Sign in to follow this  
Roger Over

Cockpit Builder

Hi all,Question: IF (notice the stress on IF) it were possible to revisit Gideon's amazing cockpit builder and add new features, what kind of things would we like added?I don't know what is possible at this stage, but some feedback would be good.Cheers,Bruce H

Guest fu3

Bruce,The main thing I'd like is to be able to place and edit the 'new' instruments, like GPS, digital RMI, speed tapes etc. I tried to do a 'glass' cockpit for the S340 which resulted in big problems, as I had to hex-edit all the values (and I find it easy to make mistakes when doing this...). The final crunch was that the B400 panel crashes when the engines are changed to props - I have no idea why. Being able to add GPS to a prop plane (to use that as a base) would be great :-hahAnsgar can possibly help you a bit here, as he managed to decode the instruments (to hex level) in the first place. The 747 panel is an example of what is achievable but I'd just like to be able to place the GPS in other planes.My other great wish is to be able to overlay the map on the GPS but I think I'm dreaming now... :-rollThe other 'revisitation' would be to sort out the gear door problem in planeunlimited.exe. Again, Ansgar knows what needs to be done, if you ask him. Regards,Jon Point

Hi Bruce,Just as reminder, see this entry from 2003http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchGideon has provided a link to the Source files of all his FU3 Tools.You will find the CockpitDesigner, ResViewer, ModelViewer...The full set is stored in a zip ready to import in Microsoft C++ VisualStudio as Project.You must have good C++ knowledge to be able to understand and modify the programs, I take some info from it but never found the time to make an update to ResViewer or CockpitDesigner. This is Gideon Dev Site: http://gpdev.net/Downloads.html :-wave agtim

Hi Jon / Andre,Thanks for the comments. I don't think I would do the code but perhaps a friend of mine would be prepared to take it on if there was the demand.But it looks like Jon is the only one doing cockpit design? Or are there others out there who are totally happy? :-jumpy CheersBruce H

Hi Bruce,I am using CockpitDesigner and happy with it, but not so heavily than Jon.I just try to convert the Beechjet into a Hawker Hunter but still under construction and with crashes. :-wave agtim

Guest fu3

Andre,Do the crashes happen when using cockpit views? The S340 can chug along all day until when you go back to F2 or F3 views, it crashes :-grr :-grr I thought it was the prop engines but no - an earlier, jet-engined flight model still does it (read stock B400)This is why I'd rather get the GPS into other planes, because there's *something* with the other instruments, that when changed, causes problems with the B400 cockpit. The Bravo also has some weird stuff happening - to do with the engine levers though :-roll Regards,Jon Point

Hi Jon,Yes it's exactly that, back from a sideview to the front and from time to time it's freezing then ctd.I have deleted the GPS instruments, not needed for a Hunter.Did not a lot the last time, will have to solve airmodel settings too.Eliminate 1 turbine and modify anything a avoid the flameout at diving.A military jet must be able to dive without flameout I think :)There was a German Tornado crashing in the Swiss Alpes last week.I just use my unfinished Hunter to simulate the Tornado flightpath again - but without crash. :-wave agtim