Sign in to follow this  
Guest Seadog

Anyone use a USB gamepad as a controller?

Guest Seadog

Hello all,I've just had a PM from our newest member - welcome, DiegoVH - who observed my endless quest for setting up my USB joysticks back when I had a virtually non-compliant motherboard chipset.I can't help DiegoVH with his quest to use a USB gamepad as a controller in FU3, because I've never even touched a gamepad in my life. I haven't the slightest clue how to advise him.Has anyone ever successfully used a gamepad as a controller for FU3? I doubt sincerely it makes a difference whether gameport or USB, but this person's is a Belkin USB gamepad.Does anyone have any knowledge whether his quest is futile, that is, doomed from the start?Rather than reply to his PM with a "no knowledge" answer, I thought I'd turn to the community to help our newest member. He clearly has done his research before asking for help. Anyone have any help to give, one way or the other?-Seadog

Guest Flugzeugler

I have a USB gamepad for use with MSFS2002. I'll dig it out and see if it works with FU3.Check back later.

Guest Seadog

Thanks, Flugzeugler. I hope DiegoVH is monitoring this forum thread. I had just responded to his PM noting there had been no response, when I saw yours. I couldn't imagine giving up the accuracy of a yoke and rudder pedals, but I don't have to. This is why ice cream comes in more flavors than just vanilla. Everybody gets to have their fun the way they want to have it. If someone wants to use a gamepad, more power to him. The game doesn't care, and neither do I. I just wish for DiegoVH that he gets the experience he wants with the equipment that he has. Orthodoxy is for religions, not pasttimes. ;-) -Seadog

Guest glidernut

Orthodoxy is for religions, not pasttimes.Ye I second that.glidernut.

Guest Flugzeugler

Just had a spin with the usb gamepad. Works fine!

Guest DiegoVH

- Orthodoxy is for religions, not pasttimes. ;-) (and sometimes even in religion you have to be tolerant with the heathens)I do long for a yoke-and-pedal setup (heck... a full virtual cockpit would only be second to real flight, in my view) and will get it in due time (unless I get a Challenger before and forget all about the computer). For now, as with the real plane, it's an investment I have to postpone, and be as happy as I can using what I have (a crappy 2-button, 2-axis joystick and a 10-button gamepad with 2 analog sticks) in the meantime. The joystick works with FU3 on the gameport with no trouble, and after some remapping to keys, the gamepad buttons now control all the functions I like having handy (throttle, flaps, elevator trim, view change et al.), but the game just doesn't seem to be able to take the USB analog input and use it for x-y axis. MS-FS9 has no trouble working with it, so I know the gamepad kinda works... Flugzeugler, did you have to tinker with anything before it worked, or was it one of those rare instances when plug-and-play REALLY works? Thanks for the responses, guys, and thanks for opening the thread, Seadog.