Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

FU3-UKS update

Hi Steve,Yes your right, the BG link is wrong or the file is not there.Don't know I have the same access to it as you .you will find my page from the AVSIM Link Database - the yellow box at the top.http://www.avsim.com/dcd/Flight_Simulation...rces_and_Sites/Look in a week or two, may be it's the ok and has more links - I hope :-) :-wave agtim

Hi Agtim,Thanks for the advice, herewith the results.My UKS set is 14.4Gb (now 14.5Gb).Reloaded backup and checked - rock solid. I could not make it crash.To cut a long story short (I spent 2 evenings and half a day trying things and eliminating possibilities!), the main problem turned out to be the modelmip.tag file in UK-Southgen folder. My "rock solid" one is 64Mb - the one in the 2006 update is 2.5Mb. Presumably my setup uses a model/models in the big file that are not in the small one.I have now loaded all the rest of the 2006 update, checking that I only loaded new or updated files (with the exception of the modelmip.tag file! I left my 64Mb version in place) and I'm back to stable again.For complete stability I also had to remove the Duxford, Birmingham and BHX packages. Duxford wouldn't load at all and Birmingham froze on me. With them gone as far as I can tell my setup is rock solid again, and I am enjoying it immensely. Mind you, London drags my frame rate down to about 10 - on a 3 year old Athlon XP 3000+ with 1Gb of memory and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with 128Mb memory. Best wishes to all FU3 flyersChes

Hi Ches,glad to hear stability is back. Important changes was the new elevation especialy for the northern region. You can still try to reload Duxford using the Version at AVSIM duxford.zip :-wave agtim

Guest simonjamesturner

Panic over, managed to get the upgrade working with my modified install, but for some reason the Chivinor files I was working on (I live locally) will no longer register. In the lack of a clean install, any ideas why this might be?Any ideas welcome.ThanksSimon

may be you reache the airport limit ? Kill an airport you don't need, one without models, just the locator and try again.What do you mean by not register ? CTD during start or just no airport on the map ? :-wave agtim

Guest fu3

Simon,If you've lost any airports, check (with backups :-roll ) that they aren't part of a package. You can create airports either in FU3 OR in a package folder. I believe that for most users doing their own stuff, it makes sense to attach them to a package, as they're easily removed if anything goes weird.Unfortunately (for major airports), I don't think you can have proper AI at package-based strips. This is more of an issue for UKS than the US as much work in the US is simply upgrading (or removing) existing airports (which are already non-package based). In UKS, we're always creating new airports where none previously existed, and if it's amajor strip, it'll need AI. Maybe we should have a 'rule' that all sporting/club/private strips stay package-based with only the main traffic areas under AI.:-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest simonjamesturner

Um... yes, I can see the sense in what you are saying. Unfortunately I was not using a package, hence I've mucked up my original UKS install. I'm working on the coastline between Bideford and Hartland quay (a regular microlight flight of mine), however I can't get my mods to work since installing the upgrade. I guess what what I should do is back off to an original install, attach my mods to the Chivinor package and then upgrade. Unfortunately I don't have the original install to do that.

did you modify the elevation of the costline or just put model there ?You can put your non working stuff in a zip and send it to me so I can look whats wrong :-wave agtim

Finally found time to download Duxford. Installed it following the instructions in the zip - back to random crashes. I guess I must be missing a model/models required by the package.Just had a brilliant(!) thought. Try using RobD's modelcheck program. So I installed it, initialised it as per the readme file and it did not produce an ini file. Checked Duxford anyway and got "Access violation at address 004048CA in module modelcheck.exe. Read o address 00309575"So copied Rob's ini file - program would not run of course, the directories were wrong. So edited the ini file to give the correct directories, ran it again and got the "access violation" problem again.Am I doing something wrong or is there an updated version of this program?For the time being I have removed Duxford and restored my previous setup. OK again with no ctd's.Ches

Guest R_Driscoll

Sorry to hear about installation problems - I guess this is not an area that FU3 (or me) were very good at, and FU3 was never developed to the level intended where it would be easy to install new versions. Please keep trying! Particular problems are the limits that FU3 imposed at the beginning, such as icon (number of airports) limits. Some general points:- the new version should not be "partially" installed - its all or nothing, because the new packages depend on the new databases.- but if there are CTD's, deleting packages is the most likely was of fixing the problem, due to icon limits.- I will check Duxford etc specifically and report back!! Agtim added dozens of aircraft models there and I will check that I have put them correctly into the database. - In the installation instructions I suggest starting with a clean install of FU3-UKS. But you may have packages from other people (or your own work) in the packages directory already, which might use older versions of the models. They have to be moved out first or they will clash. So after a clean install, DELETE (or MOVE!) all packages and all airports in 'regionsuk-southAIRPORTS'. Unfortunately the installation process is not straighforward, and cannot be made easier (I don't know how to anyway). But the end result does work and is a major improvement. The terrain graphics are absolutely superb compared with the original FU3-UKS version.In time, I would like to be able to post modifications to the packages as simply new package versions plus modified/new models, and for anyone to be able to do the same with their own packages. Simple and easy, now that the models have been brought out of the modelmip.tag database and so are easy to overwrite. Jon is right - we should have done this at the beginning.Appy New Year ALL!Robert.

Guest R_Driscoll

I checked Duxford with modelcheck and it shows no problems. So I think you may not have emptied the correct directories before adding the new stuff - old models clashing or too many old packages.Check again: you should have an empty outerrAIRPORTS, regionsUK-SouthAirports, PACKAGES and regionsUK-SouthGEN folder before putting the new version in.Robert.

Guest Dr Skycat

Hi Steve,I just fired up my old copy of FU3 and want to install the UK scenery. Problem is that all the info I've seen on the forum and web sites is for upgrading from the original working version. I did download all the files from http://lundbykrat.com/FU3/FU3.htm, but don't know how to prepare these for installation. Do you know where I can find instructions for doing the original install? Is there a different site to download the actual folder and files structure which can just be placed inside the FU3 installation, along with any config changes that would need to be made.?Thanks for any info you may have,DS

Guest R_Driscoll

Hello skycat, I've emailed you some details.