Sign in to follow this  
Roger Over

FU models

Guest R_Driscoll

1.Sydney Harbour! - I would put that one anywhere.2.The twin bridges near Cardiff would be nice - across the Severn. They are very elegant. I was hoping to make this myself sometime but it would be a massive project. Also there is a data anomaly near the bridges that makes a big ridge of river stick up into the sky (in my version).3.The first iron bridge - the one that we talked about earlier, I forget who made it and I think its near Bristol. Not Brunel ...Robd323.

Hi Jon,Good to see you back.. I've kept a bit of a low profile here, but have been watching the forum for quite a while, and have to confess to enjoying the banter as well as the work that gets done :-) Another confession....For the last don't know how long I have been working (with an incredible amount of help from Andre) on an Australian scenery set, covering the area from Maroochydore to about Wollongong, and inland about 600km (Moree?). As far as I can find there is no suitable imaging available in 4m/pixel (at least not what I can afford), so I have opted for a 25M/pixel image. But it doesn't look too bad (from 12000 ft ;-) ). Around as many airports as possible there will be hi-res scenery where available.At the moment I have from Gold Coast to south of Coffs Harbour and inland to Tamworth complete with elevation. No AI, ATC, models, lighting etc. Most airports (about 15) are flattened with at least one runway in place, but again no model, so what you see from the image is what you got. FU isn't real comfortable with south/east hemisphere, so one has to put up with a few shortcomings. But it is doesn't look too bad IMHO.I will post some shots in the next week or two, and folks can decide if it is worth continuing with. If the project does continue I'm going to need help in lots of areas. Just getting the scenery in place is turning out to be a much bigger job than I thought. Mind you, the project has also grown in size from the few hundred sq kilometers I planned to start with.Which brings me back to models.... How about a Sydney Harbour bridge (<200 polys pls :-doh ) and an Opera house for starters? But perhaps if I end up doing them I should start with a lampstand....., although having had a bit of a look at the modelling side, I'm not too sure I got what it takes..CheersBruce H

Guest effyouthree

Bruce,Sounds great, actually! My favourite area in MSFS ( :-badteeth ) is north of Sydney to just past Coffs, and west to the plains (I come from Scone originally). In fact, after looking at various online map servers, I WAS going to offer to do a hi-rez terrain for the Northern Beaches but I haven't bothered doing anything in MSFS yet, apart from look at the scenery (some unkind - but probably correct - people will say that's all it's good for...).As to AI and ATC, we can do anything we want there, but you may still have American voices. We need to discuss with Andre how we'd go about night lighting too, as UKS could also do with it. In 'normal' FU3 regions, they are simply 'overlays' that sit on the surface.Back to modelling, the SHB will be a little bigger than 200 polys (if I do it...). It can't be done like Carquinez, as it has an 'inside'. This means that the external supports must be modelled (i.e. not just a texture set, like Carquinez). My guess is 400-500 polys. I did a Golden Gate like this but it was about 2400 polys all up (but split into 3 separate parts as you cannot place a single model there, due to megatile junctions). I never posted it because it must be 'adjusted' by the installer :-(If you do decide to continue with this, I can do some custom models ;-)Personally, as a GA simulator, I'd be happy to lose Sydney altogether and just concentrate on regional strips. I'm not saying 'don't do Sydney', just that I wouldn't bother much with complex scenery and just have YSSY and YSBK as 'placeholder' airports for the AI traffic.You can contact me at:jonathanpointgmailcom:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Jon,I would personally like to see the new Dumbarton bridge, and also the two Benicia-Martinez bridges (road and rail) near Buchanan Field.OK, that isn't one bridge, but I'm greedy :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Jon,Thanks for the encouragement for the project :-jumpy Now to make it work..I agree with you about the regional focus rather than a city-centred one. I would prefer to see reasonably detailed airport surrounds across the region than to have a few beautifully rendered landmarks. The Sydney and Brisbane major airports probably should be well done, especially if the AI and ATC can be made to perform (albeit with a US accent). I know that not a lot of GA traffic use Sydney, but it is the busiest airport in the country.I did have a play with the ATC but lost the plot when trying to swap some sound files. Oh well, back to the drawing board on that one.:-hmmm I started this thread originally because I wanted to get an obstacle warning beacon to place around some regional airfields. Basically a pole about 3 metres high with about a 1 second pulsing red light. That seems to be the standard around these parts (Northern Rivers), and I guess would be used throughout the region generally. Wouldn't happen to have one in Seattle colors on your top shelf would you?Bruce H

Guest effyouthree

Bruce,Clearance lights? Maaaaate ;-)I originally uploaded these in October '02 :-eekhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/155581.jpgAnd again in April 2003:http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=29304Look for all my model uploads in the library and grab the lot! There is a lot of duplication but that's OK - load the newer ones last ;-)The closest I have to what you want is actually 6m high but if you really want a 3m one, that's easy. Please find a zipfile attached here somewhere :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"