axile.Yes Jon, send me your (L-13 build files) if you still hav them, pleas.glidernut.

John,I beg your forgiveness regarding the poor soul who was served up for breakfast. However, I would like to point out that it was that Jon Point chap who provided me with faulty goods. I wasn't to know that he had rigged his electricity pylons and substations to kill unsuspecting paragliders on sight.I shall contact Health & Safety immediately. They will be only too pleased to deal with this model building menace before he does any further damage ;-)You just can't trust those queer folk from down under :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

Queer?Yeah, Clare often says "that's gay, Dad" when I hold my guitar weird or do something stupid at home! As to my unforgiving power components, don't blame me - I didn't invent electricity (nobody did, unless you're a creationist, in which case blame 'God'), nor did I install the towers with scant regard to the safety of local fliers. Chris? :-rollSomebody orders these. Somebody installs them. Somebody owns and operates them. Personally, I'd sue the pilot...:-wave

Guest fu3

John,"Jon, you say, there is an 'axle' file that you can edit in the .res file.Do you meen the flight dinamics file?"No, it is a hexfile. In the Stemme it is file 100. Please see example below (file 90 from the Saab 340):http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/128307.jpgIt can be edited with 'hexedit.exe': http://www-physics.mps.ohio-state.edu/~prewett/hexedit/ or similar and tells FU3 which axle gets linked to which function. See below for roughly how it works. - Each pair describes an "axle", or moving part e.g. 02 04- The first number is the number of pieces of this type (02)- The second number is the axle (or hinge) number in the model (04)- Note leading zeroes. - Axles are numbered in hexadecimal e.g. axle #10 is 0a, #17 is 11 etc- The order of axle positions in the hexfile cannot be changed and is:1 - elevators 2 - rudder3 - aileron4 - flaps5 - landing gear6 - propeller7 - strings8 - smoke9 - reverse thrusters10 - dome11

So it IS glidernut's fault for not informing his paragliding friends about the proximity of local pylons ? I assume that they are hitting these blatantly obvious (in a "they can be seen from MILES away" sense) structures in the Seattle region, since these are the only ones that have been delivered so far ?Maybe I should include a "paragliding for dummies" document in the SanFran 2006 pack ? :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png