Sign in to follow this  
Roger Over

FU models

Hi folks,Sure is quiet out there on this forum at the moment. Maybe everyone has gone out to try and get a copy of $$FX? :-roll On a more serious note, can anyone give me some pointers on where to get info on building 3D models for the FU world? Are there any tutorials? I can't find anything on building a new model from scratch.Thanks in advance...Roger Over

Yes, it certainly is quiet around here. I keep checking the forum every day, but all I see are ghosts of flightsims from the past :-eekUnfortunately, I don't know how to build models in the FU world. I know one or two guys that do, but one has been AWOL for two months now, and another is very busy with work. There are certainly others, and hopefully some of them will respond on this thread.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Roger,What kind of models ? If static models as buildings, trees, ships, cars and planes (static only) then look atHow To Make Objects (2002) Robert Driscoll for flyable models look for the tools in the advanced library listing part TOOLS FOR FLYABLE PLANESthere is no step by step tutorial for that so ask again for details.(one of my projects is a flyable Hawker Hunter)You will need GMax and/or Anim8or and Gideon's tools :-wave agtim

Thanks Chris and Andre,I thought Rob Driscoll would have something on making models, but for the life of me I couldn't find it....:-hmmm So that link has given me a start at least.I'm wanting to make a couple of simple static models for the "Oz" region just to try something out.Cheers,Bruce H

Guest glidernut

Hear is a genaral over vew glidernut.

The "Oz" region ? Should we be thinking "down under", or "yellow brick road" ? :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, it's supposed to be the "down under" version, but it could well become the end of the road.I've been hacking away at this thing for some time now with a lot of help from a very patient Andre, whom I am convinced never sleeps..The cycle goes like this: I get so far, decide it could be better, scrub it, then start again. But, slowly improving I think. Maybe one day I will post a few shots and folks can let me know if it is worth persisting with...Would be nice to fly under the Sydney Harbour Bridge though, wouldn't it?Thanks for the .jpg Glidernut. I will have a close look at it shortly. BTW, I really enjoy your input on the forum.Bruce H

Hi Glidernut, nice workflow :-)I need an airbrake for the Hunter, but is there one inside the Learjet model ?here a flight with the patrol - rather tricky to hold distancehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/152802.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/152803.jpgmodel is unfinished, has no moving parts and are unstable - there is a lot to do :-) :-wave agtim

Thanks to Robert Driscoll I can create simple buildings and modify existing ones through the "e-file approach". Basically, you set up the coordinates of the structure in a text editor (notepad) and define the texture mapping. The text file can then be converted to an FU3 model (*.bin) and a GIF image can be converted to the model's texture (*.mip). With ModelView you can check and verify a model-in-progress.To be fair, all I've done is to modify the proportions of existing models / model templates and to create textures for more advanced models. I've got quite a few new buildings ready for upload and it would be nice if someone else wanted to join in and give this a try. Bottom line, static models are quite simple, especially if you start out with a template. The complicated ones with lots of surfaces and moving parts we leave to the pros :-)Hans Petter

Thanks Hans,I've been having a read through all the suggestions so far, and it looks like a wet weekend job to come to grips with the basics even. Maybe I should start with a static broomstick model, then see if I can get it to fly :-hah Does anyone know how the lighting works for models? What is the format of the lights.txt file?The cockpit of that Hawker looks terrific Andre. Lots of work there I'm sure...Cheers,Bruce H

There is a tool from Tommy Letho for thisLook at Robert's FIXMIP on how to create lights :-wave agtim

Tomi Lehto's page is no more online but I can provide a copy of it on request.It's a good starting tutorial with the description of the Light definition file format and moreit was used 1998 for FU2 :-wave agtim

Guest effyouthree

Bruce,Sorry, I've been away for a while. What is it you want to do with models? I've done a ;-)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/155192.jpgI'd start with Anim8or, but I can help you with anything else you need. Just think 'low poly count, 256 x 256, 8-bit textures'. You can have night lighting as well as ome individual lights:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/155193.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/155194.jpgGot a specific project in mind? A whole region might be hard unless we can 'borrow' some models... Still sounds like an excellent idea though ;-)Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Do you have screenshots of any other new bridge models, Jon ? ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Nothing . I kinda stalled on this...If there was ONE bridge that would make a big difference, which one would it be?:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"