Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Reworking Biggin's Hill

Guest R_Driscoll

I have spent the weekend reworking Biggin's Hill taxiways etc. This is repeating old work which seems to have got lost - the beacon's file now circulating with agtim's update doesn't seem to have a lot of the older work. I don't know if someone has removed it for some reason, but anyway it was an excuse to redo the old work. Some choices I have made here (and I would enjoy any feedback or comments):Taxiways are numbered correctly: for 03/21 its alpha bravo charlie delta and for 11/29 its hotel juliet lima. Finally there's Link taxiway. I think I had this right initially and don't know why this was all deleted. Taxiway lighting follows exactly (as I can) the actual Bigg lighting from airport diagrams. So you only get blue taxiway edge lighting on "D" taxiway.For now I'm not adding taxiway signs. ATC knows what they are and so they will be correctly called, but the signs don't allow division into D1, D2 etc and clashes with the more accurate runway designation signs. I'll put them back if you like though.I have added ability to cross runways and some AI planes.I have landscaped around the sides of the Hill, but not tried to do the local "villages" at all - the graphics makes it too difficult to correctly locate houses (so I'd have to do generic villages). Mainly this is because of the high scenery contrast and high number of trees in the area.But I did do the telegraph poles on approach (using Jon's model), the trees and the approach lights on poles. And ILS, but for one end only so far. I plan to add the other end (frequency paired) next weekend.One major choice was with the airspace. Because of the centre controller, I have added a higher "C" zone to protect the pilot from Guard calls on approach. This is not realistic - the real airspace (in 2000) was only a 2.5nm circle at low altitude.Also I have modified the terrain near the terminal so that th eplane doesn't tip over on parking.Robert.

Hi Robert,Glad to read this, may be I have used an early preview of Biggin all the time. There was a terminal/hill conflict in the current version. Will try it out as soon you release it :-) :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks agtim, yes I have modified the classification output file from your program just to extend the hill to include the terminal, about a one pixel modification! I also had to modify the Thames river near the Dome because there was a large bump in the water near a landing pontoon - possibly because of the large "wing" structures on that pontoon. I also had to flatten the Dome area a bit to make the Dome sit properly.Agtim - a bit of an emergency here. I've pushed the Fretherne scenery over your models limit. Is it possible to increase the allowed number of models again (you did this once before) for the FledViewer program? Maybe 2000. There is a bit of a slowdown in the graphics, but FU3 still copes well with this many models. And I've replaced my old Dome with a new (completely new!) version which looks a lot better ...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/159553.jpgremembering that the Dome was one of the first four models made, and standards have changed a bit since then.Your new terrain is amazing - try flying around the area just south of Biggin Hill - it is brilliant! Not as spectaculer maybe as Wales but the 3D feel is wonderful with lost of valleys, quarries, steep hills etc. Totally different to the fairly flat feel of the first version.So many thanks for your great efforts here. Isle of Wight is also spectacular.

Thanks for your greath work Robert, I will increase FLEDViewer to 2000 or more and send or post it soon.The new Dome is splendidSome area of the NASA SRTM is not as flat as it has to be, sea shore and lakes are edited and mostly ok but inside urbanisation area they must have included parts of buildings. :-wave agtim