Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Thruxton

Guest R_Driscoll

One of the recent emails was about Thruxton airport (from giklesrdturner, Giles). Over the weekend I tried to put together a rough package for this, based on (rather limited) information on the web.So far:Made and added asphalt and grass runways, added trees.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/165182.jpgAdded ramp and some hangars (thanks agtim, Jon).http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/165183.jpgMade distinctive semi-circle hangars.Made and added control tower.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/165184.jpgAdded Thruxton racing circuit/taxiways (using existing bits - I'll redo this as custom if enough interest).http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/165185.jpgLocal tourist trap:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/165186.jpgI can't do much more on this unless I can get some good photos of the airport. Boscombe Down, an airport nearby, was developed very roughly for FU3 a long time ago, a few sheds, a basic airport layout. This is the first time I've looked at Thruxton.Robert.

Hi Robert,Looks good :-)did you see there is a lot of water on the runway (on ther original) :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Yes, I forgot to say that I reclassified the whole area anyway to remove water. I couldn't see any local dams or lakes, so simply removed the blue areas.Just checking agtim, if I have multiple airports in one area, how do I do each airport at its correct height? I think its like this:Generate classification TGA map.Loop for each airport: Classify airport in yellow. Read in new classification, set airport height. Remove airport classification from TGA map. Goto loop until finished.Does this work?I think Dave Reece did the initial airport layout (taxiways, centrelines etc). Robert.

Guest R_Driscoll

By the way, I haven't activated the control tower yet. This looks difficult. The ATZ for Thruxton is 2nm by 2000ft centred around the 07/25 runway, but the approach path takes you into the flight path of Boscombe Downs, and also into a MATZ (military), meaning that you have to contact Boscombe Downs first, then call up a different frequency on finals. I have some work to do to try and make this correct in FU3, but its not as simple as designating CT frequencies! Also I've got to fix up the traffic pattern directions and a few details before its operational.I couldn't find info on lighting, not even PL, so I think its a day-only operation. But there is an airport beacon, offset from the control tower. I did one of these for Biggin Hill, but I've forgotten how, so I'll have to go back and look at my notes.'Scuse the rambling, just want to get it as close as possible.

Hi Robert,Yes it's about like thatLoop for each airport:Classify airport in yellow.Read in new classification, set airport height. export classification map -> the yellow area becomes red ! you can save the elevation map also, if second airport is bad, as backupGoto loop until finished.then to eliminate virtual holes and pitsexport the elevation mapreimport the elevation mapduring changes by yellow area classification just level 5 is modified and loose synchronisation to level 2 and 0 resulting in bad holes and pits. :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks, I didn't know about the pits, but that explains what I've seen - a rather large pit near the hangars on the east side. Do I have to DO anything after exporting the elevation map, or does your clever program just fix itself?Great success last night - I managed to locate the Roman ruins on takeoff from old sarum, and then Salisbury Cathedral. And built more realistic grandstands for Thruxton, repositioned the PAPI correclty and added end-lighting (that's on the airport diagram), still haven't tackled the big problems of ATC for Thruxton. Trees, one little vilage to north (I want to keep framerates high here and there's a lot of airports close to each other). I should have been getting some stuff together for Hans Petter, but I forgot - sorry Hans, try again tonight! And I've downloaded my old Forest Falls and will try to do some repair work on that in the next week at Jon's request. This is great - lots of interesting little projects. Which reminds me, does anyone know anything about oil rigs? I know we (agtim I think) built one for the Farallon Islands package, but I don't think it was textured, but it would have been in the right colours for UKS.Robert.

Hi Robert,Just export the elevation and as next import it that's all :-) :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Done and it worked! - thanks agtim. All smooth again.Now working on sarum. But i haven't heard from the guy whoasked about these two airfields. I emailed him ...End of last week, I made Salisbury Cathedral. I think I could have a go at Westminster now, except that the flying butresses are very difficult (Salisbury has a few but I just ignored them). But its very distinctive - dominates the whole valley and is a great navigation aid (is that why they put the spire so high?).Robert.

Guest gilesrdturner

Hello allSo sorry for the lack of contact. My company sent me to Kobe at very short notice to firefight a press manufacture and shipment to our factory in China. I'm amazed at the work you've accomplished on Thruxton. I shall be resuming my PPL (JAR) there next month. Sorry for not returning your Email, it's completely my fault, in the rush to leave I forgot to setup the mail forwarding correctly. Anyway I'm looking forward to being able to use FU III to practice on. Did you come across any way of loading just a small reagion of SE England or do I need the whole install. (Although I did bring back a very large HD from Japan, so I guess I could do a full install if someone would be good enough to tell me how to get hold of the files)I have now setup the Email account correctly (grdturner@tiscali.co.uk) so there shouldn't be any more problems. Look forward to hearing from the forumAll the bestGiles

Guest R_Driscoll

Good to hear from you! Just send me an email on R.Driscoll@unsw.edu.au, and I'll reply giving details.Robert.