Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stanner1953

Why?

Guest Motormouse

For future reference, there is an absolute limit to the number of airfield icons (and active airfields) that can be used, can't remember the exact number right now, er Chris,Rolo can you fill this in ?:-wavePete

Guest Motormouse

>Gentlemen:>I cannot speak about the airflows. In FS9:> a. you can get live ATC in VATSIM or IVAO> b. you can get interactive ATC software> c. you can obtain stunning scenery (payware)> d. you can download live weather> e. you can fly excellent freeware aircraft, both GA and>commercial.> f. you can fly superb payware aircraft, both GA and>commercial.> h. you can fly in different terrain around the world>>Sorry, but I just do not get it. However, one of the>wonderful things about life is that we are all different. >Imagine if we all liked the same thing, dressed the same, ate>the same food etc.? How borrowing it would be. Continued>success with your FlyU3 sim.>>StannerAll very valid points indeed, but lets examine them closer,1)Both Vatsim and IVAO need a pc connected to the internet and additional software to run,not everyone has the benefit of a broadband connection,or wants the cost of dial-up for those every time they want to go simming, or interactive atc that vectors you (sic)into a hill during an ils approach.2)Why should I pay extra for something that should be already included in a sim that purports to be "As real as it gets"?3) refer to 2)4) As can be done for Flight Unlimited, admittedly with the use of additional programs 'Weather Unlimited' and 'Infometar'. Weather generation,along with real thermals and ridge effects are right there in FUIII. To 'soar' on thermals or ridge lift in MSFSyou'll need to download hundreds of user created scenery files.5)& 6) Thats' true, and in the main they are far better than what Microsoft provide out of the box, however sadly, a lot are just eye-candy, marvellous examples of the 3d modellers art spoiled with poor flight models,unrealistic engine performance, and like I stated before, why should I pay extra for something that should be already included in a sim that purports to be "As real as it gets"?7)That is the one area where MS has it licked, anyone can fly in their own backyard, however it still doesn't have the 4m per pixel resolution that came with FUIII, right out of the box.Ok thats' my 2006 rant (copyright Chris Low) over :-wavePete

The interaction of weather and terrain has been mentioned -- crucial in creating ridge lift and downdrafts for gliders. As far as I know other sims have weather that doesn't relate to the terrain at all -- as the "weather engine" is concerned you'll be flying over a flat plain all the time.Another thing that may have been forgotten, have you noticed that the wheels of FU3 planes interact with the ground? This may seem obvious to most of us but the thing is that proper ground handling remains to be seen in FS. There's no (or, very limited) lateral friction as if the airplanes were on castor wheels. Mess up a landing in FU3 and your plane veers and topples -- do the same in FS and the aircraft just goes sliding sideways. In other words, while FS models downward forces on the landing gear quite well it still lacks an algorithm for sideways forces on the gear (undercarriage). Wheels are supposed to roll in one direction only.While this point doesn't relate to flight handling per se it is significant to learn what happens if you touch down with a sideslip or with the steering wheel turned to one side. Try some crosswind landings in FU3 and you'll know the difference.Hans Petter

Guest Stanner1953

Gentlemen:You should read what you have written. Fu3 has more realistic downdrafts for gliders, more realistic wheel/ground simulation etc.The fact remains that the flight area in FU3 is limited to a few northwestern states, older aircraft, and scenery. Today there are beautiful fly by wire aircraft, and realistic scenery available for MS FS2004, not to mention that you can fly anywhere in the world with live ATC if you desire. Sorry, but you folks are nit picking trying to justify living in the past with obsolete software, which every day gets that much older and out of the mainstream. Good night.Stanner

While it is true that the graphics are becoming outdated and the scenery is limited, I've noticed the feel and atmosphere have yet to be rivaled by FS not to mention ground handling. Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping the new version of FS addresses these issues and the living world concept looks great as do the new mission creation capabilities, but I will continue to fly both, FS when I want and now FU3 when I want, they both have pluses and minuses and until a simulator delivers everything I would want or need in a flight simulator then I honestly don't see a problem with anyone using the older software if it has something FS does not provide.As an aside, I do not believe it is nit picking FS, I believe many are aware of the problems with the current FS version and FU3 tends to outshine FS in some of those areas despite its age. Hopefully FSX will eliminate the need for many to use older flight sims to enjoy certain elements of flight simming.Ian.

As FS2004 is concerned I've had it since it was released. At times I consider it as my primary flight simulator. FS gives you the world and most addon developers (freeware or payware) focus on FS. However, when I don't want fly-by-wire or overseas flight plans a small region in northwestern US suits me fine. You see, if the flying part is the most important aspect it's hardly nit-picking to point out proper ground handling and realistic winds. Hans Petter

Pete,You have my permission to rant like that as many times as you like :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Ian,By "outer" airports, did you mean "extra" airports ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hans,The only aspect that still bothers me about the ground handling in FU3 is that "sliding left to right" problem that I experience at numerous airports. It's extremely annoying, and I would love to know how to fix it.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Stanner,It's clear that you don't "get" why we prefer using FU3 to MSFS, and that's fine. You see faults in FU3, and we see them in MSFS. I guess it boils down to what really matters to the individual.Having said this, I would love to think that FSX will be the flight simulator that brings Microsoft back onto the highway that they veered off so dramatically when they released that piece of crap called FS5. In my opinion, they have been struggling to make it back to the road ever since.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The outer region airports I believe. There was a list in the readme of outer region airports that needed to be deleted from the airports folder. After deletion, everything works great.ian.

Ian,The airports that you are referring to are the "extra" airports that LGS added to the Seattle region. The airport icons for these are invisible on the Seattle map (unless you add a statement to the flt3.cfg file). However, they still "count" towards the total number of icons in the region (as indeed, do all of the OUTER region airports).Since these "extra" airports are a waste of hard drive space, they can be safely deleted. As a bonus, this reduces the total number of airport icons in the Seattle region, thereby allowing an equivalent number of new airfields to be created.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Where do you experience the "sliding left to right"? I could set up a flight and try it. But then, keep in mind that I use rudder pedals for steering on the ground. (GA aircraft use pedals for turning the nose wheel as well as the rudder). It shouldn't be different from arrow keys in principle but the key tapping will cause one to overshoot and go zig-zagging all the time. The "sliding left to right" might in fact be the propeller torque? If you find the torque to be excessive I believe you can kill or limit it in the menu. If it's torque that bothers you the jet(s) should run a straight line while the propeller aircraft require some rudder deflection to compensate.Hans Petter

Guest CaptRolo

Chris ; I think that you may have a video card or driver problem .you never complained (about sliding L&R) before you upgraded your computerCaptRolo

>It's clear that you don't "get" why we prefer using FU3 to>MSFS, and that's fine. You see faults in FU3, and we see them>in MSFS. I guess it boils down to what really matters to the>individual.>I don't get it either.... :-hah