Sign in to follow this  
Lars Peter

Hello.Just wanted to wish everyone here in this the most friendly forum on the internet,- a happy new year 2006.Lars Peter.:-wave

Guest Staggerwing

Thanks Lars, same to you :-)And to everyone else who stops by in these few remaining hours before the :-newbie year begins..

Guest glidernut

happy new year everyone.I wounder what this one will bring?glidernut:-outta

Well, it's just possible that I will create a Seattle 2006 pack. This would include a large number of scenery packages like those in SanFran 2006. I made the mistake of downloading DRG (Digital Raster Graphics) maps of the Seattle region several days ago, and I have now almost completed the "research" phase of the project (in other words, I have noted the positions of various landmarks like radio towers, water towers, marinas, substations etc).The prospect of creating another huge scenery pack is rather daunting, but I doubt that I have the capability to resist :-)One aspect of this work will be an upgrade to the SEATTLE PYLONS package. I have already noted various lines of pylons that I had overlooked (or simply ignored), so many of these will be added in the upgraded version. Those smaller pylons that Jon created will also be used here (particularly in the mountain areas).Fortunately, Jon created Seattle palette versions of all of his models, so I won't need to annoy him quite as often this time ;-) Mind you, I might want a handful of bridges doing at some point in the future........Chris Low.PS. Don't expect this pack any time soon. It will take a fair bit of hard work to get it done.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest CaptRolo

Happy "2006" to all you fellow pilots where ever you are on this beautiful EARTH CaptRolo

Happy New Year to all of you :-)A better Seattle sounds like a good idea and the new Switzerland looks great. I'm looking forward to obtaining it.best wishes,Hans Petter

Guest The Sim

I wish all FU3 enthusiasts a happy New Year, good luck and lots of fun both at work and with your families.Many thanks to all of you for keeping that outstanding piece of flight simulation software alive. The aircraft, the controllers, and the scenery are virtual, but the fun is real.Thomas

After careful consideration, I have decided NOT to go ahead with an extensive upgrade of the Seattle region. After compiling a rather large list of scenery packages to add, and mapping out the electricity pylon network for the region, I have realised that attempting this would simply prevent me from actually FLYING in FU3 (and also doing other stuff that would be far more productive).I apologise if my earlier post resulted in uncontrollable levels of excitement, but I think that it would be best if I concentrate on the SanFran region ONLY ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Further to my comments regarding my decision NOT to upgrade the Seattle region any further, I suddenly realised that my efforts would be best spent on extending the pylon network in the SanFran region. The existing SANFRAN PYLONS package (which I have now recombined into a single, 400K folder) is far from exhaustive, so an upgraded version can be expected in the near future.In addition, if any of you know of any radio towers, fire towers, or wind turbines in the SanFran region that are NOT already included in SanFran 2006, then please let me know !Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Kestrel 2

Thanks, Christopher, for working more on SF. I've seen your screenshots and I'm looking forward to trying out your upgrades, but I have a question first.This all came about because my hard drive was replaced with a larger capacity HDD. I need to reinstall FU 3, but when I looked at my CDs, the first disk of FU 2 was not with the rest. I think you need both FU 2 CDs to do a combined reinstall of FU 3 and FU 2, but I can't remember. All I remember was that there was a lot of CD swapping in the process.Not to worry about the missing CD. I'm sure I'll find it somewhere soon, and if I don't, I bought copies for my son and brother that I could borrow.On the other hand, if I don't need that first FU 2 CD, I could install everything right away and then install your upgrades.Let me know if I'll need it.Thanks!

Guest Kestrel 2

Tried to edit above post but time to edit had expired?!?!?Anyway, I found the first FU 2 CD. So no problem with new installation - but as I got started, I had to choose to install outer terrain or not. Normally, I'd go right ahead - but it seems I read something here in the past about that. I do want Christopher's San Fran update. What about that outer terrain? I'll keep looking, but I would appreciate any help.PS- Please reply here rather than my e-mail. The e-mail I used to register here is an account I rarely check. Thanks!

Guest fu3

You can use Sanfran 2006 with outer terrain OK. It's just that you must be careful about how many airports you end up with!After installation, create a 'temp' folder in your outterrairports folder and move some airport folders into it. I suggested this to someone else here recently: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...14935&mode=full:-wave

Kestrel 2,Installing the outer terrain scenery is purely a matter of choice. I DON'T have it installed, and this is because I prefer the high resolution terrain scenery in the SanFran and Seattle regions to be "mirrored" at the edges. This gives the impression of an endless expanse of high resolution terrain. If the outer terrain scenery is installed (which I personally consider to be far too bland and generic), you will see clearly defined "edges" where the high resolution terrain regions merge with the outer terrain scenery. In my opinion, this just looks ugly, but others think differently.In short, it's your choice. Jon has already stated that you need to be careful regarding the number of airport icons that you have in total if the outer terrain scenery is installed, but I am pretty sure that this only applies to the Seattle region. You should be able to install SanFran 2006 without any problems whatsoever.Chris Low.PS. If you want the most up to date version of SanFran 2006, then you also need to download SanFran 2006 Plus from the file library. I would have thought that ALL users of SanFran 2006 would do this, but a ratio of 107:328 downloads would suggest otherwise :-)Anyway, SanFran 2006 Plus Two (or whatever I end up calling it) will be released in the future, and that will involve more extensive upgrades (including an expansion of the pylon/substation network...and hopefully a few nice extras from Jon Point) ;-)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Kestrel 2

FU 3 -Thanks for the reply. I tried to search for the info before I posted, but I can't get the info I want from a search on these forums. I use several other forums daily, but this one is set up differently and I can't even find my inbox! I really do appreciate having this forum, though. It's great that avsim hosts us!Thanks for mentioning the idea of having a temp folder for extra airports. I'm going to paste that VERY helpful idea into a document that I file and save on my hard drive. I saw your message earlier on the forum and I think it's a great idea.I see that Christopher posted after you and he mentioned that you can mirror terrain to have it high resolution all the way. I like that idea. But does that mean that the features such as the grand canyon are gone? That would be a definite drawback.Sorry I hijacked this thread, but I am glad I got in touch with you.See you on the avsim FU III forum!