Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ogami musashi

A Totaly newbie in FLED

Guest Ogami musashi

Dear members,I'm introducing myself a little bit, i was a regular simmer of FU2 when i was younger and was very interested in FU3 when it was announced.Unfortunately the game wasn't distributed here in france AFAIK and i could not buy it internationnaly at this time.Well now i have it and was very pleased to go again for what made then strenght of the FU series like the very good FMs, highly detailed area and little details that seems not important but are for me like the runways and taxiways that follow the elevation of the terrain or the great ATC...Well i discovered also FLED and here's the purpose of my post.Basically since i flew in simulations i wanted to create an airport with supra long runways (don't know why...) so i tried to do so with fled but well i can't.I followed the steps in the help section.I created a runway with the nodes, connected (not without nerves breakups) to it a parking spot edited it, then made some taxiways.But then...what to do? in the manual it is said that i should add the graphics for the runways, i suppose it is the "place models" but then the runway is not long enough.So i did not plance anything and let the scheme alone (the edges and nodes) but as soon as i "save it" it disapears from the FLED window.And when i launch FU3 using my package is crashes after the loading page(the page where weather, ai and other stuff are initialized).Well i guess i don't do it correctly so i searched the net for simple FLED tutorials but most of the pages are gone now and the one i found are about advanced topics and/or editing existing airports.So my questions are:1/where can i find a simple tutorial just to make a fictionnal airport?2/runway lenght are limited?Thank you very much!

Guest fu3

Hello and welcome ;-)Firstly, for any project, plan. Exactly how long is this required runway? You will need a suitable model for it or you'll never find it!I would recommend clicking on 'objectsplace model' and select something useful. If you know of another airport with a similar length, go to that airport (in FLED) and see what the model name is (by double-clicking on the airstrip) and write it down. Close the airport (don't save) and go to where you want your new strip. Select the model and place it, using the arrow keys to rotate (shift+arrow as well). Then, click on 'bookmarks' and save a bookmark there for future use.Then click save in FLED.Now you create your airport! Once you start putting stuff on the ground, you MUST complete the section before closing FLED. You cannot place a runway, then save and exit! Place one runway. Place one parking spot. Place one taxiway to either end of the strip THEN save! After that, you can open it up and edit it.With FLED, ALWAYS create a new package for each airstrip but do that AFTER you create the airport. You can also create airports after creating a package (i.e. inside the package) but I don't think the AI works :-(There ARE tutorials on airport construction. Look here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...13980&mode=fulland here is a good page for FLED - taught me most all I know about it ;-)http://www.geocities.com/in_04/Otherwise, try, try, try again - that's how most of us worked it out.Oh, and save after nearly EVERY operation.AND, don't drag models around, just place and rotate if possible!Regards,Jon Point

Guest Ogami musashi

Hello, thank you for your advices and links.That's what i was afraid of, i don't have any particular lenght, i just wanted to create a supra long runway (let's say 3 miles) so i don't think there's a model to suit it.I'll check the links thank you!Edit:ah yes i visited thoses links before, but something is not mentionned or i don't understand one thing (should be this one):-what is the correct procedure for airport building?i do "edit airport" then place the edges and nodes.what next? place the 3D models? that's right?thank you

Welcome to the builder groupFLED is tricky and unstable but a wonderfull tool for FU3.I just had a strange behavier of FLED today, I named the modes for my new airport all beginning with TS_xxx0.bin. Result was in FLED a nice normal size and correct placement, but inside FU3 the models shrinks to the half of the size !! After long compare with othe models I found that is was just the name that make this resizing. After renaming to stsxxx0.bin the size was retained in FU3. So caution with the names of the models avoid to start with TS_ :-)Take the first step as Jon has advised, just this steps.later you can reopen and put more lines,taxiway,lights and parking spots.make the runway with 3 miles between the green nodes. Save and close and check with fu3. Start the plane with quick flight at one of the end of the runway and check if it is at the correct spot.I have build some additional help tools for airports and models.AirportEditor.exe, FledViewer.exe, FBookmark.exe, MovObjViewer.exe and BGL2E.exe -> look at AVSIM FU3 library for it.Also look for the model / runway tutorial of Robert DriscollJust remember - editing airports with runways taxiways lines...is one part.placement and building of models is another part,This 2 parts are not linked they are totaly independent. :-wave agtim

Guest CaptRolo

Welcome To FU3You could also lay two models end to end to make a longer runway if ground is flat enough . Mark your ends and name them to represent compass direction.draw a line to connect them ,SAVE Then go back to do a little more ,SAVE -Taxiways must connect to runway ends .these lines will disssapear in run mode . You have to make taxi/runway edge lines seperate .Must test ann pass .A little vauge but hope this helps.CaptRolo

Guest fu3

Good idea Captain!I'll go one step further; give me the length, width and numbers and I'll make one for you!Easy as that ;-)Regards,Jon Point

"With FLED, ALWAYS create a new package for each airstrip but do that AFTER you create the airport."Why would you want to do that, Jon ? All of my additional airfields were done by creating and opening a new package first, and then building the airport from inside it.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Airports and sceneries can be made independently IMO. You can freely move airport folder between main airpots folder and package/airports folder when the airport is done.It's good idea to create each area in separate package because it's easy to remove it in the future.It' bad idea to create different packages in the same area because you can set two models in the same place. It's immposible to open 2 packages at once so you can see the models set only in 1 package.B.Adamski

Bogdan,I understand what you mean, but I personally feel that an airport without scenery objects (hangars, taxiway signs, runway models etc) is rather pointless. Therefore, I can't see why anyone would want them to be separate entities.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest CaptRolo

I see it this way,Make an aiport with basics. I'ts then in with FU3 other ones .Then you make a package to put in cars ,trucks, Other buildings ,A highway to the city ,houses, boats and anything else .then other Fu3 owners can use a package or make their own ,without disturbing runway abd taxi lines.CaptRolo

Guest fu3

I'm with Bogdan and The Captain here...I tend to consider my airport edits to be fairly permanent (to avoid frequency hassles) and my packages to be fairly 'disposable' :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest R_Driscoll

Hi all, just back from holidays.To agtim, the prefix "ts_" is used for taxiway sign models. In default FU3, these are made large to make them more visible during taxiing, but can be rescaled to a more realistic size There is a line in your flt3.cfg to do this (I use a value 0.3):;--For proper size taxi-signssign_scale .3If you have a line like this in your config file, then I suspect all models starting with ts_ are being rescaled by this command. I think the hardwired special beahviour of many models is set up in this way, eg "ws_" for windsocks, "tw_" for towers. I went to London. Good to see most of the buildings were in the right places,Robert.

Hi Robert,Thanks for the hint.Inside FLED selection list I found my models between taxi sign and so I tried a rename :-) this are the results http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/STST.JPGhttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/STSTMIR.JPGhttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/ststN.jpghttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/STSTMOON.JPGI don't have this line in my config file, think default is 0.5Will go to London later this year also. :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Agtim, that is so amazing. From this distance it looks like a finished product, and maybe the best region so far developed. No I shouldn't say that, everyone has their favourite region, usually the one they've just worked on! San Fran is great for the its colour and the faultline and bay etc, Seattle for its spectacular mountains, England for its flatness and rainy skies and amazing cricketing skills, but Switzerland has the mountains, the models and Federer. And chocolate. Unbeatable I think. Come on, what's the release date (no pressure)?Cheers,Robert.

Hi Robert,Switzerland is going on, but still 20% CTDs on start to fly :-(Have found the guilty airport and have to replace it.CTDs are still here but the Engtrans.dll errors are gone.AI planes are not following the defined legs and goes too often inside of the mountains. AI planes does not land at the destination and large airports like Zurich, Geneva and Basel are unfinished.The pictures in this tread are from the airbase of St.Stephan - currently one of the nicest airport scenery of the game. It has been developed by Johan "Bigfoot" van de Peppel und Designer Pete for FS9. It was converted in 3 evenings using BGL2E for all models without problems and I got permission to free distribution for fu3.The former airbase St.Stephan is now a privat airport and the location of the private Swiss Hunter flying club. The hangar and tower are built inside the mountain. Currently I analyze the original LG AI Legs of San Francisco but now I have discovered that AI planes does not land (Mooney, Trainer, Windhawk)and goes trough mountains also (from half to sfo) :-( There is still a lot to do :-) http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/164835.jpg :-wave agtim