Sign in to follow this  
pastorpilot

Any FU-3 issues under Vista?

Greetings, My new machine will have Vista Ult. Has any one had any issues running under Vista, I should know about? As per a previous post here, I am planning to just transfer my FU-3 folder to the new machine without re-install. I remember (years ago) there was some issue with N-vidia cards, and seems like there was a patch, or something. The new machine has an NVida 8800GTX. The old one has a 5500 series NVidia card. So I'm assuming that if it works with that card, it should work with the new one. Does that sound right?Thanks,Steve

Well, it seems it's just the two of us here right now :-)I don't know about Vista but I know that XP presented some installation problems. However, once the sim is installed there are no issues. Hence, it's fair to assume that the copy and paste procedure will work fine. If Agtim drops by he can tell us why there are problems running the standard installation under XP. I'm still using Windows 2000. I bought it and it has served me well. A spin-off here might be to discuss the benefits of upgrading to XP or Vista. My concern is that the more recent OSes present more overhead without providing any real gains. Yes, I'm actually tempted to buy a state-of-the-art computer and install my good ol' Win 2000 once more. I consider this OS to be an "XP-lite" since the kernels are similar and the drivers are all XP. I know of one issue, namely that some FS addons require XP or higher due to their use of some changed APIs. FSX requires XP or higher, possibly by design in order to push the latest OS. So, can anyone provide a compelling reason to go XP or Vista for other reasons than FSX? Or, for the majority of today's simmers who are running XP already, why Vista? For FU3 I guess the answer is simple -- any OS will do but it will certainly help to get a more powerful processor. In other words, hardware counts while the OS hardly matters.

Thank you again Hans ...You are right... I understand the situation with any Windows OS will work with FU3... I liked Win 98 the best... when it was "lean and mean." Unfortunately, Microsoft has designed it so that the new DX-10 instructions will only work under Vista. If it wasn't for that, I would stay with XP. Vista has shown itself to be a slower system for a number of games, from what I read. They COULD make DX-10 backwards compatible to XP, I think (I'm no computer whiz) but I believe it is a marketing decision DX-10 will provide some incredible eye candy to FSX and a number of games... although Flight Sims are all I'm interested in. Also, I was wrong on saying Vista Ultimate... I can't think of the designation... Its the next one up from the basic Home Edition... but its not the "Pro" whatever they call it version... the one in the middle. No, if it were just an FU3 decision... there would be no decision. I'd stick with XP.When you speak of "overhead," I think you are talking about all of the services and programs running in the background. There are programs (I have one for XP) that shuts down all of that useless garbage while you are running your flight sim.In the processor department... Prices have just dropped on the Intel Core 2 Duo Series, as you may know. I chose an E6700 and will liquid cool. I have a great young computer builder living close to me who has built for 5 years. He's an excellent young man with great integrity. He has absolutely 100% customer feedback satisfaction on E-Bay where he advertises. John creates great machines perfroming at "Alienware" qulity/levels for hundreds less. He is expecting a 4 ghz overclock with a Koolance EXOS-2 liquid cooling system. That speed is absolutely ridiculous to achieve for FU-3, but if you have heard, Microsoft wrote FSX about 2 years ahead of the hardware. They usually do that, but this "stretch" they have made seems a little too bold to me. Sad to say, it takes about about $2000 + in computer parts to get FSX flying decently (FPS).Trouble is... I LOVE FU-3... but being a real world Instrument Pilot/Flight Instructor (only recreational now) ... the options ARE somewhat limited in FU-3. But oh my... the scenery for its time... was so excellent in FU-3. And with all the addons for UK-S... what a great little sim ... still.Thanks again for your response and help, Hans. Have a nice day. Not sure where you are. You may be over the pond. I am in Indiana.Take care and God bless,Steve

A quick search on "vista versions" provided "Home Premium" as the correct answer. Regarding DirectX 10, I read a few weeks ago that it wasn't out yet. Thus, FSX is being shipped Direct X 10 ready but for the time being there's no next-generation DirectX available.Regarding your real flight experience, how would you rate our sims? After all, flightsimming is mostly about simulated flight even though we don't mind the eye candy aspect. Which options do you find limited in FU3? Further, how is FS doing regarding the same options/features? To me the most fundamental aspect of a flight model is its flight dynamics. If the plane doesn't handle in a convincing manner when you handfly it it's really a moot point to dress it up with a detailed panel, an accurate visual model and a stunning paintjob. Regarding the pond you're right, I'm on the opposite side. I'm located in Bergen, Norway :-)

>To me the most fundamental aspect of a flight model is its flight dynamics. If the plane doesn't handle in a >convincing manner when you handfly it it's really a moot point to dress it up with a detailed panel, an >accurate visual model and a stunning paintjob.You're absolutely right, and that's one of the many reasons why I don't like MSFS these days. What really puzzles me though, is that some real world pilots claim that the flight models in MSFS are very accurate, and others think that they are rubbish :-hmmm Anyway, I'm sticking to FU3 until a next generation spiritual successor to the Flight Unlimited series appears, and that could very well be the twelfth of never ! :) To be honest, I haven't actually reinstalled FU3 yet since my hard disk reformat several months ago. I am far too busy having lots of fun with GT Legends. If there are any racing fans out there that haven't yet tried this amazing simulation (and who don't mind installing Starforce), then get yourselves a copy PRONTO. It really is the best racing game of all time.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Stearman

> I am far too busy> having lots of fun with GT Legends. If there are any racing> fans out there that haven't yet tried this amazing simulation> (and who don't mind installing Starforce), then get yourselves> a copy PRONTO. It really is the best racing game of all time.I miss the 60's and 70's Sports & GT prototypes in a simulation such as GT Legends (read Ferrari P3/4 and 512, Ford GT40, Chaparrals, Porsche 917, Lola T70, etc). The car selection in GT Legends reminds me of Rally Trophy, which is really nice, but it lacks 'something' to me. I use the CSGT mod for F1C 99-02 when I want to recreate that era.Anyhow, I might give it a try, so please fill me in a bit on that 'Starforce' thing...On the other hand, I wonder what your experience with Grand Prix Legends has been, if any at all. It is wonderful to me with today's hardware and the latest mods, specially the 1969 mod. I have been helping to produce the Montjuich Park track for that mod, maybe you might want to have a look at it here: http://montjuich.speedgeezers.com/ and, at least, get the promotional video. I hope you do and enjoy it.

Hi Hans!>A quick search on "vista versions" provided "Home Premium" as>the correct answer. Regarding DirectX 10, I read a few weeks>ago that it wasn't out yet. Thus, FSX is being shipped Direct>X 10 ready but for the time being there's no next-generation>DirectX available.Thank you... yes that is it "Home Premium." Actually, I am we may dual boot the new computer and have both XP AND Vista on there. >Regarding your real flight experience, how would you rate our>sims? After all, flightsimming is mostly about simulated>flight even though we don't mind the eye candy aspect. Which>options do you find limited in FU3? Further, how is FS doing>regarding the same options/features? To me the most>fundamental aspect of a flight model is its flight dynamics.>If the plane doesn't handle in a convincing manner when you>handfly it it's really a moot point to dress it up with a>detailed panel, an accurate visual model and a stunning>paintjob. You and I are in the same cockpit, here. In fact I think the reason Peter and his "committee" admitted me to the Beta Team on FU-3 was he wanted some real world pilots with experience to criticize the flight models. There is one more sim out there, whose name slips my mind... I have never tried it, but they say the flight models are excellent. Since you brought this up, I've spent some time reviewing FS-9... and I don't have anything yet that will run FSX decently. Long story short... if flight models one's only concern... then the default planes in FU-3 are very good. In fact the minimum controlable airspeed tests I ran were so gratifying again. Stall/spin characteristics are very good. Also the rudder effectiveness in crosswind landings. Now aeorbatics are another subject... the snap rolls are a bit questionable... but that's another flight regime.I choose FSX for IFR flight for numerous reasons... ATC quality (though not perfect -- no STARS and SIDS and "pop up" IFR clearances are not good) but mostly, ATC is excellent. I love scenery... and there are some addons that play in FSX that just blow me away... when you combine photo realistic scenery with some of the new mesh available ... wow.... as they say ... its about as real as it gets. I don't like their autogen feature very well. 'Cept for the snow, the default clouds are spectacular (I'm sure we all know about our liability here, but a few months ago... didn't I read that someone was working on that. The Lori Doering files helped immensely but the only redeeming thing about our cloud problem is the REALITY of those spectacular rain drops on the windshield!! ;^) ... and there is ActiveSky and some other awesome addons in the department... plus the mulit player arena and VATSIM to fly IFR... The third party participation is amazing. And so much free ware that is good. The availability of the whole world has been talked to death on this forum in years past. But if you want it... you have it.I could go on and on about MSFS ... don't want to waste our time... This is an FU-3 forum. I could sing the praises of my sentimental favorite for a long time. Quick load times... simple set up... the miracle buttons... The views are excellent especially quick access to F-5 view.I don't care how spectacular things become in MSFS... even as flight models improve... and they have some, thankfully... and some of the third party planes are VERY good... none the less... FU-3 will always be on my hard drive!!! And especially Andre's homeland... My favorite of all.Best wishes all!Steve

Starforce is the copy protection software that is used in GT Legends. Some people claim that it can interfere with your system, particularly CD/DVD drives. Personally, I have never had a problem with it.As for GT Legends, it's an absolute gem. I also have GTR2 (which is very good), but I personally feel that the car physics in GT Legends are the best that have ever been developed for a racing simulation. Some of the more powerful cars (particularly the American muscle cars from the GTC-65 championship) can be a real handful, but then that's what they were really like ! I love the way that I can out brake a Ford Mustang into corners in my Mini Cooper S, and then watch it blast past me down a long straight. That massive V8 engine sounds fantastic when this happens :-)Seriously, I can't get enough of GT Legends at the moment, and I'm only racing against the AI cars. Short races (between 15 and 25kms) are my favourite, and I always start at the back of a grid of 36 cars (a mix of TC-65 and GTC-65). I also save the replays, so that I can watch the race from any angle later. This is awesome entertainment by itself !I am well aware of Grand Prix Legends. I have two copies of the Sold Out version, and it was the only racing simulation that I played before the original GTR appeared. However, despite the fact that it is still a great game, it's doubtful that I will ever play it again. I just prefer racing real cars, even though the 1967 F1 cars are light years ahead of that modern crap as far as enjoyable driving is concerned.I now have a Saitek R220 Digital wheel, and throttle/brake pedals unit. It's great to be able to drive these cars properly, even if I don't have a clutch !On a side note, I have recently requested a John Player Special colour scheme for the Lotus Elise in GTR2 (IMO, the JPS black and gold colours should be on a Lotus ONLY). Moatlspeed (a regular on the RSC racing forums) is putting the finishing touches to this, so I should be able to drive it very soon.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png