Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

New scenery

Guest fu3

Bleedin marvellous, Rob - no gaps!Needs more trees though ;-)Regards,Jon Point

Robert - London looks better then ever, nice tower :-) :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks all! You don't want to know this but as usual there are stacks of "compromises" to make it work in my lifetime.1. I plan to add the western gate area later (currently there's a gap there - sorry Jon).2. The walls are made of little bits stuck together with glue.3. Tops of towers have been simplified.4. Battlements (or is it crenel, crenel ... whatever the word is - the tops of walls where the archers shoot from) have been included only in the texture. Otherwise I would need 71284 (random big number) polygons.5. The northern building has simply been duplicated for the eastern row of buildings. Again I can add more detail here in time.6. I put some trees in, trying to gauge their position from photos. Some of the green internal area is not trees but buildings, but still Jon is right - I need to do more for a proper summer look. That's easy. I've used Jon's wintry trees inside, some of my own trees outside and I'll add some more large English trees later to match river-side photos - I have them built and ready.Over the weekend I flew up to Bodmin Moor - just north of Plymouth. The scenery here is distinctively different. Takeoff Plymouth, out the estuary, west along the coast for a while, then back overland towards the moor area, then due north until I hit the coast, landing at Chivenor. I recommend the flight to anyone - great scenery!, and I'm really enjoying the improved terrain. Thanks agtim. I have been flying the Cessna, Vigilant and Jon's Staggerwing, occasionally the improved Beaver or Renegade if water is involved. On Friday I flew from Caernaevon across Wales to Fretherne near Gloucester, probably the most spectacular scenery in the whole UK.Anyway thanks all for the feedback!

Crenel:1. An embrasure or indentation in a battlement; a loophole in a fortress; an indentation; a notch. See {Merlon}, and Illust. of {Battlement}. [1913 Webster] 2: a notch or open space between two merlons in a crenelated battlement [syn: {crenelle}]I think it's a great idea to leave all embasures, crenels and merlons out as the 3D model is concerned and rather create the illusion of notches by including them in the texture :-)Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks Hans! Now I know.As to 3D modelling crenels and merlons, yes, sanity must occasionally prevail! They're meant to be flown over, not lived in! Cheers,Robert.