Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pkilmurray

Building/designing scenery... hints/tips???

Guest Pkilmurray

Obviously, as a relative new comer to Flight Unlimited, there are numerous things I have yet to discover. The main

Guest glidernut

Paul,Yes the UK and Switserland scenerys hav alredy been dun for FU3.And you dont hav to be a roket syiantist or brain sergen to do it.Althow INITIALY you may well think you need mor brain sels than youv got.Agtim's FU3 High Resolution Terrain Processing Workshop - http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/glidernut.

Guest fu3

Meanwhile, if you're thinking of a whole new region, you may want to think about getting familiar with FLED and making/modifying your own package, before you create the entire West coast!And keep on asking questions!:-waveRegards,Jon PointGlide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest landing spot...

I really do need to sit down and learn about this technique of building new scenery terrain areas. An expansion to the east (and possibly north) of the existing San Francisco scenery region would be my priority. I assume that doing this would not result in any ridiculous "would you like to load the new scenery area" prompts ?Chris Low.PS. Have you received my latest e-mails, Jon ?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The "would you like to load the new scenery area" comes up when you enter another scenery area - it's pretty much like switching to another sim since the areas are totally independent. Each one has its own tiles defined from a to z, starting in the lower left corner of the region. Hence, Sanfran and Seattle represent areas that can be expanded northwards and eastwards (up and to the right) but they can not be expanded westwards and southwards since this is where the starting tiles are defined. If one were to join Sanfran and Seattle one would have to move upwards from Sanfran and redefine each Seattle tile to include it as belonging to the northern grid of the new region. In other words, while you can have "a" and "aa" etc there's no way to get less than an "a" - if you want to add tiles below the "a tile" you'd have to redefine all tiles to get a new starting point.Region expansion will add new tiles northwards and eastwards. These will be an inherent part of the region with letter designations that add logically to the original set of tiles. Hence, you are not leaving a specific hi-res region when you fly into an expanded area and there's no new scenery involved as the sim is concerned. best regards,Hans Petter

Any work of this nature will have to wait at the moment, since I am currently starting an expansion of the pylons and substations in the SanFran region. One problem that I have encountered is that any new "small" pylons that I add don't seem to display beyond very close range. It seems to be related to the fact that the ptwr31.bin file (the lower polygon version of the model) is not being displayed for any pylons that I have added since the original package was built ! Quite how this is possible is anybody's guess, since I can see the existing small pylon lines stretching away to a considerable distance :-hmmm Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Pkilmurray

I have played around with FLED, and stuck the odd building here and there, disregarding any possible construction & development laws within the area (why fill out planning application forms; you want a skyscraper on the mountain, go for it). All fun, and passes the time in a way which always makes me think I should be getting on with something more important (the grass could do with a trim, and so on).My next couple of questions are, as always, as follows;1.) FLED allows you to build on existing scenery? How (I assume it is possible), can you create a whole new region (including designing the land/water/mapping etc

Hi Paul,Take a look at the Advanced library listing. (040605) GENERAL FU3 TOOLSto get the needed links to tools for scenery builder.Cornwall is included in UK_South part.To create 3D-Models you need Robert's tutorials and tools and the free version of GMAX and/or Anim8or.To create a new region you first need a picture source of aerial orthogonal corected picture having a resolution of 4m/pixel.Without this - just forget it.Elevation is fine today using SRTM from NASA.Visit my page www.agtim.ch/fu3 - tell me whitch country you will build.Important are just the pictures !1 megatile in FU3 has 4096 x 4096 pixels -> 16484 x 16384 metersYou must have such an area to start makeing a region.This was a test with Vancouver - without elevation, takes me more than 2 evenings to create. :-wave agtimhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/138424.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/138425.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/138426.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/138427.jpg

Guest Pkilmurray

I noticed that my request for the UK South region fell on deaf ears. I read through some of the earlier posts, and noticed that others had requested this package, but to no avail. Is there some secret clique I need to join in order to be granted access to the UK scenery

Paul,I think that a significant amount of "UK South chat" is indeed done at a separate location, but I have no idea where. So, guys. Can you help this poor soul find salvation ? ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest markyc

Paul,Don't worry about the UK south scenery being for the the members of some secret society only. I think the people in 'the Know' have to be a bit careful about copyrights etc, so they can't advertise it. I asked about it myself and was pointed in the right direction. Unfortunately because of the size of the beast I was unable to take up the kind offer.(It's about 5 Gigs if I remember correctly. That would take a long time to download on Dial up!)To be honest though, there's more than enough to keep me happy in both the SanFran and Seattle regions.If you really are interested in UK South I'm sure someone will contact you, as Chris has already said. The guys on this forum are the best when it comes to helping people to get the most out of this sim.Mark:)