Sign in to follow this  
agtim

Up up to new horizons...

Guest fu3

Andre,So this is where you've been - up North ;)Looks fantastic. Have you used the new elevation data or does it use existing (OT) terrain?Is this hard to add-on or is it an extension of the existing region tileset and region.cfg file?Sorry for all the questions but I'm on the edge of my seat! What with Bruce's efforts recently, we can automate the night lighting process from day maps - but there seems to be issues with a limit on tile names. I realise that extending Seattle West is basically impossible without creating a new (small) region - that might not be too bad for us GA folks, but I suppose a lot of people want contiguous ATC, even if we don't have it with Sanfran :-rollAnyway, it looks great and I can't wait to get it! How far North have you gone?:-waveRegards,Jon Point

Good news agtim !Do you plan to expand SFO region ?B.Adamski

Hi allRecently I discovered a small new image track from Coupeville to the north near to Vancouvert. This is just a feasibility test with 2 tiles. Texture is not sharp enough, but with more time and patience it can be done near to UKS quality.To expand Seattle or San Francisco bay area we must first convert the region from compressed .cpd tiles to uncompressed .bin as used for UK and Switzerland...Now I have a tool kit that can do the job in about 1 hour, depending on the computer power.Jon, I hope the beta version was working for you :-)I will upload the tool kit to the library soon. First steps are converting all cpd files in Targa maps using Sergey's utilities and my new utility raw2tga.second step may be after some repaints generating all level 0 to 4 .bin files - not with GenQuadrant (too slow and too complicate for most users) but with a new command line version of it GenBinTile.You need about 5Gigabytes workspace todo it by executing 11 batch files. The last step is the final generation with Level57Maker and 3 changes inside region.cfgThe elevation is generated from the new NASA SRTM_V2.After conversion you can add 4 rows of tiles to the north and to the east (that are a total of 96 new tiles !!). After this steps you can add tiles step by step and just have to rerun Level57maker after updates.To create expansion to the west and south we must reset and rename the full region. This means:1. defining a new base point for aaaa2. renaming all maps3. renaming all geos4. moving all airports (with AirportEditor)5. moving all models defined in the .mod files (with FledViewer)6. moving all moving objects (with MovObjViewer)7. generating new navigation maps.so you see a lot of work, but feasible.I do not plan to do any expansion but just the tools, advice and help for builders and be warned there are still missing pictures to fill the desired area. :-wave agtim

I was thinking, if it would work, if we only rename maps and .mod files from aaaa to bbbb. In that way we could move the (0,0) point and it would be possible to expand the region not only north and east, but west and south too.Now I see, it's more complicated.B.Adamski

renaming to bbbb is bad for the night maps.Night lighting is working in the range aaaa to azaz only :-(But a move to the west with about 10 tiles will work. :-wave agtim

Guest fu3

Andre,THAT would give us the lovely coastline ;)Regards,Jon Point

There are 26 letters and 1 megatile is 16.192 km, so 26*16.192 =421 km only for 1 region. How big is the UK region ?

Hello.If someone have the interest ,and is able to continue the high resolution area, both in the "sanfran" or "Seattle" area, that would be very good.I can not do any support work of this myself, but I still use the FU3simulator a lot, and it is a work of art, also the UK-region.So, if someone is able to make more sceenery, I would be happy to download updates.Lars Peter.

Not just 26 :-)26 is just the limit for the night tiles :-( The limit of the day tiles is unknown. UK is the largest region going from aaaa to cvcv.Elevation, FLED, day tiles, model placement, airports... all was working in this range.The amount of work and time for such a large area can be archived by a group only. It's too much for a single builder. You will need about 2 evenings to build 1 tile. :-wave agtim

I was just thinkig about full (day+night) region. I'm not going to rebuild the SFO region because of the amount of work. I'll rather use FS to fly there.B.Adamski

Hello Adamski/agtim.Yes mee too so far I guess.I know making new sceenery is a lot of work made by a team.and I do not have the spare time to sit down on my computer to learn and do it.Employed people and my company takes a lot of time.Real life takes all my time, but I do fire up the FU3 simulator on spare times to see the news, and flying this masterpiece of software.For my computer this is still a nr.1 of software.Take care.Lars Peter.:-wave

Guest fu3

Andre,I was 'binning' my CPD files and your textfile says:"7. After all is done you will find ( sort by filetype !) 101 large .tga files 16385KB each. L0aaaa.tga to L0ajaj.tga and L0blank.tga. the blank tile is the replacement tile for missing one."But there's only 100 TGAs and no L0blank.tga file :-( Obviously, you provide one later (in the add-on stuff), but is it necessary? I edited one of your batch files to generate one anyway. It's in the zip attached.You'll probably tell me it wasn't necessary ;-)BTW, what tiles have you flattened and how are we going to combine them?Regards,Jon Point

Hi Jon,You must locate the original blank0.cpd file to get it as tga.The blank tile is used from level 4 up in the original LG version.The original blank tile will exist on the CD, its a mix of water, land and mountains including elevation and it was used to fill the northern part of the region but never as level 0 to 4.Now with the change the new water blank tile is used in the level 0 also. Its not a perfect texture just quick and simple patches from water textures, can be made better :-).I did more elevation to the north, see geos, so there are hills with water texture, caution when in low altitude ;-)Flattening: Project was freezed the last time, but Everet and Martha Lake is done, just pushed the models , no new one.I will send the mod and geos to you next week.(tiles: are aeah and aeai) :-wave agtim

Guest ChrisDS

>Flattening: Project was freezed the last time, but Everet and>Martha Lake is done, just pushed the models , no new one.>I will send the mod and geos to you next week.>(tiles: are aeah and aeai)>> :-wave agtimQuestion for Andr