Sign in to follow this  
Guest Annihilannic

New to FU3

Guest Annihilannic

I was given a copy of the SoldOut Software release of Flight Unlimited III the other day, so it prompted me to chuck out the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro which has been driving me nuts since the day I got it (as did its replacement) and get a decent joystick (Saitek Cyborg Evo Force).FU3 is great considering its age, but I think the SoldOut Software release is terrible... no keyboard quick reference, no airport maps (I presume there were some with the original version?), and a next-to-useless manual.If it wasn't for this site I'd have been completely lost. I've got the airport map guide, updated scenery, trees, etc. installed now. Thanks for the excellent resources!Just a few things... is it possible to run this game in 1280x1024 (native resolution of my LCD) by hacking with the .cfg somehow; I couldn't see anything?I did the 40 minute corporate flight (Beechcraft shuttle for Boeing) and got 24 out of 100... was I supposed to use my radio or something? Is there any way to get more detail on what I did wrong? When I tried to use the radio it just said it was turned off or something... I guess I should do the training stuff.I'm sure there was more I wanted to ask, but I'll post 'em as I think of 'em.

Surprising as it may seem, the original boxed copy of FU3 doesn't include a map of the Seattle region. There is a manual, although this is nowhere near as impressive as the superb one that came with the boxed version of Flight Unlimited 2.By the way, if you don't have a copy of FU2, then GET ONE ! You can use the San Francisco scenery region with FU3, and this is (in my opinion) vastly superior to the Seattle scenery area. Unfortunately, you will have to reinstall FU3 from scratch if you want to add the FU2 San Francisco scenery, but don't let that bother you. It's worth every penny, and this one DOES include a map of the region !FU2 is no longer available from the Sold Out website, but you should be able to find a copy in the shops (or on eBay).Whilst I'm here, I'll recommend the following addons for FU3:-Seattle 2005SanFran 2006High Detail AI PackI won't bore you with the details (although I can send you all three via e-mail if you so wish), other than to say that these three packs considerably improve the airports, aircraft, and scenery of both high resolution regions with minimal effort.If you want me to e-mail them to you, then respond to this post using the following address:-Christopher dot Low at btinternet dot comBest Wishes, and welcome to the wonderful world of FU3 :-)PS. 1024x768 is the MAXIMUM resolution available in FU3.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Annihilannic

Thanks for the advice.Well, I've been having lots of fun playing this, doing some of the training... I found that it took a bit of a leap from the 'night flying' section (just a basic overview of the external lights) to the VOR and ILS approaches, where it suddenly introduced a whole bunch of TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) without bothering to explain them... maybe I'll understand it better further down the track.So I went off to try a few challenges, the stranded hikers on Mt. Rainier I find next to impossible... where on earth are you supposed to land it on the glacier?? I can't see anything even remotely flat near where the people are on the mountain. I've managed to put it down on the mountain side a couple of times, but nowhere near enough to actually pick them up, and often resulting in some landing gear damage. Mayday! :-)The hoops are fun, I got a "record time" of 281 (12 penalties) with the P-51D in Hoops2 on the first attempt... was that good?Shame about the max resolution... is it possible to copy the contents of the scenery CDs into the game directory or something to save the slow load times from CD? Or would I be better off imaging and mounting the CD from my hard drive?I have to say the weather modelling is beautiful, especially flying through heavy cloud... spot on!'later,Anni

Guest CaptRolo

Anni; Welcome to our forum , There's a map in flight planner and I did a printscreen shot printed it out and laminated it .. works ok for me. CaptRolo