Sign in to follow this  
Guest evansgg

Seattle Map Question

Guest evansgg

Hi, I know as you get older you are supposed to get smarter, but ....... I have installed FUIII/FUII on my new machine but find that when I try to select another airport in the Seattle Region I get a low resolution map image on my screen and a program freeze. I can move about using challenges though, it is only when I try to get a map up to select a new airport I crash the program. I should remember this problem and the solution from earlier experiences but dont. So if any kind soul out there would take pity on me please.......

Do you have any addons installed for the Seattle region ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest evansgg

Hi Chris,I have your Seattle 2005 installed along with ai_package_callsign0_1beta, ai_package_v1_00, and a few planes. For the San Fran region I have also sanfran_2006, sanfran_2006_plus, carquinez_bridges, and gnoss. Thanks.Gary

Guest fu3

Too many airports?Using Seattle 2005 and Sanfran 2006 may cause issues if you have outer terrain (airports) installed. Create a temp folder in your outterrAIRPORTS folder and try dragging a dozen airport folders into it. Just drag the first 12 and see what happens.IF it works, drag them back, one by one until FU3 freezes again - that's your limit (well, one less...). I certainly don't keep ALL of my OT folders active all the time ;):-waveRegards,Jon PointGlide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest landing spot...

Gary,If you have the outer terrain scenery installed, did you follow the installation instructions for Seattle 2005 to the letter ? As Jon says, the Seattle region can suffer from "too many airport icons syndrome". Have you removed the "extra airport" folders that I suggested in the readme file ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest evansgg

Yes thanks Chris. I did that and it still didnt work properly. I think I did the right thing with the add ons. However I was trying to install Over Flanders Fields into my CFS3 and althought I did restore points before and after everything I did the registry seems to have got corrupted so I have uninstalled the program and will start from scratch. The restore to restore point doesnt work either so I have done a windows reinstall. Hopefully I will be up and flying in no time. I did get a message about my video card not being able to translate the textures palette with FUII though before I uninstalled.

Let us know if everything works fine after the reinstallation.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

There's a nice way out of this - next time ;)Before (actually, during) XP installation, create a separate partition for FU3. You'll need about 4-5Gb. Install it there. Once you get FU3 installed and running OK (basic stuff only - original CDs), copy the whole darn lot onto a DVD or another folder on your HD.This way, you can trash XP all you want, restore from checkpoints, even re-partition your boot drive - all without affecting FU3. I've found that XP does weird stuff under restore and many applications stop working - necessitating a full XP reinstall :-grrFortunately, FU3 doesn't require ANY registry entries and you can have as many copies of it as you want! I have 4. Well, 3 'operating' ones; Seattle-only basic (as a 'clean' test version), UKS and my 'full' Seattle and Sanfran with all packages and models (still only ~4gb). I also have my 'instant restore' super-clean Seattle and Sanfran version on HD and DVD. When I re-partitioned my HD, I simply copied the 'instant restore' version from one partition to another, added the extra files and was flying (those who have seen me attempt air travel may disagree with that description) in about 15 minutes!Of course, it took me about 20 installs over the years to arrive at this method ;):-waveRegards,Jon PointGlide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest landing spot...

Jon,I had to reformat the hard disk, and reinstall everything over the weekend. This was a result of problems with my internet connection software, and several failed attempts to correct the problem.....using SYSTEM RESTORE !When reinstalling FU3, Windows excelled itself by endlessly informing me that I had put the wrong CD in the drive, even though the install routine carried on in the background ! When I eventually get a DVD-RW drive (probably an external one), I must remember to burn myself a bootable DVD copy of the FU3/FU2 combination. It would make life so much easier ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Torstein

"FU3 doesn't require ANY registry entries"I am suprised at your statement as FU3 and also FU2, both write a number of lines to the registry - and to boot - deletes some.E.g. FU3 adds 3 lines to "current config" and no less than 57 entries to "root classes" in addition to numerous additions to "current user". The latter is mostly a swop as a similar number of HKCU are deleted. Also deleted are 4 entries to HKLM.If you keep your FU3 files in a separate partition I take it to be a primary partition which you also boot from?I have not tried to fiddle with the FU3 registry keys as I had quite a hassle to get FU2 installed in conjunction with installing FU3 - the installation came to a halt and the only way of finishing was to make a "quick flight" and then cancel and exit.By the way - being one of the anonymous users I really appreciate the work of enhancement and extensions performed by messrs. Low,Avermeyer et al. The DC3 of Avermeyer is a model I believe, that can be set up to perform an approach and landing that simulates the real thing.rgrdsT.MoshuusNorway

I can confirm that FU3 doesn't REQUIRE any registry entries even though it may write to the registry. I've got several instances of our beloved sim, just as Jon does. The registry will know about the one I installed a long time ago but it knows nothing about the ones I just copied to other locations. Either one will launch and run flawlessly when I click its flight3.exe.The points to making copies are:1) You may keep a clean stock installation as a backup in case some add-on messes up the one that you're using and tweaking.2) You may have new regions as totally separate sims that won't interfere with the standard Looking Glass regions. Actually, there IS a registry "thing" that prevents multiple installations - if you try to install FU3 on a PC that has it already your only option will be to uninstall. However, nothing prevents you from having multiple copies as long as you obtain them by copy and paste rather than by spinning the installation disks. regards,Hans Petter

Guest fu3

H-P,"Actually, there IS a registry "thing" that prevents multiple installations - if you try to install FU3 on a PC that has it already your only option will be to uninstall. However, nothing prevents you from having multiple copies as long as you obtain them by copy and paste rather than by spinning the installation disks."I think if you delete all the FU3 registry entries after install (using regedit and searching for 'looking glass', 'flight unlimited' and 'flt3.exe'), you CAN install a fresh copy. I think I did that for my UKS one.:-wave

Guest 455RAAF_Bilbo

Hi Chris,I got my PC up and running again after reformatting and partitioning windows etc etc. I now have 3 versions of FUIII, Seattle, SanFran, and the other one. I could not get Seattle2005 to coexist with SanFran2006 no matter what I did so I figure I will just click on the one that will be the primary flight. I can navigate from one region to another easily provided I only have one enhancement installed.As a long shot, I have taken my PC back to the shop for a check up as there is a lot of electrical emission interference on the am radio band when I power up my PC. I dont get that interference when I use this (my wife's) PC. I might have a dodgy power supply but I am not sure it would explain the incompatible thing.