Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

Hello to all of you.

Guest twsimfan

Hi Guys,I have been "around" and reading the forum a couple of times a week but I have been having even more health problems than usual and haven't been in a very communicative mood I'm afraid. Aside from just a few laps in NR03 I haven't run any sim in months.And Bob has been having many problems of his own since the death of his mom back in May so he has been pretty much "out of touch" as well.It is a good thing that this is a fairly self-sufficient bunch of guys. :)I found myself off work for well over 2 months in July, August, September, and a bit into October. It was strange to have all the time in the world to fly my sims but not feel like it. Constant pain will do that for you. Since I've been back to work just trying to cope with keeping a normal schedule while also dealing with my sciatica has been a full time occupation. :(I have actually made some progress in dealing with the situation just in the last couple of weeks. I'm afraid that has more to do with some good advise from our friend Mr. Tom "Staggerwing" Beech than anything the doctors have done for me. Thanks Stag! :)If you guys need anything from me just give me a shout. Ooops... there have been a couple of requests for changes in the pinned posts that haven't got done. I'll see if I can figure out what is what on that. :-shyI hope you are all doing well as we come into this holiday season.

Guest Staggerwing

My pleasure Mr. Wunder :-) Hope it continues to improve over time..

It's nice to see you back, Tom. I hope that you (and Bob) manage to sort out your respective problems very soon. Perhaps an FU3/FURF chat at some point in the near future would help to raise everyone's spirits ? I would love to be able to speak to all of you guys again, and maybe we could even find a few minutes to talk about FU3 ? :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

Hiya Tom :-waveSorry to hear you are still unwell but it sounds like you're 'on the mend' now. Funny how all the doctors in the world can't tell you what a friend can! Funny, I keep hearing this sort of thing - especially related to back problems...It seems that if they DO know, they keep it to themselves in case it fails and you sue them. One friend of mine was almost 'pensioned off' (at 40!) because the insurance company-appointed doctors would not risk the simplest operation. Eventually, he spent near his life savings to take them to court and get some surgery.3 fused vertebrae later and he's back to building houses. If not for that op, he'd be pricing-up wheelchairs...And Bob, we haven't forgotten about you either - just pop up and say hi when you can. In the mean time, take care.:-wave

Guest Stearman

Hi Tom, glad to read you again.I hope you continue getting better off from now on, and that Bob manages to get over his problems too.Since I don't use FU3 anymore I hardly post here, but one can never really forget his roots, so I do always keep an eye on this forum.Best regards,

Guest CaptRolo

Skeaking of back pain ,share that advise ,my back hurts a lot .Part of getting old.?CaptRolo

Guest twsimfan

Stag,Thanks again. :-hahChris,It will be a little over 2 weeks before I could work a chat into my schedule but it might be a lot longer than that before I could sit for that long. Sciatica is literally a pain in the butt (as well as other anitomical parts). ;)I'm also certain that Bob would not be able to participate at this time. But you guys can have one at any time without us. If you do I'd like to have a transcript but that would be up to whoever was playing host. I'd also try to drop by for a short time if it worked in with my schedule.Jon,I'm not sure about on the mend but not quite so much pain. I hope your friend was able to recover his expenses as well as his health. I know the health is the important thing but one should not have to resign himself to poverty to achieve it! :-8Daniel,Thanks for the kind wishes. FS04 is my default flight sim these days too... but haven't used it in a long while now either. I need to. I bought a TrackIR 3 pro just before the sciatica sidelined my simming. Works great for FS. And I've been waiting for Captain Sim to come out with their C-130 for ages... now they have and I haven't bothered to buy it yet.I am disturbed by the rumors that MS will bring out the next version of FS for the X-Box only... hope that isn't the case. At the '04 AVSIM Conference the MS guys were talking about new planes (none named) and added features for the next version but I would have expected them to start hyping it about a year ago and would have expected a release several months ago now. I wont go with a X-Box but I guess I do have plenty of experience with discontinued sim series. ;) Oh well... people say X-Plane has improved a lot... :-hmmmRolo,Yep... getting old is no fun that be for sure. :( Stag suggested that I try a Tens unit. I got a chiropractor to loan me one and it helped a bunch. Went over a week with no pain meds. Problem was I ran into "other problems" with that chiropractor and had to give it back to him since I no longer wanted to use his services. So pain is back big time. But I have it mostly sorted out now and should have a new chiropractor and hopefully a new Tens shortly. :)Guys,Thanks for all the kind responses. :-jumpy

Tom,I would be ASTONISHED if the next version of Flight Simulator is for Xbox 360 ONLY. Microsoft would effectively be turning their back on a huge, loyal fanbase that have bought each successive version of their flight simulator for the past fifteen years or more. In addition, just how many Xbox gamers are likely to be interested in buying a flight simulator ? As far as I am aware, the vast majority of console gamers play GAMES. They couldn't care less about SIMULATIONS.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

Chris,For once I can't disagree with anything you have said. But we have seen lots of software companies and especially MS do things that we wouldn't have expected in the past.The hardest thing to believe would be that they would hang all the 3rd party developers out to dry. That is a huge industry.So hopefully FS06 or FS07 or whatever it is gonna be starts showing up on the radar soon. They obviously are not going with the 2 year interval we have come to expect or it would be out already. And we know we will see many months of hype before it is released... so far not happening.That poll AVSIM did a few weeks back seemed to indicate that the vast majority of people feel the same as I do... no intention of buying a X-Box and will use the old version as long as possible if that were to happen. I have to believe that MS was paying attention to that poll... if it will influence them or not we will see.But without anything but rumors to go on this is all speculation. And MS could/should put an end to all speculation with one press release stating their plans. The fact that they haven't done so leads me to believe that they haven't made up their minds yet.

Guest twsimfan

Chris,"Microsoft would effectively be turning their back on a huge, loyal fanbase that have bought each successive version of their flight simulator for the past fifteen years or more."In my case that would be 25 years... but that is cheating... going back to the SubLogic days and A2-FS1. :)I selected the Apple II+ as my first home computer only because it could run FS. Come to think of it that has pretty much been the case for all of my computers... chosen because they could run the latest, greatest, version of FS. The one before this (in it's first configuration) was actually picked to meet the demands of another program you may have heard of... called FU3. Which as it happened was the "latest, greatest, version of FS" at the time. ;) Got that one about 2 weeks before FU3 was originally supposed to be released. Of course by the time it was actually released those demands had gone up significantly requiring the 1st round of configuration upgrades for that machine. :-lol

The first version of FS that I used was FS2 on the Commodore Amiga 500 (Christmas 1988). I really liked FS in those days, but everything went pear shaped when Microsoft decided to introduce "photorealistic" graphics with FS5. Those graphics were some of the worst that I have EVER seen on the PC (a million times worse than the uncluttered, although admittedly BASIC look of FS4).Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

Chris,I think it is pretty much common thought that the version of FS we had on the Amiga was equal to FS4. (I had a Amiga 1000 which I upgraded to a 2000 when they came out.) I had FS2 on the Apple and it was a whole lot more basic than that. FS2 was the first to be in color and did feature 4 aircraft but it was pretty crude.FS5 (FS5.1 was my first PC version) did feature the first photorealistic scenery but there were only 2 small patches of it... the base (East end) of Lake Chelan & Martha's Vineyard... and they looked pretty good for the day.But we have had this discussion before. I liked 5.1 in it's day... a lot! The versions of FS I had issues with were FS98 and especially FS2K. I though they both were too awkward and therefore not immursive. We are not going to agree on the matter so what say we agree to disagree? :)

Tom,I don't intend to have any more arguments about old versions of FS. I just wanted to remind everyone that FS5 was crap :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png