Sign in to follow this  
Guest sixstringboy

Will I have any problems

Guest sixstringboy

Hi all.I've become tired of trying to get FS9 to run smoothly (was I naive to expect smoothness) on my system:AMD 64 3200+512MB RAMGeForce 6200TC PCI-E40GB HDDOn board AC97 sound19" LCD monitorSo I thought I would try FU3 as I believe it's on budget re-release now.I was flying it about 5 or 6 years ago (along with FS2K), but my system the was a bit slow (I eventually gave all my sims to a charity shop).My main concern is my monitor which is optimized for 1280x1024 resolution. I remember reading something in the Fly! forums about panels not displaying properly due to the 'odd' screen ratio.Would FU3 have this problem?Matt

The maximum resolution in FU3 is 1024 by 768. This isn't a problem. I have a TFT monitor with a native resolution of 1280 by 1024, but FU3 automatically switches to 1024 by 768, and it looks great.Well, it does if you make sure to activate FSAA and anisotropic filtering, and then install one or two upgrades ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest sixstringboy

>The maximum resolution in FU3 is 1024 by 768. This isn't a>problem. I have a TFT monitor with a native resolution of 1280>by 1024, but FU3 automatically switches to 1024 by 768, and it>looks great.>>Well, it does if you make sure to activate FSAA and>anisotropic filtering, and then install one or two upgrades>;-)>>>Chris Low.>Thanks for that Chris.Got FU3 today and gave it a go. Not bad, but my GPU is a bit on the weak side for FSAA. I'll have a good nose around for tips.

I am not sure how the GeForce 6200 compares to a Radeon 9800 Pro, but my CPU is identical to yours, and I have 1GB DDR400 RAM. Framerates CAN suffer in bad weather with FSAA and anisotropic filtering on, but I don't have any problems at all with clear skies.In my opinion, those two graphical techniques make a MASSIVE difference to the quality of the graphics in FU3. In fact, if they didn't exist, it's quite possible that I wouldn't be using it !Chris Low.PS. If anyone's interested, GT Legends is the best racing game that I have ever played. It does have the dreaded Starforce security, but it doesn't seem to cause me any problems. Anyway, the game is AWESOME !

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest sixstringboy

>I am not sure how the GeForce 6200 compares to a Radeon 9800>Pro, but my CPU is identical to yours, and I have 1GB DDR400>RAM. Framerates CAN suffer in bad weather with FSAA and>anisotropic filtering on, but I don't have any problems at all>with clear skies.My 6200TC is a budget card (TC=Turbo Cache=takes 128MB of system RAM).I've just moved up to 1.5GB RAM, so I'll see if that helps things in general (it didn't help FS9 too much). The new GPU will have to wait until Xmas.>In my opinion, those two graphical techniques make a MASSIVE>difference to the quality of the graphics in FU3. In fact, if>they didn't exist, it's quite possible that I wouldn't be>using it !No amount of AA will make the clouds look better...pity really.Matt

Yes, it's a shame that the clouds haven't been upgraded. I was hoping that some talented FU3 user would have been able to do this, but I doubt that it will happen now :-(Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest VFR_Steve

>Yes, it's a shame that the clouds haven't been upgraded. I>was hoping that some talented FU3 user would have been able to>do this, but I doubt that it will happen now :-(>>>Chris Low.>That is more than a great shame.. because even with the advent of FSX, FU3 STILL leads in the weather department.. nothing can touch it!!

Guest juvat2

Clouds:There was some work being done a long while ago. Here's a link. cornclose/chris e.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchIn mean while, folks can adjust their wisp settings in flt3 cfg. Not much good for far away visuals; but when flying into the clouds it a great improvement.6200 card + other upgrades:I "moved-up" from v5-5500agp to a bfg6200256-oc. I have seen negligible improvement in frame rates. Did things like shutdown background processes(eg, nortons), did John L's start high bat file trick, scan, defrag, un-install Flt3, install to different hd. Only thing seeming to help is dial back detail with-in Flt3, turn off aa and anisotropic, set pc to 1024x768x16. If Flt3 were the only measuring stick, I've wasted good cash on upgrading my pc. Even overclocked my gpu from factory bfg oc 375core clock/400memory clock out of box; to 416/489. Set pagefile to "D" drive, os is on "C", Flt3 on "E".So, I've upgraded my:-gpu from a v5-500agp 166mhz core clock/32x2(64) memory to Bfg6200/256-OC(current driver 9131), -new mobo(msi k8tneo-5)(2 old ones: Asus a7v233 and Aopen AK73Pro-A),-1.5 ddr400 ram(old: pc133 sdram), -amd64 3000+(2gig) cpu(old: Amd palomino 1.44),-Antec TruePower 2.0/430watt ps. -win98se to WinXp-pro.(not an upgrade in my thinking; just a neccessity for other games, and the bfg card). After all this, I have gained approx 1 to 2 fps and lines in the cockpit(to lazy to correct with cp designer). :( :-lol And still Flt1/2/3 is my favorite ga flt sim. :-) You all take care,JimB :-wave "where's your parrot?"