Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy9164

In Dire Straits with my UKS

Guest andy9164

Hello everyone,Popping my head out of the sand (again) and seeking some help.Firstly, I have been messing with bits and pieces and well, to but it bluntly have messed up. It all started when working on Liverpool and it just got worse from there. I admit I got a little frustrated and may have moved some files into different folders and got myself in a complete mess by mixing work in progress and actual files.Secondly, I have not had the time recently to keep up to date with whats been happening, new scenery, planes etcI would be grateful if anyone has a fairly up to date working copy of UKS that they could copy and send me (I'm in the UK). I will of course pay any expenses in order to get me back somewhere near the current version.I didnt know if there will be a "New Release" with the new scenery elevations and latest models but please can someone help.Many ThanksAndy

Guest andy9164

Did I upset somebody? Lots of reads, no posts :(

Guest effyouthree

Andy,Dunno about everyone else, but I too would like to get my UKS back up to scratch ;-) I think the silence may have something to do with the new elevation, which has caused all packages to have to be reset to the new levels. Hopefully, we'll hear something soon :-roll Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest andy9164

Actually guys and gals, I would like to put this request on hold.I have just downloaded the new elevations which also came with revised packages and I dont think I am too far behind and can do a quick catch up. Part of my problems I think were that my work in progress Liverpool package was clashing with the same airport in the Wales Airfield package, so I stripped it back a bit and now all appears better. (Thanks for the tip Agtim.)Hpefully now I can get cracking again, from the start, but as I have most of the models built hopefully it shouldnt take too long to get a prototype out.Andy

Guest R_Driscoll

Sorry, I haven't been logging on every day. I am currently downloading the new elevation for UKS, which I think is worth waiting for. Then I hope to redo all packages to the new elevation (each model must be reset) and agtim will do his packages. I'm happy to do the non-agtim packages as well, but this will take a few weeks. Then I will release a new model database and the updated packages to the UKS site and out a message here. This depends on being able to get packages onto the FU3_UKS site, but if not, maybe I can work out something through Chris Sorensen's site.If that is too long to wait, Andy, send me your direct contact details and I'll post you a CD of the current version.But I'm looking forward to Liverpool as well! We will then have quite a lot of airports up in the NW area. By the way, do you know who made the Birmingham package? I'm trying to update it but don't weant to go further without the author's consent (so I've just added city models to date) - maybe it was you or Dave?Robert.

Hi Robert,as you can see after the download most airport model are set to the correct level. My package (IOW,Bembridge,Duxford) are corrected. Your package are at the same elevation level or corrected with a global move so you can save time and start from there. Villages outside of the airport area (yellow area) are still floating or sunken into ground.Look at this airport list for details :-wave agtim

Guest andy9164

Rob, Thanks, it is not that desperate so I can wait if a form of update is up and coming. As for the model elevations, I flew from Lydd, Gatwick, London City and all elevations seem to be correct here but I dont know about the rest.Andy

hi Andy,don't forget to fly to Biggin Hill, it's so a nice airport ! :-wave agtim

Guest andy9164

I will try to get there soon. So many new airports and scenery to see and all nicely elevated. Fantastic.Andy

Guest R_Driscoll

Then Andy I'm assuming you're ahead of me and have already installed the new elevation data! I meant to do this on the weekend. Instead I rebuilt my beautiful blue cranes. At LAST! (OK, so cranes aren't beautiful, and I'm showing again my unreasonable and irrational bias towards heavy industrial equipment ...).Cheers all,Robert

Guest andy9164

Rob,Yes I already got the elevation data and installed it. Andre also flattened Liverpool runway, taxiways, parking so its now time to start rebuilding. I have sorted out my Biggin airport so now the only way is up..... well you can come down for landing as well I suppose.Thanks to everyone for all their help, think I am nearly back on track, just got to remember how to use all the model tools now.Andy

Guest R_Driscoll

OK, in two nights I have redone four packages. Including the light Biggin Hill version, Coryton, Birmingham (now finished and moving objects done), and Cardiff. As you can see I'm working alphabetically! Sometimes its quick and easy - 80% of Biggin Hill was already at the correct height. Othertimes its difficult - Birmingham, every model needed moving (approx 700 of them). There are two packages for Birmingham, 'BHX' - the old version, airport only, and Birmingham which has a slightly modified airport and a cityscape (see pics on previous post) - you will need to choose which to install, but the two together clash badly.The improvement from agtim's new elevation data is subtle but very impressive. The area around Biggin Hill is a good example. It now has much more complex hills. The NASA data seems to include some man-made structures (as I mentioned before, the base of the London city centre around Lloyds etc is a bit of a mound, and the Dartford bridge has two raised areas, corresponding to the two pylons! There were some areas that I thought should have been flatter and I wondered if they were aberrations, but when you get close they are always correct - little hills, with clear treelines. And of course Wales is better than ever, even the extra detail around Cardiff city up towards the hills is very beautiful. This is now the third iteration of elevation data, starting with a semi-random interpolation between a few points, an improved version, and now this super-accurate version. Congrats again agtim! Flying UKS is better than ever.The models database for the reset version will be about 96k. We've come a long way since the initial release!Robert.