Sign in to follow this  
Guest gweddle

Taxiing Problems

Guest gweddle

Hey all,I just bought FU3. I usually play FS2004, but I got FU3 to use on my laptop for when I'm away. Anyway, it runs great! There is just one problem which is really annoying me!I have a fairly cheap USB joystick that doesn't have a rudder axis. The flight lesson says just use the left and right arrow keys. This is all well and good, but when using the arrow keys the turning circle when taxiing is absolutely HUGE! At some airports its practically impossible to turn into taxiways without rolling onto the grass.This can be made easier by using the left and right brakes. But the left and right brakes are useless when trying to turn the beechjet or seaplanes on water.I have searched and searched but not had much luck. I'd imagine it would be fine if using a decent joystick, but I don't want to buy a

Guest R_Driscoll

The taxiing characteristics are meant to be realistic! - i.e. different planes will have different turning circles (eg 747 vs Cessna!) but also different planes have different methods for turning. On water, some planes have rudders (eg Beaver) in the water, some use the tail as a rudder (eg Renegade). But the turning circle on water will be larger than on land (of course) and highly dependent on speed. On land, some of the planes have a turning nose wheel, others use differential braking, differential engine power (eg on twins). Using the left/right arrow keys doesn't make a lot of sense - on my computer that controls the ailerons (useful for preventing weathercocking and preventing crosswinds from tipping the aircraft, not for steering!) You should try using the "<" and ">" keys - maybe that's what you're doing and I've misunderstood. As you already know, for the brakes use the INS and DEL keys on the keypad (I keep NUM LOCK turned OFF for this). For differential power find out how to operate the throttles independently (easiest with mouse). This is very useful on water. So if you can't keep to the taxiway, then probably you have the wrong plane for that airport (eg if you use the 747 at Clare's Valley). Hope that helps,Robert.

Guest fu3

Certainly, the left/right arrows are NOT the go!As Rob says, use the < & > keys. For larger aircraft, to turn sharply, you need to do 3 things: steer, brake with the 'inside' wheel (use the 'ins' and 'del' keys on the keypad) and use differential power settings (i.e. slow the inner engine(s) and power-up the outer one(s)).This is all quite normal and is quite realistic. If you ever wondered why heavies slow so much to turn around, now you know! With smaller aircraft, it's also the same. In the Warrior that I train in (real life), if you hit full rudder when stopped, you'd never move an inch, even with the brakes off. This is because the engine (source of power) is directly over the nosewheel. With the engine pulling forward and the wheel at 90 degrees, all you have is a brake :-rollIn this case, reduce the rudder a bit, let the plane start rolling and hog the left brake - the plane will spin on a dime.To turn the 747 very tightly, don't use differential braking (or you'll stop...). This is due to the sheer number of wheels involved and the resulting drag caused by trying to turn them. It sorta works like it's own brake. In this case, throttle-down the 2 engines on the side you are turning to, kick the nosewheel and throttle-up the others.BTW, you DO realise that in real, larger aircraft, the nosewheel is only 'engaged' for taxiing? Many aircraft don't use the rudder controls for nosewheel steering, they have a separate 'steering wheel' just for the purpose. For many reasons, the nosewheel simply castors during takeoff and landing. This facilitates operation under crosswind conditions. Differential braking is used on touch-down to get the plane straight on the runway.Sorry to throw this all in so quickly but MSFS isn't known for it's ground handling :-lol and it's quite possible to fly it for years without realising ANY of this!:-waveJon Point

Guest R_Driscoll

Yes, I remember with Falcon IV (in my younger and wilder days, about 150 years ago) the little NWS (Nose Wheel Steering) light which would go off as you built up speed for takeoff. I don't think FU3 simulates this though? Well, maybe it does for the Beechjet, but for sure there's no NWS light! Ands it makes sense - you try using the nose wheel to turn a plane accelerating to takeoff speed and I imagine you would be imposing some pretty large torques on a very thin piece of strut.No wonder they're called taxing problems.Cheers all,Robert.

Jon,If LGS could have eliminated that "sliding from side to side" problem that affects the planes at certain airports, then I would have been even happier :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest gweddle

Thanks guys. I just figured out that the rudder controls are completely different. The problem is with FU3 you cannot see or change the key assignments!Don't worry I understand that larger planes have bigger turning cirlces :) Just didn't know there was a key map.Thanks!

Guest R_Driscoll

Excellent - happy flying then!

Guest fu3

Cannot see or change the key assignements?Yes, you sure can!There is an FU3 'Quick reference Key Card'. I don't have it with me but it exists. Here 'tis:http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=14442There is also a 'joykeys.cfg' file which lets you set any reasonable combination of controls (i.e. you can alter what the standard setting are, to suit your setup).Read all the documentation, as supplied with FU3. It's all there somewhere. If not, search the forums here for info....and have FUN :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest gweddle

Thanks Jon,Most appreciated. I have the manual in PDF format which makes reading time consuming. Much of the game is the same to FU2 which I used to have so I'm quite used to it. Just a bit of a rusty memory! :)Thanks again everyone! :)