Sign in to follow this  
Chesney

UKS Chivenor

It's a bit quiet around here. Where is everyone?I have just uploaded RMB (used to be RAF) Chivenor for the UK region to the library. It's my first shot at FU3 developement and any advice from anyone on how to improve it will be gratefully received.I haven't even thought about building aircraft yet, It looks horribly complicated! But it would be great if Vigilants and Seakings could be added to give some authenticity to it. Any volunteers? I can supply pictures, specs, dimensions etc. for the Vigilant - and it is a lovely plane to fly. Ches

Guest glidernut

Shhhhh,,, I think every one is asleep.Hi Ches,Your RMB isant there yet, I try agen later.Show us a picture of Vigilant, and or Seaking, there might be a similer plane that alredy exists. It would be simpler to modify an existing plane to look like a Vigilant or Seaking thanstarting from skrach.But I only want a look! Im not makeing any promises!glidernut.

Ches,I was thinking the very same thing. I am currently waiting for Jon Point to provide me with the final few models for SanFran 2006, but I think that he has other business to attend to first. The delay is driving me nuts ! ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Chris,Jon Point,s disaperance might be my falt. Sory about that.I think he might by working on a mooving flag, but I dont think its doabl and isprobably driving him nuts too.So one way or another we are all nuts, so whats new?glinerNUTS.

Hi Ches,glad to hear about new activities :-)have just reached the top north tile, region is now 56 x 48 megatiles topmost tile is bibv and bjbv and fu3 is still running well :-)map folder size now at about 14GB.Quick model rebuild:Search for a MSFS model for the Vigilant, then use mdl2dxf.exe to get the model in dxf format from the mdl file. You can then import it in GMax then there is a bit work to restore the flipped surfaces and some wrong points and reducing the number of vertices so the model size stay below 150k (as .bin).From Gmax you can export to md3 then convert to 3ds by 3dexploration then to E using 3ds2e.exe for FU3 :-wave agtim

Hi allThere is a bad hill from my original cut at the border between azap and baap. Now when you are in the final to Chivenor it looks ugly so I fixed it a bit with GMax.Just import the elevation tile e0baap.tga with geotilesviewer 3.3 :-wave agtim

Guest glidernut

Well dun Ches. High frame rates. Good.I like it.Your instlation instructions are to look for the gdc folder in the regens airports folder and delete it, so we dont hav 2 icons for the same airport. Good.We might also look in the RAFAirfields folder in the packages folder as well, thats where myin was, so others may hav it there too. There is a lot of work in a package like this, If it was left up to me, I would call itfinished, but thats me, Im layzy, but if YOU want to add to it? Iv got sevaral Fled glidersnot yet releesed that I can send to you, if you want? you dont hav to use them if you dontlike em.This Grob motorglider is the closest thing I can fined to a Vigilant.It has a shadow bicous im flying it, but I hav no intenshion to do it as a flyabl aircraft,Im thinking of doung it as a fled model only. The only reasan Im flying it is bicous its quiker to get from my modeling program into FU3for inspection by puting it is a res file than it is to put it in the by game useing Fled.Theres way way to much work involved in createing a flyabl aircraft, you hav to realy love a particuler aircraft for that.Im still looking for a Seaking helicopter.I recon I can do a Fled helicopter with rotateung blades.glidernut.

Oh my God. Just look at the size of that Moon ! It's going to hit Earth :-eekChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

There is a Vigilant for FS2004 at AVSIMZipname: air_cadet_vigilant.zip :-wave agtim

Thanks Agtim. Ive downloaded the file and will incorporate it soon.You have also whetted my appetite about the MSFS aircraft. I heard on the Air Cadet grapevine that a Vigilant existed and therefore should be copyable. Looks like you found it.Thanks for the tip Glidernut. I had deleted gdc from my RAF Airfields folder , but so long ago I had forgotten I'd done it!I tried to attach a couple of pictures to this, but it crashed both times with an error message as long as my arm. So I will pick up an Aircrew Manual at the weekend and get copies of the useful pages, plus some more pictures. I'll get some Seaking pictures while I am about it and forward them all to you direct.Other glidersOnly Vigilants and Seakings fly at Chivenor, so other gliders would be wrong. However, my next target is Syerston which does fly other gliders. So yes, I'd love to see them.Ches

Thanks, Agtim. BAAP now incorporated - looks much better.Downloaded the Vigilant file you mentioned. mdl2dxf (version 4.01) does not like it. It crashes with a Windows fault and offers to let Uncle Bill Gates know so he can fix it. It still produces a dfx file, but GMax can't read it. It's a poor model anyway. I looked at it in FS 2004 and it's based on a Katana instead of a Grob. Doesn't fly right, engine cowls are wrong, instrument panel is wrong, engine is much too powerful etc.Glidernut - I've sent some pictures and info to you by e-mail. Be warned, it's about a `1.7 Meg download. Sorry!Ches

Guest glidernut

Ches,Aircraft from FS 2004 mostly never convert to dxf.Aircraft from FS 2002 mostly never convert to dxf.Aircraft from FS 2000 sumtimes will convert to dxf. If your luky.Aircraft from FS 98 will convert to dxf. unles your unluky. The new mdl2dxf (version 4.01) is the best and most sucsesfall, but just ocasionaly, the old version will work when the new version wont.Ches sed, "It still produces a dfx file, but GMax can't read it."Yes thats how it dont work, a duf dfx file that carnt be read by any program. Ches sed,"and it's based on a Katana instead of a Grob. Doesn't fly right,engine cowls are wrong, instrument panel is wrong, engine is much too powerful etc."You fusy sod, Iill not be abl to pleas you.Are you useing a modeling program? if so, which one? And can you asine matearias? Or hav you been useing Agtim,s BGL2E?If and when you do get a good convertion to dxf and then to 3ds, thats whereyour problems start.Thay are almost allways masivly too big to go throw the BSP.Deleting all the wunderfal deatail to reduce the poligon count in order toget it into FU3 is hart renching.By the time its small inuf for FU3, its crap.Iv just spent a day doing this to a seaking and ended up chuking it in the recycle bin.Are you shoower you sent sum stuf? Theres nuthing cuming in at my end yet. glidernut.

Hi Ches,Yes model will not worked that way, the extracted xyz values are larger than 16400 an so broken bei the 16bit numeric size of dxf or md3 also.Same happens when you create a large model with GMax and export it to MD3. I must resize my model to about +-600 for x/y/z to get a clean model, but then it's works.As Glidernut told you FS98 is the best starting version for such conversions :-(This is the converted vigilant :-(http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/129289.jpg:-wave agtim

And here again what happens when you model is too large in GMaxLarge Model after export to md3http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/129291.jpgresized model after export to md3http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/129292.jpgit's just the half model, I paint is with the texture using anim8or and the its just a click to mirror clone the second half and you paint it only once :-)Anim8or will retain all the texture placed on the model (Gmax not):-wave agtim