Sign in to follow this  
Guest fu3

New Seattle terrain users

Guest fu3

Hi All,I was wondering how many people had tried flattening airport areas in the new Seattle terrain? According to the Avsim library, 77 keen folk have downloaded Agtim's new Seattle terrain. That means that 76 others downloaded it and I'd bet that some of you may have tried it out and one or two may have tried flattening airports. Judging by the overwhelming (cough, cough) response to my previous postings, nobody's doing it. Maybe I'm wrong, or I'm the ONLY person out there enjoying the new terrain :-rollhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/164554.jpgSo far, I've done some areas and added 2 new destinations* (if you're not afraid of water...):Easton StateKachess LakeForest Falls (Spada Lake)Bandera StateSkykomishRanger CreekBergsethSwansonLewis CreekChester morse lake*HarveyBig Grieder Lake (shown above)*If anyone would like to add to this list, all I need is your modified cl****.tif file with the yellow area - but please test it first! As you can see, I've started in the east and haven't done any of the larger airports yet (I assume they would be quicker and easier than mountain lakes anyway), hoping that someone might do them. I have also reset the heights of all original FU3 models and those included in Chris Low's "Seattle 2005" package sets, for the areas listed above. If you are doing an area, don't forget to do likewise for the area you are working in ;-) With package models, you only have to wiggle a few and everything drops into place but with LGS-placed models, you must jiggle (or delete) every single one :-(The original model placements CAN be exported by copying the "m0****.mod" (e.g. m0afaf.mod) files from the seattlemodels folder. Note that one .mod file may cover more than one airport area, so it's good to do all the 'afaf' airports (one after the other), then move all the models in the 'afaf' modfile. I didn't do this at first, so now I have some holes. Fortunately, there are few LGS models, apart from cities and large airports.Maybe I'm just dreaming...Anyway, I would appreciate any input on this as I want to do some night lighting work too (and a new plane, some models etc, etc).:-wave Regards,Jon Point

I'm among those enjoying the terrain but I haven't done any flattening. Several airports work fine without any flattening. I guess I should contribute by flattening some of those that don't work but I've been slightly challenged timewise lately.Actually, I haven't "flown" anything but your latest aircraft for a couple of days. The float version is a good choice as long as my Seattle region suffers from bumpy runways but the wheel version does fine at several locations too.Hans Petter

Guest fu3

H-P,Good to hear from you. Thanks for the email about the cockpit image issue, I'll attend to it tonight. If you know of usable airports 'as-is', please let me know which ones. All of the ones I've played with were pretty wild (read: deadly) before flattening. In fact, one cannot simply land on any flat-looking piece of ground any more without excitement ;-)At least if there are airports that require no work, I/we can concentrate on the ones that do!:-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest R_Driscoll

I remember that Sky Harbour was pretty deadly even before the terrain modifications - there was a savage corkscrew effect that threw you into the trees on the side, and takeoff was always hit/miss with me.I'm still using the beta version of your plane - haven't had time to download yet. Robert.

Hi Jon,Actually I started working on the elevation of tile AEAH around Everett, Paine Field, Martha Lake. The motivation is a new book of the full story of the ME-262 rebuilt and tests including a DVD with in flight videos from the cockpit - enven during the crash landing.Great pictures and videos but bad for the most of you - it's totaly in german. ISBN 10: 3-9807-9357-5 ISBN 13: 978-3-9807-9357-5Projekt 262 Tagebuch des TestpilotenIt's writen by Wolfgang Czaia the test pilot of the project.As the title indicate, it the log of the test pilot. I try to localize the hangar at Paine Field to place the ME-262 models. There must be much more trees along runway 34 also and from more nordic types. :-wave agtim

Guest fu3

Agtim,That's OK - I'm nowhere near there yet ;-)I saw a show on the History Channel before Christmas on the 262's predecessor, the He178. Actually it covered the He176 through to He178 and was very interesting, considering it WAS produced for TV. Of course, with many ground-breaking technologies, the RLM didn't see the value in it and Heinkel diverted their attention to the He280 - later shelved when the RLM chose the Me262 in 1944. I have some more 'nordic type' trees if you want to try them - I've used them in my new cascades packages. I know that I did 54 trees all those years ago (and altered the inbuilt trees as well) but the truth is, the Cascades are all about conifers and little else, so I thought I'd try some different ones. Look for my shots near Grieder Lake - the texture is a bit more 'open' than previous ones and they're all 20-30m high. I think my ntree1-5 look a bit 'hairy' by comparison.Unfortunately, we cannot alter the binfile of the standard ntrees, because Seattle just needs 3 types, with 2 of them in super-size. I'll email the trees to you later today.:-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest fu3

Andre,"That's OK - I'm nowhere near there yet" Actually, I've done the one next door when I did Harvey. Would you like the N2 map for that one as well? Actually, I'd best send you the elevation file too!And the (unfinished) package...PS I've removed the rest of the stupid lights from the N2 map for Paine, now you've seen the light - or lack of it :-roll I also realise that we need some way of regenerating the other levels at some stage - I run mine with them all turned off!:-waveRegards,Jon Point