Sign in to follow this  
Guest juvat2

Hi, short time off from Mississippi

Guest juvat2

Hi Fella's,Got back to Va today. Thought I'd post a hello to all. I bought a bfg 6200 OC 256ddr. :)Pulled my v5 out. ;( I've got a lot of learning to do with the new card. All my games crash to desk top or I get the dreaded "black screen of death". Something to fiddle with till I return to Miss.Bye for now,JimB

Guest glidernut

Jim,Welcom back Jim, hope you get your card sorted.You hung on to that V5 longer than anyone els I know.glidernut.

Jim.Welcome back.congrats with the new hardware, I still have my V5 card on my old IBM.computer P3-600. and it works just fine.(upgraded with more memory) I do have so many flight Unlimited 2/3 addons there, so it was was a "must" to have this computer running along with the new XP.mashine.Routers in the house is the ultimate solution overall for both old and new software.I am using the new rig for other software, but all new FU3 addons is downloaded to my old PC.Take care.Lars Peter.:-wave

Guest juvat2

Hi,I've been searching around with google on the card and seems there's a couple of more folks at other forums who are having a problem with it. In meanwhile I downloaded and installed the latest Forceware driver from Nvidia. Didn't help at all. I've turned anti-alias and anisotropic off, set to 1024x768x16. No help. My desktop locks up sometimes as well when I have the cards nvidia settings manager open.I can see my V5 box now on the shelf; so very tempting to re-install.Lot's to do even when I get thing's going smooth. I got into Flt 3 quick flight and saw the "lines" folks here have been posting about; I can fix those ok. Flt3 frames rates move from .2 to 5.5 when the AI start talking or panning around with F5 view, screen freezes.I'm using dx 9b. Oddly 9c won't install and I've read long ago 9c is the more stable of the dx9 series.Started using Optimize Memory to see if that would help.Will search more here at Flt3 forum for more tips.Had also purchased a dvd r/w internal drive, Psp9, Ns Works, Ns Internet Security. Still need to install all.Bye,JimB

Guest fu3

Jim,Good t'hear ya :-hahMaybe the 'oddly 9c won't install' bit is a pointer to the issue? I run 9C on all the PC's here and it DOES appear more stable with older cards anyway (this '9800 IS a 9.0 so it wasn't unstable with that but the older cards DID seem flaky when I put 9.0 on them). The '6200 Nvidia is to even fully support 9C so I'd go through the agony of sorting out why 9c won't load.Are you running XP? There's a utility which will roll the system back to what is on your install disk (8.1 I think). See zipfile attached ;)If you're running 2000, I don't know yet (I'm running 2K SP4 on this PC right now with 9C). 98? No idea !Maybe if you can get back to 8.1, you can then dun the 9C install? BTW, I had trouble with the 'live' install. Try to download the full install file and run offline. It's huge but it saves trouble :-wave

Guest juvat2

Hi Jon,I finally got Dx9c to install. Took a bit to do.I used Dx removal tool.Then installed Dx versions in this order: 6.1,7,8a,8.1,9a,9b.9c still gave me warning of a bad cab file and wouldn't install.So I went into safe mode and it installed successfully.Now when I perform dxdiag, it reports 9c as installed. I run the d3d test and it performs the "spinning cube" thing in this order: Dx7, Dx8, Dx9. The test's pass.My oldish pc specs:AMD 1.44, Win98se, Sb-Live X-gamer(sound card), (added yesterday Kingston 256mb)640mb PC133 sdram, vcache set to 50mb min- 55mb max (suggested by an MS data base article) via sys.ini, MoBo Asus A7v-133 bios 1009, Video Card BFG 6200 OC 256mb(overclocked by BFG). My "C" drive reports 1.5ish gigs freeMore things I've done:Re-installed Win98 and went thru the pains of downloading all it's updates from Ms. (arrgghh dial-up!)I new installed Norton Sys Works 2005 and ran all it's scans to see if there's some kind of problem with Win98 and it only found some issues with Fonts.I ran Drive Cleaner to ensure there were no issue's with any floating 3dfx driver remenents.I suspect it has to be issues with Win98, my processor and how memory is consumed during game play.I installed Riva Tuner and Cool Bits. Thinking of "under-clocking" the video card and see if that helps.Boy ole boy, re-installing my V5 sure is tempting.Wish I could get this thing bug free; from what I've seen in Flt3, Thief 1/2 and CFS2, the graphics are stunning in comparison to my V5 (though 3dfx bump mapping I'll miss).JimBAdditional Info with Edit: I was able to contact BFG support and they suggested a 350 to 400 watt power supply. I currently have a 300w and the video card box recommends a 250w minimum(depends on what the user has connected to it). So off I'll go and purchase a 400w ps. Hopefully that'll correct my bugs. Bye, JimB

Guest fu3

Jim,Good to hear you got 10C in there. I didn't realise you were still running '98... I had problems with W95 years ago and 'upgraded' to '98 to fix it. Had a Celeron 400 (whoopee) with some doggy MB video chipset. The MB had an AGP slot, so I bought a card (TNT M64? ..shudder...), played with the MB links and plugged her in. It took endless stuffing to even get it to boot. When it 'ran', it was flaky-as. Using the 16 colour VGA setting was OK but the drivers wouldn't work properly :-( I eventually loaded '98 and everything worked fine!On the BFG site, the '98 install looks different! You have to let it detect the card as a standard VGA and ACCEPT it! Then, after rebooting, you install the actual driver :-roll From the website:"II. Windows 98/ME Driver Installation1. When first booting up Windows might show the

Guest juvat2

Hi Jon,I went thru the procedures to re-install the card. Set the diplay adapter as vga, etc. Re-installed v77.72 of forceware. Still the same frame rate stutters and lock-ups. Selected software mode for Flt3. Green sky and black terrain. Frame rate was 10-12. It didn't lock-up or restart my pc though.Take care,JimB

Guest juvat2

Interestingly, my opengl32 type games seem to work ok. IL2, Mohaa1,2,3. Janes WW2F has an opengl option(not opengl32), but the card hangs on that as well(I have to restart my pc).Cfs2 locks-up as well and I restart my pc.So I suspect it's a D3D issue; whether a bug on my pc or bug with the card.JimB

Guest juvat2

Hi Chris,Re-format, oh I do dread the thought of doing it again.I contacted Bfg support via phone and the fella said my power supply wasn't up to the task. So I bought a brand-new-in-box Antec NeoHe500 500watt power supply. Installed it, and... no power :( Re-installed my original Antec PP-303x 300watt aaand my pc runs fine.Contacted Antec customer support via e-mail. They suggested I jumper pin's 14 and 15 on the 20pin connector. Plug in to wall outlet and the psu fan should spin up proving their psu was ok. Well, I did all that, and it failed. So, sent them back a message; waiting for them to respond back.JimB

Jim,You aren't having much luck at the moment, are you ? I hope that this is the answer to your problems, because I would hate to see you leave the scene before sampling SanFran 2006 ;-) My beta testers have confirmed that the entire pack appears to be stable when installed, but there are just one or two issues that need to be sorted out before I can upload it to the FU3 file library.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest juvat2

Hi,Antec responded back instructing me to return the power supply. I returned it to Best Buy today and purchased a Antec TPII-430. I installed it and my pc boots fine. Still have the same video problems though.When I get time I'll pull the card out and re-install my V5-5500. I'll shelve the card till I ever build a new "modern" pc.It will be good to get back to Flt3 again, your new SanFran 2006 and Jons models.To John and Lars:Looks like I'll be back with the V5 again friends. Only old stuff seem to work for me.Bye to everybody now,JimB

Guest juvat2

Hi,Installed my V5-5500pci. Pc is running fine now. Bfg is on the shelf.Heading back to Miss' today some time later.You all take care,JimB