Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

FlyBert is still alive...

Guest twsimfan

... and if not exactly well at least recovering...First off I have to say I'm sorry I haven't been following any forums for the past few months. My sciatica took a turn for the worse in November and I have not had the level of concentration needed to run any sim... driving or flying. I'll get back to it but it may be a while yet.I hadn't heard from FlyBert (Bob Stiles) since May or June so I was very surprised this afternoon when he called me. I had been afraid that he had dropped off of the map entirely and we would never hear from him again. He has apparently been in 8 different hospitals and / or nursing homes since that last contact and he is in one now.Apparently his computer also died about the time all of this started. His brother is working on rebuilding the system with a new high end motherboard and Bob hopes to eventually be back with us. :)

Guest fu3

Tom,Good to hear from you, I'd been wondering where everyone got to. Sorry to hear about the sciatica but at least you say that you're on some kind of mend! Tricky stuff - I've had a 'touch' since my dirt bike days - and I'm not looking forward to it in the future... I know what you mean about the concentration - sometimes I can lie or stand but just sitting here is quite painful. Like right now that I'm thinking about it (grind, grind) :-roll I just have to live a 'life in cotton wool' to manage it. Short walks are OK but I even avoid the beach if the swell is >2ft.Glad to hear to hear that Flybert is still with us ;-) ;-) Please send my regards & I'll look forward to seeing him back online soon. Things've been a bit quiet(er) around here :-wave Regards,Jon Point

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all meet up for a "chat" some time soon.....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Stearman

Hi Tom, I'm very happy to read your news about Bob. Also that you're progressing well from your sciatica. As Chris said, it would be very nice if we could ever have one of those chats again...Best wishes,

Guest twsimfan

Guys,I don't have any way to get in touch with Bob at present but I'll be sure to pass your sentiments on to him the next time he contacts me.Jon,Yeah... sciatica is the pits. I was getting to where I could go some nights without pills and wasn't as consumed by the constant pain but when it decided to take the 2nd leg in mid November that all went out the window. Most days I can't stand for long or walk very far without having to rest but the worst days are the ones when I can't sit down... that kind of limits your options. I wish I could predict that you would get over it with time but it doesn't seem to work that way. Some people get it and get over it in a few days... the rest... like me... pretty much have it for life. I'll just be glad if I can get back to where I was in early November. Of course at that time I didn't realize how good I had it. :-lol I was 17 months into right leg (and cheek) only and thought life was tough. ;)Chris & Daniel,At the moment I'd have trouble trying to sit long enough to get through a chat. Hopefully when Bob gets back I'll be up to it. :)

Ahh, it seems that I am familiar with this "sciatica" pain, if only for a brief period. One of my vertebrae was slightly out of position over a year ago, and I had to visit an osteopath to get it put back into position. It was causing me to suffer pain from my left buttock all the way down to the achilles tendon !!Fortunately, the pain slowly faded away a week or so after the treatment.As for the possibility of a chat, I am really looking forward to it. I had almost forgotten about them, and it would be nice to catch up with a few "old" friends ;-) I wonder if we can get those Aussies out of bed early enough to join in ?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

Early enough?It's 1:42 here right now :-lolA chat sounds good!Regards,Jon Point

Guest fu3

Chris,IF you don't mind it with a Beechjet cockpit :-rollThere's something majorly amiss with my editing of the 340 cockpit *:-*Regards,Jon Point

Jon,Well, I could at least test the low speed flight characteristics ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Tom, please pass on my greetings from the old country. With Bob being absent the only Norwegians here would be Lars and me so we definitely need to get him back :-)Hans Petter

Guest CaptRolo

Tom ; Good to hear from you .and about Flybert ,Hope you are feeling better as the days pass.I'm working 6 12hr days next week and my back will be hurting from that. Doc gave me anti inflamation pills ,not the good ones .CaptRolo

Guest fu3

Chris,OK, I'll recompile it with a fresh Beechjet resfile. It'll take a few evenings, unless you want an unfinished BA livery too ;-)Regards,Jon Point

Jon,Actually, it might be a good idea not to bother sending me the S340 at the moment. I am having problems with low framerates in GT Legends and GTR2, and I suspect that a "reformat and reinstall" process is in the works. I probably won't install Flight Unlimited III until I know that I am going to use it.Sorry to mess you around :-)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

Chris,No, it's no problem - I DO need to do it anyway. Besides, I've recently undertaken to re-partitioning some of my HD 'coz I had the 'go slows' too. My Windows partition got all full of c**p (as they do - hence why the separate partition) but it's really grown in the past 12-18 months and I find that I need a larger partition :-roll I've moved everything across from my D: drive and I'll put another copy of NT there.Up until 12 months ago (and for ~4 years beforehand...), I could get away with ~2Gb out of 4 for the OS but now I'm going for 10Gb :-eek XP Pro already uses >8Gb in the other (new, clean) PC!I don't have to worry about my work, downloads, images, multiple FU3 copies or FU3 WIP as they'll stay in their own partitions but I'll re-install everything else nice and clean.That leaves the C: drive (4Gb) for a swap file :-lolRegards,Jon Point