Sign in to follow this  
Roger Over

I see the light......s

Guest fu3

Dear All,I've been testing Bruce's new nitemap tool and it's a wee ripper! Now we can remove those pesky lights from most anywhere (and feasibly put some in if we wanted...). It's still in 'beta' so you'll see it soon. Meanwhile, I've removed a heap of stupid lights from Harvey - the rows of lights in the fields used to sorta kill it at night :-erksBefore:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/165546.jpgAfter:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/165547.jpgSo there ya go, huh? Another barrier broken :-jumpyThanks, Bruce :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest R_Driscoll

well that's a massive difference - it looks far more realistic in the second shot. Brilliant work!Robert.

Hi folks,Quick update on LightGen2 for you masses out there who are keen to get your hands on it :-hah (Well, one or two perhaps...)Just doing final testing and documentation on the release version which will:-Extract night masks to tgaExtract l1 day maps to tga (bin only, no cpd yet)Build night masks (Levels 2-7) from tgaAllow switching of lights on/off in the tileindexBatch support for automated building of entire areas/regions from l1 day maps (bin only, sorry about Seattle and Sanfran. cpd may follow if there is a need)Make the coffee and take the dog for a walk.Manual is multi-language. Comes in English (US), English (UK), Oztralian, and Tasmanian just for Robert :-lol You should see it in your favorite downloads section shortly.CheersBruce H

Hi Bruce,This are good news :-)You can forget cpd, there are converter to transform cpd to tga using a batch file. I have a toolkit for this and will upload it soon.There is a new command line version of GenQuadrant to generate bin files from tga in the toolkit.I have converted my Seattle region from cpd to bin and expanded the region to the north with new tiles (must be .bin).Conversion of Seattle from cpd to bin is one large job running about 1 hour, cpd decoding takes time. :-wave agtim

Thanks Andre,Certainly moving to .bin in Seattle and Sanfran will make life a lot easier.I will probably need a way of converting l1*.cpd to .tga, so the day map can be used for lighting where the conversion hasn't happened. What would you recommend for doing the job? I had a look at Sergey's utilities, but you don't seem to get a .tga from them.A batch command line would be fine.CheersBruce H :-wave

Guest R_Driscoll

There's a lot of concepts here I know little about - the level maps etc. I always left that stuff to agtim. Too hard for us simple Tasmanians (by the way, in a dim light and on a dark night, Tasmanian is very close to English, but nothing like Australian or NZ), but for the first time I think I might need to do some reading up on this stuff (using agtim's site of course and your brilliant multi-lingual manual). I still hope to see the lights of Londontown ...Cheers andAvagdweegend,Robert.

Guest fu3

Ah, Rob!My brain is in permanent overload since starting to edit nightlights whilst flattening terrain *:-*The issue we have to get around is figuring out what we can or cannot do about the tile limit for night lighting. We cannot add night lighting to most of UKS because it is outside that limit (AAAA-AZAZ) :-(Besides, I'm still playing with Seattle :-rollRegards,Jon Point

Hi Jon (and interested others :-) )Can I assume that with Seattle you have modified a heap of level 2 night masks, and you have all the other levels switched off?I ask because I am going to have to give you a way of building the other levels without too much hassle.Cheers Bruce H:-bluegrab

Guest fu3

Bruce,Yep, only the L2 (or N2) maps. I leave the others switched off to avoid scaring myself but it gets a bit dark sometimes :-rollOne thing though - whatever method LGS used to create the lower-res maps, they're too bright! Even with the standard N2 naps, they suddenly jump into saturation somewhere (probably around 4 or 5)I don't know if there's any way to 'tune' it but I could try a few methods and report back.Glad to hear that you're still on-track with it ;-)Regards,Jon Point

Thanks Jon,Will see what I can do to ease the transition to all levels for you.Yes, the "bulk" of light is sometimes a bit gross. The only suggestion I have is that less pixels switched "on" in the mask the better. Interesting thing with the AZAZ limit... I think levels 5-7 are displaying OK, only the lower levels are getting screwed up. But don't quote me on that just yet.Cheers,Bruce H------------------

Yeah, too quiet....Where is everyone? Anyhow, for those who celebrate Easter, have a great time.And for those who don't, also have a good time.Cheers,Bruce H

Guest ChrisDS

We're still here :)After fiddeling a bit with FSX and getting really frustrated about all the bugs and shortcommings, I have reverted back to FU3 to get a decent flying expeinence without stutters and blurred scenery.A computer of today

Good on you Chris,Great to see more stuff happening. The old FU3 has still got a few miles left in her yet I reckon.CheersBruce H