Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Just some questions

Guest R_Driscoll

Q1.Some of the F4 views have terrible (really really terrible) instrument panels, and given the graphics space allocated to them (256x256) they could be a lot better. I can't stand F4 views anymore, even though I used to like them because of the realistic feel of the view out of the window.Here's the problem - I can make better panels within that limitation of 256x256, but the graphics are indexed BMP fixed to a palette and I can't convert 24 bit BMP's into the correct palette without the colours going wrong. I don't have Corel Draw or Photoshop - is there some way to make a BMP picture adapt to the palette? I imagine that if I simply change the palette and reimport it into the plane, everthing else in the F4 view will look wrong in colour.Q2.Its getting too difficult to upload packages because the model database keeps changing and I don't know what people have or don't have any more in their GEN directories. I have recenly made Birmingham (adapted from the original package - mainly the cityscape not the airport) and Fretherne, but haven't uploaded because each package has 1000's of models and its too difficult to include all models used with the package.I'm thinking the time has come just to upload the models and let people make their own packages. All that's needed is some basic familiarity with FLED and I can include co-ordinate locations for the main buildings (using the CTRL-O object dialogue screen). Then people can make packages simple or as complex as they like or their machine can handle.Any other options?robd323.

Guest fu3

Rob,1. Export the aircraft's palette using Resviewer as a .pal file.2. Open i.Mage (download from http://www.memecode.com/image.php )3. Open the graphic you wish to convert (must be in 16/24bit format first).4. Hit 'File/New properties' and click on 8-bit.5. A popup appears "Reduce to paletted image". You can select the palette file now, and whether you want dithering or not.6. Voila! One bitmap, remapped to the aircraft palette ;)As to Q2, you think you have problems? This is why I've abandoned databases all together (well, not totally, just not put extra models in 'em). With them out in the open, one can upload all used models with each package, and users will always have the correct set** As long as nobody modifies a model or texture for their own use and includes that in the upload :-roll:-waveRegards,Jon PointGlide Distance: Never enough. Never, ever enough...

Hi!I'm a :-newbie around here, although I have been keeping an eye on the forum for some time. Guess I'm one of those "silent" members.I must say that I think you guys are doing a fantastic job in keeping FU3 flying. I often wonder what the original FU developers must think when they see how FU3 has grown "beyond the box". Great work!Now onto the thread....I use Paint Shop Pro for palette stuff. You can often find a cheap copy on eBay. Another good (free) alternative is Imageforge. Downloadable from http://www.cursorarts.com/ca_imf.htmlAnyhow, that's my two bobs worth. Roger Over

Hi Robert,Q1: I use Photoeditor.exe from the Microsoft Office Suite.1. create a template with the needed palette and size it to the final size.2. open the 24 bit bitmap 3. copy / paste it into the template and you get a good fit of the colors. All megatiles was built this way.Q2: Just upload the package ! there are enough tools to search and check for completenes (FledViewer, ModelBrowser and your Check Tool!) :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Well there's some great answers to my questions. OK, I'll try all of these and see what happens. Thanks Jon, agtim, Roger.Robert.

Regarding models and packages I agree that there's no harm done by uploading the same models several times. Models are extremely small in terms of file size and the only thing to worry about will be to ensure that everybody gets them all. Overwriting is no problem. Actually, one might even upgrade some model textures and overwrite the old ones without wreaking havoc as long as the models themselves stay the same. In other words, the only thing to avoid is to replace a 3D model with a different one (same name, different file size).We should certainly create and upload packages since it seems that few simmers want to create their own. But then, we should also encourage others to create and upload packages. Sure, the possibility of clashes exists but as long as we don't get too many competing airports this is no major concern. I've been advocating scenery / buildings packages to complement existing airport packages -- add all the buildings and trees that your PC can handle, create more suburbs and villages but do not mess with the airport layouts.Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

Well that gives me some homework for sure. OK, I will try to get a new version of Birmingham and this new "villagey" work on Fretherne up and ready for export in the next few weeks. And the ideas for working with graphics palettes worked well - I can't believe how well! I've now got a new more realistic cockpit in my cessna_sch, and I can't understand why I haven't tried this before. Here's some pics to show the difference.ORIGINAL: (F4 view)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/149001.jpgNEW:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/149002.jpgNEW with light falling on panel.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/149003.jpgI think this makes the rather clumsy F4 view a bit more attractive - it now looks something like the F2/F3 view of the front panel. I haven't "lighted" the instruments yet - but that would be easy to do. I mean the panel is electrically dead in these pics.I worked from the actual F3 view panel exported from ResViewer, added a copilot side, shrunk to 256x256 (so its a bit blurry), but haven't edited the instruments yet.Robert.

Guest glidernut

Hans Petter,Yes I agree with you about us needing package developers.Espeshaly the simpl small packajes away from airports.But Im not shoower about just Fled models being put on avsim.I think its preferabl to hav all new Fled models interdused intothe game as in a package.Without them being in a pckage, thay are lightly to get lost,forgoten, or by chance, never used, or seen.In Fled, quight often the only way I can fined a particuler model Im looking for, is by opening a package whair I know I hav seen it.Iv got about 20 new Fled models my self, but Iill not put them onavsim untill Iv dun a pckage of sum sort.Ps, Iv just realized that bowth you and I hav just cum in on therong thred!O, well, what the hek, it dont mater.glidernut.

Guest glidernut

RobD,Well dun Rob, I did not think you would get a werth while improovmentwithout spliting the panal model into tow or mor seprat models andthen asineing a 256 x 256 to eech of them, but you hav, so well dun.The only way I could acheev a deesant panal in the Vigilant F4 vewwas to spilt the panal model onto three and do eech of the three with256x256. Thats useing 3 times mor just for the panal, than sum aircraft usefor thair entiyer F4 vew model.Hear is the cuming Vigilant F4 vew panal.glidernut.

Guest R_Driscoll

Yes, you're right, the new Vigilant panel looks far sharper. But I don't know how to split the panel into more parts - I think I would have to change the F4 model itself to do that, but that would be difficult. Anyway, its an improvement as is, and I will add some active instruments and maybe fix up the non-circular instruments a bit, and I'd be happy with that. I wasn't really planning to rebuild the whole F4 model, that's something for the real experts like that glider guy from UK. But mainly because I just don't know how to.So I look forward to your new plane - what's the release date? (I know, it'll be ready when its ready). Robert.