Sign in to follow this  
Guest glidernut

BSP,s frazes.

Guest glidernut

I was bizy redusing a Fled model,s poligons and peareodicaly vewing it inthe BSP vewer that normaly givs the polygon count at the botom.But this time insted of displying the polygon count and other model info,it sed "Happy Birthday Shawn!".Well the BSP dus cum out with sum funy things from time to time, "How bilt this" is a comon one, but "Happy Birthday Shawn!", thats a new one on me.glidernut.

Guest fu3

John,Did you ever get 'James is a weiner!'? I don't know what triggers it exactly but it has something to do with non-fatal bsp errors. When doing complex things like planes, one often gets non-fatals like atomic splits etc. I think that Mr James was a bit of a stickler with models and jumped on anyone who used too many polygons or just didn't follow the 'rules'.The idiot who did the firetower somehow got >600 polygons and the binfile had so many splits that you cannot actually use bsp to rebuild it (binfile > bintoe.exe > bsp.exe). The only solution is to run eto3ds.exe, open it up in Anim8or or 3DS and delete half the polygons :-erks Here's a MUCH nicer one (- or 2) with 353 polys and no bugs. What, 353? :-wave

Guest glidernut

Jon,Your firtouwe models are a masiv inprooment.Not only do thy look 10 times beter, but thay are 10 times fewer poys at the same time.You must hav been on cloud 9 for a week after doing them.For the douwn under peopl, that tranzlates asPs, so thats what a (vhot 9) is, its a little light caled (@h09lit)."Liv and lern Liv and lern".Which tranzlates as, "Liv and lern Liv and lern".I could be a tranzlater, its ded easy.How much do tranzlaters ern?glidernut.Which tranzlates as,glidernut.

John,You could start by translating your last message :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

Chris,Don't worry - it was just 'model speak' :-lolAs simple as they look, there's a lot to models if you want them to look and work OK. Work? Well, first they have to compile in bsp. If they have anything in them (duplicated lines, mis-spelled part names or even too many points converging on one spot), bsp just gives errors and no output :-( Sometimes, you get a binfile but the errors only become obvious when you try to use them in FLED/FU3, which is really infuriating. Hence why it's important to know the possible sources of error and try to avoid them ;)Not much different from FLED - you can't edit anything without 'Iworkhere', you can place objects across megatile boundaries but you cannot not drag objects across megatile boundaries or you get a crash. Airports are even more finnicky with taxigraph errors, frequencies and callsigns, let alone multiple runways etc :-rollThat's why I leave it to the experts...:-wave

Guest fu3

John,Do you want a listing of all available model 'vhots'? No? Well, here they are anyway :-lolFirst, you MUST use the correct texture settings:1,"SPECIAL",FLAT,RGB 255,255,255,TRANSP 100;The '1' at the front can be any texture number and the 'special' texture can sit anywhere in the list, as long as the mapping refers to it:0,N,0,ff01,(6,4,0);0,N,1,ff01,(2,6,0);0,N,2,ff01,(7,3,1); etcIf it were texture 7, the above lines would read 'ff07'Then, there's the list (the 'xxxx' represents a description and may be 1 to 4 letters or numbers):@v00xxxx Large Green/White flash (Airport Nav light)@v01xxxx Large Yellow/White flash @v02xxxx Large Green/White/White flash (one green, 2 white flashes)@v03xxxx Large Red flash@v04xxxx " " "@v05xxxx Medium white solid@v06xxxx Small Red double flash@v07xxxx Small Red double flash (alternates with @v06xxxx)@v08xxxx Small Blue double flash@v09xxxx Small Blue double flash (alternates with @v08xxxx)@v10xxxx Small Red solid@h00xxxx Medium Red flash@h01xxxx " " "@h02xxxx " " "@h03xxxx " " "@h04xxxx " " "@h05xxxx Medium Blue flash@h06xxxx " " "@h07xxxx " " "@h08xxxx Medium solid whitethrough @h21xxxx " " "You CAN have more than one of each vhot in a model, as long as the description is different for each one - theoretically there is no limit however, ALL vhots of one type will act the same. For example, if you put 3 flashing blue lights in the same model, they all flash in unison.Note these have nothing to do with aircraft (That's another set, I'll post them if you would like)!There is one more I know of:@h31xxxxThis is a 'head' or 'viewpoint' that you can attach to a model so when you use the 'switch object' function in FU3, you can 'look' from that point. I use them sometimes - it's fun to pause as you fly past a TV tower, then 'climb' the tower, zoom in on your aircraft and unpause the game for a flyby. Have I been doing this too long? Do virtual seagulls dream about virtual chips?Don't worry, it took me 4 years to work this out :-roll Just to make sure nobody ever forgets it, here's a test model I did some time ago:

Guest fu3

I should read things before posting...@h05,6 & 7 are Medium Blue SOLID (not flashing)What an idiot :-roll

Guest glidernut

Thanks jon, thats briliant.Trying to understand a list of names and numbers and then puting that noligeinto practis is one thing, but looking at your lights model in the game and then simply importing your lights model into a modeling program and simply boroing the one you want is ded simpl.I had just started to do the exact same thing myself, but my efert was no wherenear as comprihensiv as yours, and no where near as organized and well set outas yours.Can I, we, hav your flyabl aircraft lights model as well pleas?Iill put it on a flpy, usefall stuf like this should never be lost.glidernut