Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

FPS reporting.....

Max....I still do not get his point....! Besides my system specs are variable...who know what WinMe will boot up like today!!!!RegardsTony Ascaso, RN

I kinda like to know if a particular add-on causes a big frame hit on some systems, even if it not a clone of mine. It may not be a bench mark but it does throw a flag when some of us are not running state of the art (or state of the wallet) system.But that is just my own way of looking at it.Actually, just to add fuel to the discussion, when does the eye precive "jerkiness" in FPS? I want to say it was in the mid 30FPS if I recall mt training days in glass flight decks, but it was not testable material so I don't recall the number.Timothy

To my eyes Frame rates over 15/20 are VERY noticable.While these FPS may be acceptable when you look out the front window in flight, the problems show up when and scenery has to move Across the screen, looking left or right, or Most noticably Taxiing.Try doing tight turns on the ground at 15 FPS, For me the Scenery is stuttering 15 times a second. :)The same turns at 30 FPS are night and day, you now have smooth motion,IF the Graphics Engine can maintain that 30 FPS( this is the hard part to achieve).cheersJohn

Hi Timothy:It's always nice to follow your posts.Your memory serves you well.:) A 30hz rate is the rate to shoot for with glass instruments. Frame rates below this (mainly in the 12-15 range) hit the barfogenic zone. This is where the update is rate too slow for the brain to blend the images. I recall that anything above 45hz is overkill. People mistakenly compare motion picture frame rate (24hz)to computer generated frame rates. The difference is that each frame of a moving scene in a motion picture's film is actually blurred due to the motion captured on film. Generated graphics, on the other hand, are individual perfect frames - no blurred motion. Interestingly enough, digital movie makers (ie Pixar) intentionally insert blur into their fast motion scenes to mimic this effect. Perhaps one day the simulator world will catch up - of course we will need SGI equipment as desktops. :)EDIT: PS Timothy: Thanks for the welcome back in another post.

I run an older version of fsim 'cause i prefer my fps in the thousands...(and that's WITH WinME!!)

Ok Kathy, so I remembered the number, but forgot the unit of measure....kinda like refueling in Canada (chuckle). I recall the dicussion on CGI in the movies and blurred images-or was Jar Jar Binks supposed to be serious character.Off to rebuild my June schedule now that the t-storms shredded my duty-time.Timothy(aka the Crew Scheduler's worst nightmare)

It still doesn't alter the fact that 20 fps is perfectly fine for ANYONE in a flight simulator.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Max Cowgill

>It still doesn't alter the fact that 20 fps is perfectly >fine for ANYONE in a flight simulator. Please don't make absolute statements (i.e. "always" or "never") without proper modifiers/qualifying statements to support them(see *'d statements below), they're rarely ever correct. I can think of plenty of flight sims that do not provide adequate visual feedback to simulate smooth motion at 20fps. Just because FS2k2 does, doesn't mean every flight sim does. FS2k2 is a different beast than *virtually* all other flight sims on the planet. No other flight sim has a game engine *exactly* like FS2k2 *(it is a proprietary product, after all)* so no other flight sim will perform *exactly* the same. Case-in-point, ever fly a combat sim? Multiple-G manuevers @ 20fps are *rarely* fluid, *unless it's a constant 20fps w/no disk subsystem accessing occuring and said game's engine is built to simulate fluid motion at such fps*... I've already explained why FS2k2 displays fluid motion @ 16-20fps (or higher) several times in the past, and it gets my goat whenever someone comes along and makes a statement like "the human eye can't perceive anything more than 24fps cuz that's what movies are shot at" or a statement such as you've made. /rant-mode offMax Cowgill

Ok Max, just for your pedantic self I will reiterate. 20 frames per second is perfectly flyable for a CIVILIAN flight simulator that doesn't involve aerobatics.Happy now ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png