Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pieter

Hornet's nest

Guest Pieter

No not the Hornet ;-). Just would not like to touch a sensitive topic and poke into a hornet's nest, but does anyone have a "good" opinion about the new FSX? Please let's not go too much off-track as it is not the FS forum, but as I know people from this forum never goes over board, I look forward to your, as always, uhh... civilised comments. What I read in the forums yet does not look too good. People talk about a lot of "tweaking" to get reasonable frame rates (for whatever that's worth). However, it appears to me not to be tweaking but rather switching things (the new stuff) off or thus actually disabling what seems to be excitingly new! I stood with the brand new FSX DVD case in my hand today; keeping in mind what I read in most of the forums, read everything on the case (and thinking about the PC I have - still running FU3 as happy as can be) and said to meself: "Why bother!" and put it back on the shelf... :-violinRegardsPieter

Guest Staggerwing

Well, I'll just say that when I bought fU3 when it was released, I had to do a lot of "tweaking" to get it to run well.. and it took some time for hardware to catch up with it so it could be run properly and look it's best.... same as many of the racing sims I have used. (and it still goes on with latest releases)Always a Catch 22 between hardware and software.Sort of like the retail stores bringing out the Winter items when it's still Summer... if they wait, they will be behind and people would still complain that they didn't have coats in time for the cold. (wee bit of a reach, but it's early here) :-)

Guest Allan_D

Pieter.Your welcome to ask this question in our Bush flying unlimted forums.We'll give you some honest answers without creating a war.Most of our members have used all the flight sims.And a few of us are using FSX now, myself included. Have Fun :-vuurAllan BFU Job Manager and Co-Moderatorand PuppyBush Flying Unlimitedhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest twsimfan

Pieter,In 2005 I had 1 hornet nest on the side of my garage and 2 more under the floor. A bunch of people told my of ways I could relocate those varments to a place where they would do no harm. I contacted Broomfield Pest Control and asked them about doing that. They said "Are you nuts? KILL THEM!". So I did.I was in BestBuy late last week and they had 3 or 4 standard editions of FSX and 19 copies of the deluxe edition. But after I left they only had 18 as the 19th is now installed on this system.Stag had it right on the money in his post:"Well, I'll just say that when I bought fU3 when it was released, I had to do a lot of "tweaking" to get it to run well.. and it took some time for hardware to catch up with it so it could be run properly and look it's best."I had timed my purchase of a new system... a P2-500mhz for the scheduled release of FU3. But when FU3 was actually released about 5 months later that system was only able to handle it with a lot of the detail turned down. I am now 2 systems and a couple on significant upgrades on this system past that now.My old ATI 128MB 9800 Pro video card died about a week and a half ago. This turned out to be a good thing. I replaced it with a Nvidia 512MB 7600 GS OC which runs the FSX demo with "sliders right". It also really brings new life to many of my more complex racing sims. But it only runs FSX with some compromising. I'm still working out exactly what tweaking will be required. But I'm having a ball doing it. :)It will be a year or two before I will have the hardware to run FSX full tilt but just as with FU3 when it was new I will get a lot of fun out of the program in the mean time. :)I would advise you to not bother with FSX unless you have at least a 2.66ghz processor (I have a P4-2.8ghz) with probably 50GB of free disk space and 1GB of fast RAM... I have 2GB. Also I think that 256MB of video memory would be a minimum.But if you can meet or exceed those specs you can tweak FSX to give you a lot of fun... I know I'm having fun. ;)PS - FSX is a great flightsim but above and beyond that the "mission system" is worth the price of admission on it's own.

Guest twsimfan

Hi Allan... Good to see you! :-wave

Guest Stearman

>Hi Allan... Good to see you! :-waveGood to see you too, Tom!!

Guest Staggerwing

What the heck is this... old home week ? :-lol

Guest Stearman

Tom, I'll be e-mailing you soon about FSX and a couple other things, if you don't mind... do you still use the same e-mail address?

Guest Staggerwing

>Hi Tom.>I hope things are good with you and your family.>Send me a note sometime at cldawson >at< qcnet.net, I'll write>ya back. Take care>Have Fun :-vuur>Allan Hmmm, now which "Tom" is anyone talking to ? :-lolI'll guess I'm still "Stag" and Wunder is "Tom"...Anyway, good to see everyone again !

Guest twsimfan

Daniel,Sure my e-mail address hasn't changed in at least 4 years... I know you have used it before. I'd be very happy to hear from you and I will do my best to answer any FSX question you may have. I'm for sure not an expert but I'll do my best. :)Allan,Give me 2 or 3 days to get some stuff sorted out here and I'll send you that e-mail. Been a while since we have conversed. ;)To both of you,Right now I'm going to take another try at the "Rome-Naples Airliner Run" mission. I did it this morning and did fine on the takeoff, cruise, & landing but got lost trying to find the gate. :-roll

Guest fu3

What is this? An old folks' meeting?"...but got lost trying to find the gate.":-lol THAT could only be an MSFS problem...I'll get FSX when I have some new hardware - and it's $19.95 in the bargain bin, like FS2004 was 6 months ago ;-)Besides, I'm still running NT2K here - apparently one needs XP to run it :-rollRegards,Jon Point(the 'other' Staggerwing...)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/160169.gif

Guest Pieter

Thanks for the few remarks in here. Glad to see I got the nest buzzing with greetings and at least 'hunts' for old e-mail addresses! ;-)>and it's $19.95 in the bargain binProblem down here in the south of the earth is like: you buy it while it's on the shelf or the last DVD/CD case is gone with the last buyer. Then when it's available on the internet PayPals bargain houses; the final taxes, custom fees and postage make the bargain even more expensive than the original... this is Africa I live in you know :DAnd I think my hardware will just get there, but even FS9 is still not the fastest beast on the hard drive! Nahh, most new stuff is too expensive for me lately, it will always include a new computer :-) Sad thing is that my PC does what it is suppose to do real fast - just MSFSxx is always hampering my enthusiasm.To buy or not to buy, that is always the question.Will now sneak over to the Bush Pilots' nest...Pieter