Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stanner1953

Why?

Just adding my opinion -- even though I like all good flight simulators FU3 is the one that will stay. An obvious reason why it stays is that there won't be any next version ;( However, as Ansgar mentioned this has one advantage -- addons and tweaks won't be rendered obsolete every two years.Fled has been mentioned. Non-FU3ers will not know what this means to scenery design and I wonder why MS hasn't created a similar thing. Fled means that you can browse the scenery, zoom in and out and place objects in a total what-you-see-is-what-you-get manner. Then you can pan around, readjust the position and evaluate the model under all light conditions before you even launch the sim. Fled enables anybody to create and re-create the scenery as he wishes. Hence, you may create your own version, modify someone elses or take it as it is. With MS Flight Simulator I haven't done anything but installing scenery addons made by others and I have no idea what it would take to make or modify a *.bgl. Hans Petter

How do MSFS scenery builders place their stuff in the FS world ? Is it a case of having to know the coordinates and orientation in advance, or do they simply use a system of trial and error ? If it's the latter, then it must be a NIGHTMARE :-eekI really can't understand why Microsoft haven't created a utility like FLED. User created scenery is a HUGE part of the FS world, so it seems rather strange that this hasn't been done (unless you want to be cynical, and suggest that this would make it too easy for freeware scenery builders to create stuff, thereby harming the business of the PAYWARE guys).No comment ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Fled is very usefull tool for FU. I don't know how it is in FS04 but FSSC was created for FS02. The scenery can be created using real distances or real coordinates. But with photoscenery it's easy to place models. Scenery builder has to make a screen of the edited area and set it as a background in FSSC.Not as easy as fled but relativly easy.B.Adamski

Hello, I just wanted to get a feel for FU3. I currently own FU2 and was looking into FU3 just as a diversion to FS. I've looked at x-plane as well and I'm on the fence between the 2 though FU3 is far cheaper. I haven't used FU2 in nearly 6 years I think but may re-install over the weekend and may buy FU3 tomorrow. One of the aspects of FS that has always bothered me is weather simulation and general atmosphere as far as GA is concerned. I love flying the smaller planes and avoiding weather, but in FS you can fly through thunderstorms without any fear and was noting from this thread the dynamic nature of the weather in the FU series which has prompted me to try it out again this weekend.One question I have as I own FU2, what can I gain from purchasing FU3? I know you can combine FU2 with FU3 and get new areas, but what improvements are there or is there any good websites that show the features of FU3?ThanksIan.

In my opinion, a significant gain is that FU3 supports rudder pedals. If you're serious about flying GA aircraft in dynamic weather you know what I mean.Otherwise, you get all the upgrades and addons that have been produced for FU3 -- precious few of those would be usable in FU2.Hans Petter

Sorry, I just noticed the list of resources at the top. I've ordered FU3 and just finished installing FU2 and took it for a slight spin, wow it does show its age graphically. Anyway, it's really more about gameplay for me at this point, and the overall ambience which is lacking a bit in FS even with all the usual add-ons.Weather is the key for me and aircraft reactions to said weather, and I've seen several posts on the FSX forum concerning the dynamic properties of FU3 weather so I'm looking forward to jumping in and enjoying a different aspect of flight simming again. Ian.

FU2 certainly "shows its age graphically". The only thing us FU3ers of today use is the FU2 scenery -- that is, adding the FU2 San Fransisco area to FU3. FU2 models (aircraft and buildings) are way behind the FU3 stock models which again are way behind our later addon aircraft and models. Hence, even by judging FU3 out-of-the-box you'll not be able to see what it's all about today. Basically, we have two Looking Glass photo-scenery areas, the weather model and the aircraft dynamics. Beyond that you won't have to contend with much 1997 stuff since there are better visual models to download for free. Once you get hold of your copy of FU3 get one of the more recent aircraft from the Avsim library :-)Hans Petter

Ian,When you have installed FU3, the FU2 San Francisco scenery, Ansgar Avermeyer's high detail AI planes pack, a bunch of high quality flyable planes, and some scenery addons (I recommend the SanFran 2006 pack :-)).....then you will be able to see what FU3 is all about ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thank you for the replies, still waiting for the priority mail delivery, should be sometime this week. I'll check out the add-ons, and I'm looking forward to having some fun.Ian.

Guest CaptRolo

Well a little late on reply , all of you Fu3 pilots have said it beautifully.As for me ,I have tried the others and shelfed them .What I like , is to fly an aircraft as real as It gets.When I choose a plane to fly I get into cockpit at parking space ,and go through all the realities of flying just using my Yoke ,mouse and pedals. The programed buttons let me do it all without pushing keys to get views . I look to left and right ,panel gauges and outside .Talk to ATC and ground control. Take off and land just as I do in a real aircraft .Not to mention The joys of working with FLED .I cannot tell you how much enjoyment and thrills I have experienced from this Sim . I have gone through storms, Spaceal dissorientation ,IFR to 100 ft ,total darkness ,getting lost ,running out of fuel ,Iceing , Radio out ,landing gear malfunction ,engine loss,flameout,and your all alone in cockpit and you make it down somehow.You feel good Job well done . Next day your flying over Beautiful mountains and lakes peaceful and serene, sunrise and sunsets ,ATC vectors for........CaptRolo

Just an update and a few questions, got FU3 installed, it asked to install San Fran and it did so. Did a few flights, of course I went throught the nasty thunderstorms and ripped my wings of the cessna. What a difference as to the violence of dangerous thunderstorms compared to FS.Anyway, installed some of the scenery such as San Fran 2006 and Seattle 2005 and added a baron. I'm not sure what files are necessary but I'm trying them as I go and taking it slow. My question is, I'm getting a crash when viewing the map and I'm not sure why, but I'll play around and re-install unless I missed something essential.I will say, despite the age, the flight is wonderful and the atmosphere of the sim is unrivaled, one can only hope FSX will be able to replicate the weather and interaction between the aircraft and the world outside as has been accomplished within FU.Ian.

Ian,Is it the SEATTLE map that you are having problems with ? If so, can you tell me if you have any other scenery addons installed for that region (in addition to my Seattle 2005 pack) ? Did you follow the instructions to the letter ?Let me know, and I will try to help you out.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It was Seattle and to be honest, I bumrushed the add-ons instead of doing it one by one. I'm re-installing now and will try again.Ian.

Re-install successfull. Took a flight and completed the first landing and I'll say it feels very different than FS in the mooney. Wow. I'm going to back up the whole seattle folder and re-install the 2005 package and start from there. My guess is I put something where it shouln't have been so I'll see what happens.Thanks, Ian.

Okay, re-installed the 2005 Seattle and it still crashed at the map, BUT, I noticed the outer airport deletion in the readme and deleted those aiports in the seattle folder....success! I did not notice that the first time.... lesson learned. Back to the fun!Ian.